Heart Disease & PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Disease & PB

I need advise including links or articles.

OK - I'm a convert. I have not had any Milk (a few bites of cheese) or Grains (Oatmeal in the AM a couple of times and Rice once or twice) for the last 5 weeks and am following the Lift Heavy/Super Slow weights lifestyle but... I'm having a meal by meal problem convincing my wife that just because I've had two heart stents and was on Crestor for cholesterol management (stopped it two weeks ago) I can have eggs + yolks daily along with nuts (Macadamias & Almonds) as snacks.

Does anybody have a few quick links I can show or articles talking about why cholesterol is not the heart killer it's cracked up to be and why eggs including yolks are actually good for you? Would really appreciate some feedback so my wife can rest easy and I can continue on with the program in a happy house.

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!
    My Leptin Reset Thread

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36932.html

Comment

Why you should eat more (not less) cholesterol

I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care

'Bad' cholesterol not as bad as people think, study shows
      There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
      Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Go to Proteinpower.com/drmike/ Today the first post has a book recommendation written for doctors so it has lots of studies.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

For heart health, it seems wise to avoid daily nut consumption due to their inflammatory properties and high Omega-6 content. Not that you shouldn't eat them, they are a great source of many things! But in your state of heart disease, I'd recommend ditching them for the most part. I've relegated my nut consumption to once a week based on piles of articles and advice, but that's my own take. Do your own reading and decide for yourself whether or not nuts are safe. That said, look on Youtube for the Big Fat Fiasco series. Have her watch that! She'll be begging you for forgiveness.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Show her the Track Your Plaque website. It's written by an MD cardiologist. Whether or not it's right or wrong I can't say, but the big MD and "cardiologist" are what finally managed to convince my dad to move over to a primal/paleo lifestyle to save his heart.
            Check out my blog at www.themedstudentblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks all for the comments, feedback and links. Off to do my research, etc.

Comment

Personally I think if you already have coronary heart disease, the game changes quite a bit. The effects of dietary fat and cholesterol on already clogged arteries may be quite different than their effects on healthy ones. I'd just be really careful about accepting advice from an internet forum in this matter.

Comment

I would try to discuss this with a paleo dr if you can find one. Otherwise maybe throw a question at Dr Davis on the track your plaque blog here: Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online

You do need to avoid ALL inflammatory foods as they will worsen your heart disease. I would be eating HEAPS of vegetables. Maybe take a look at Dr Terry Wahls version of the paleo diet, it has been designed for illness and is a healing/preventive diet (she had progressive MS). Terry Wahls MD | Defeating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis without Drugs | MS Recovery | Food As Medicine and her facebook page which she is personally on: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...50956531629073

Here are a few clinical studies:

Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet... [Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Metabolic and physiologic improvements from ... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.co...-7075-8-75.pdf

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/u...1-Bastos-3.pdf
                  Last edited by Raine; 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Primalest View Post
                    Show her the Track Your Plaque website. It's written by an MD cardiologist. Whether or not it's right or wrong I can't say, but the big MD and "cardiologist" are what finally managed to convince my dad to move over to a primal/paleo lifestyle to save his heart.
                    I would second this- it's written by Dr. William Davis. He has extensive information showing that wheat, low D3 levels, hormone levels and sugar are some of the major causes of heart disease than the long standing view of cholesterol and fat leading to plaque build up.
                    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

Watch this series Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1 - YouTube (pts 1-6) on youtube.... LOTS of answers.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dig62 View Post
                        Personally I think if you already have coronary heart disease, the game changes quite a bit. The effects of dietary fat and cholesterol on already clogged arteries may be quite different than their effects on healthy ones. I'd just be really careful about accepting advice from an internet forum in this matter.
                        I'm pretty sure the OP is just gathering a lot of medical info from doctors with help from folks here. The "it's basically caused by systemic inflammation" view is shared by my own cardiologist MD as well.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Also, consider supplementing vitamin K2

Whole Health Source: Can Vitamin K2 Reverse Arterial Calcification?

Comment

Working...
                          X