I'm sick and frustrated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sick and frustrated!

Ok, so I went to the Dr. after 5 days of horrific pain and he confirmed I have shingles. I'm only 26 so he thinks it is definitely caused by a lowered immune system most likely due to stress. I HATE taking prescriptions but he gave me an anitviral and insisted that I really need to take it. Just wondering if anyone has any information on how to boost my immune system? I eat primal foods and take New Chapter multivitamins, probiotics, and drink an ounce of liquid chlorophyl every morning, I feel like I should be healthy and it's really frustrating to get such a stupid illness when I am trying so hard to be healthy.

That's what I thought would happen... glad you went to the Dr, sorry you had to though. Did you say on your other thread that you had been under a lot of stress? That'll do it.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Shingles sucks...sorry you are suffering It is good you went in though - shingles pain can be long term if things get too out of control.

How are your vitamin D levels? Vitamin D is very important for good immune function and many, many people are deficient. Other immune boosters include kelp (iodine) and oysters (zinc).

I would also suggest taking L-lysine. It works well for some people as an anti-viral.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
        Shingles sucks...sorry you are suffering It is good you went in though - shingles pain can be long term if things get too out of control.

How are your vitamin D levels? Vitamin D is very important for good immune function and many, many people are deficient. Other immune boosters include kelp (iodine) and oysters (zinc).

I would also suggest taking L-lysine. It works well for some people as an anti-viral.
        +1

I have a good friend that it took a loooonnnnggg time to get better. Definitely work on the stress. She needed narcotics to deal w/ the pain. Hang in there - you can get better! Definitely take more vit D3 also.

Comment

Originally posted by ar0e View Post
          and drink an ounce of liquid chlorophyl every morning
          Why?
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Take the anti-virals...don't mess with shingles.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Be careful with shingles it can go to your eyes if you don't take your meds and effect your vision, and go to your brain. Did your dr run any blood tests to check your cd4/cd8 etc levels to see IF your immune system is actually down???. Or did they just assume it?. Have you had any major viral illnesses like mono/glandular fever recently?.

If your immune system is chronically down I can suggest an immune modular that you could look into. It's natural but very potent, so needs to be taken with caution. You can't use it if you have seizures or an autoimmune disease. It has had good success in quite a few people with a chronically low/weak immune system, but you need to discuss it with your doctor.

More info here: Equilibrant
              Last edited by Raine; 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                Why?
                I started taking it before I went primal to help control the occasional pimples I would get and it's a good source of magnesium. I also had a sore throat a few days before and I gargled with the chlorophyl and it felt better by the next day. I figure it can't be hurting anything to keep taking it, I could be wrong though because obviously I'm not doing very well :/

Comment

Did you suffer from chickenpox in your childhood?
                  I have heard that it happens if you got chickenpox in your childhood.

Comment

Once you've had chickenpox the virus can lay dormant for a while and pops up as shingles usually when stressed, immune system down.

Comment

Originally posted by TDrenthe View Post
                      Did you suffer from chickenpox in your childhood?
                      I have heard that it happens if you got chickenpox in your childhood.
                      I had the chickenpox twice as a child, that was actually a deciding factor in the diagnosis for some reason. The doctor wasn't certain it was shingles because I don't have the huge, oozing blisters just a few itchy bumps, but once he asked me about the chickenpox he was sure.

Does anyone know if antivirals are detrimental to the digestive tract like antibiotics? I usually take extra probiotics after taking antibiotics, should I do that when I'm done with the antivirals as well?

Comment

Ugh, hope you feel better soon. I second the recommendations of vitamin D.

I am seeing more and more young people getting shingles, and while it does have to do with a lowered immune system to a degree, it also has a lot to do with chickenpox not being common "in the wild" anymore. When someone has had chickenpox, later exposure to children with chickenpox acts as a natural booster shot. I finally gave in and had my oldest child vaccinated at 10 because he never caught it naturally--it's part of the regular vaccination schedule now, so most kids get the shot. It makes me think that we're about to see an epidemic of shingles, not just in the elderly, but young folks as well. As it is, drugstores have started advertising the shingles shot (for 60+) along with the flu shot. The NHS in the UK does not recommend the chickenpox vaccine for that very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ar0e View Post
                          just a few itchy bumps
                          I would be VERY suspicious of a doctor who decides a few itchy bumps are diagnostic of shingles. I can't recall EVER seeing a patient in my practice with shingles who didn't have significant pain, typically BEFORE the eruption of vesicles (clear small blisters) on bright red bases. I always get a viral culture from one of these vesicles (sometimes it is HSV). For your symtpoms, I think your doctor is reaching and potentially inappropriately medicating you.

Comment

I suggest you to do some yoga exercise or mediation as these two exercise are very effective in making your mind relax and in that you will come out from your stressed mind which may help to improve your health and immune system. Primal foods are very healthy foods, so follow the same.

Comment

Originally posted by reflex View Post
                              I would be VERY suspicious of a doctor who decides a few itchy bumps are diagnostic of shingles. I can't recall EVER seeing a patient in my practice with shingles who didn't have significant pain, typically BEFORE the eruption of vesicles (clear small blisters) on bright red bases. I always get a viral culture from one of these vesicles (sometimes it is HSV). For your symtpoms, I think your doctor is reaching and potentially inappropriately medicating you.
                              Yeah, don't listen to your doctor who is a trained professional and saw you in person, listen to some random dude from the internet.

If you want a second opinion, go see another doctor. It's asinine to ask 'The Internet' the best way to treat a medical condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X