Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How isn't this clogging up our arteries?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How isn't this clogging up our arteries?

Hi all

I'm a new primalist

I just have a real concern with the number of eggs as well as bacon and general fat that we are now eating. Though we are losing weight, that doesn't necessarily mean we are healthier - plenty of skinny people drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol.

I am not trying to be critical cause I don't know enough about it to comment yet, but am a little bit concerned as to the long term affects of this high fat diet, so was just wondering of anyone who's more educated on the subject could please fill me in

Thanks very much hope you're having a great day

Fatboy (Percy King)

Please watch this series... there are some excellent explanations here! Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1 - YouTube
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy View Post

- plenty of skinny people drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol.

Fatboy (Percy King)
      All MI's are from a coronary artery blockage, the size of a patient is not important. Some patients have MI's with low cholestorol and some have high cholestorol. Cholestorol is not a good predictor of coronary disease.

Comment

The real explanation is that fat doesn't work that way.

The silly explanation is shown by an experiment. Splatter a bit of grease from cooking meat on your stove. Then spatter a bit of vegetable oil on the other side. Continue using your stove daily. A week later, see which one wipes more easily, or at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          Please watch this series... there are some excellent explanations here! Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1 - YouTube
          Whoa.

Comment

You don't have to eat bacon and eggs etc, choose lean protein and just use added fat like organic virgin coconut oil, olive oil etc. Chronic inflammation causes heart disease. That's why people shouldn't even have dairy on paleo as it is inflammatory.

Comment

Actually the research is clear and becoming better known - arteriosclerosis is not caused by the amount of cholesterol in your system - that is mainly determined by your liver, anyhow. It is caused when chronic inflammation causes damage to the arterial walls, and cholesterol covers the damage in a repair attempt (that's its job, its job is not to kill you). Blaming cholesterol is like blaming the fireman for the fire. As to "fat" clogging the arteries - fat is digested! It is burned as fuel - that's how you are made. You don't have little bacon bits running around in your bloodstream unless your gut has been punctured by a knife wound or gunshot. Your guts and veins are not like drainpipes getting coated with bacon grease.
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

This is according to my cardiologist doctor and my endocrinologist friend btw. I have had two ultrasound heart scans in the two years since going primal and the result is a diagnosis of "perfect heart function" - hope that helps.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

It's not the fat--it's the combination of fat with grains and starches that causes the problem.

Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist, and he insists that it's grains that are dangerous for the heart.

Sample of one: Some years ago, I was having some gall bladder attack, but there were no stones so no surgery. Fat seemed to bring on the attacks, so my GI suggested that I just eat low fat--which I did for a while. In those days, I was eating minimal grains in the form of some bran crackers and the occasional low carb tortilla. When I cut out all grains, I discovered that I could eat any level of fat with no problem at all.

Comment

"Skinny people who drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol."

These tend to be people who eat too much sugar and don't get enough exercise.

Being skinny is not a sign of good health, especially when it's achieved by avoiding fat and starvation, which causes malnutrition. The moderately obese have double the probability of surviving a heart attack than those in the underweight or ideal weight ranges.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Then if it is the use of both fat and grains that causes artery problems, removing either one might prove efficient for reducing artery clogging? Perhaps that would explain the good results obtained by the very low fat regimen of Mc Dougall and others?

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                        "Skinny people who drop dead from heart attacks due to clogged up arteries and high cholestorol."

These tend to be people who eat too much sugar and don't get enough exercise.

Being skinny is not a sign of good health, especially when it's achieved by avoiding fat and starvation, which causes malnutrition. The moderately obese have double the probability of surviving a heart attack than those in the underweight or ideal weight ranges.
                        I was at the top end of normal BMI, had cholesterol at the top end of normal (5.5 mmol/L) ate very little sugar and got regular exercise yet had a heart attack due to clogged arteries.

Suffice to say that what we are told every day about CVD is mostly rubbish. I have come to the conclusion that while the primal lifestyle is a great way to avoid CVD there are some optimisations that will help and may even help to reverse CVD. These are basically achieving optimal levels of Vitamin D3, Vitamin A, Vitamin K2 and Magnesium. Other micro nutrients have a role but these four seem to be the most important
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

What good results are you referring to? Are there a bunch of people living to 100+ on low fat diets that we have never heard about?

Comment

For example the results of Caldwell B. Esselstyn's 'long-term nutritional research on arresting and reversing coronary artery disease in severely ill patients'. I saw this in the documentary Forks over knives and it was pretty compelling to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by catherine p. View Post
                              Then if it is the use of both fat and grains that causes artery problems, removing either one might prove efficient for reducing artery clogging? Perhaps that would explain the good results obtained by the very low fat regimen of Mc Dougall and others?
                              Wheat in and of itself is inflammatory, so why not cut that and leave the one (fat) that makes your brain work well. Just seems logical to me...
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X