magnesium-makes me restless and wired:S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnesium-makes me restless and wired:S

has anyone else had this happen to them? ive tried taking the natural calm right before bed or a few hours before, and each time i wake up very quickly and im superrrr restless i cant stop tossing and turning.. this goes against everything ive heard of magnesium supplementation near bed. this has happened with a teaspoon up to a tablespoon. thoughts?

Thankfully I have not experienced that. For me it helps the insomnia. Some people react different to different things. I got wired and could have climbed the ceiling on morphine after a surgery. Ephedrine made me tired. Maybe this is just one of those backwards things for you? Could it be you dont need the mag?

Comment

I don't have trouble sleeping when I take magnesium but I do have crazy, vivid dreams when I take it.
      My Primal Journal
      My Blog - Project Frankie/

Comment

I've noticed that Magnesium is a two step thing for me. When I take it, I will get the sleep urge about 30 minutes after it hits my stomach or so. This will knock me right out. If for whatever reason I wake up or resist this initial sleep urge then I am like you; wired and totally unable to sleep. Taking more magnesium unfortunately doesn't calm me down at this point as I learned by mistake one really unfortunate night.

Comment

Yes, the exact same thing happens to me! I have tried several times and always have the same reaction. It makes me pee a lot too, so I keep avoiding it :s

Comment

Me too, I thought it would help me sleep, but it wires me up too

Comment

I hadn't heard that, but I usually take mine around 3pm or so. Maybe change the timing?
              Durp.

Comment

Same effects as others have metioned, Gotta go right to bed and settle in. I get the most vivid dreams. Accidentally double dosed a couple of times(not paying attention I guesse. I know what to use as a laxative if I ever need it.
                Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Start taking it first thing in the morning if it wires you. I guess you just work a little differently ;-)
                  Check out my blog at www.themedstudentblog.blogspot.com

Comment

LOL, are you related to my horse? I started her on a magnesium supp, used to calm horses down and she has been a raving lunatic ever since. I took her off it. I know in horses if they don't have the deficiency, they just pee it out. I have also read (from a seller of magnesium supps) that it doesn't read right on blood tests (in horses) and that a deficiency requires a really large supplementation to get corrected. OTOH, if you get too carried away, you can stop their heart with it.

Good luck- and why do people take magnesium?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I take magnesium because it helps with migraines. When I get them, they last for 3 days solid. I've gone from once every week or so to very rarely, maybe one every 3 or 4 months since taking it. The migraines were so severe and frequent that I even got FMLA at work for them (I look at shiny things in the desert sun for a living).
                      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        Good luck- and why do people take magnesium?
                        Check out the book The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Carolyn Dean. Magnesium helps with heart disease (she specifically discusses how we shouldn't be taking calcium without mag as well), blood clots, hypertension, migraines, diabetes, muscle spasms, anxiety, asthma...and many more (that's all I can remember off the top of my head!)...
                        ~Cori
                        Rockin' a New Way of Life

Comment

I take magnesium when I get muscle twitches in my legs. I have a hard time sleeping once in awhile also that might be related to that. If I get up and take a tsp of honey I usually fall to sleep within 10 minutes. I am not sure why that works but it seems to.

Comment

I'm the same. Switched it to the morning

Comment

i never thought to take it in the morning that seems worth a shot! btw classic is you read this the reason a tsp of honey would help you fall asleep is because you are waking up due to your blood glucose levels dropping too low so a nice shot of sugar regulates it and drops you right back into dodo land lol

Comment

Working...
                              X