Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kirkland/costco organic butter

Hello,

I sent costco an email asking them if their organic butter is grass fed. This is the response I received:

"The cows that product our Kirkland Signature Organic Butter live outdoors all year-round, with 24-hour access to water, and are fed a nutritionally-balanced diet of organic pasture, organic mixed forages (such as alfalfa hay, grass hay and silages), organic grain (such as soymeal, ground corn, wheat, sunflower and flax seeds) and an organic vitamin and mineral supplement. In addition, they are not given any antibiotics or hormones."

My gut feeling is that I need to find another source for butter. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Beth

My Costco just started selling Kerrygold.

Most of my local butter isn't grass fed year round. We just don't have good pasture all year here. So it's a mix.

Comment

Definitely not grass fed - but not the worst butter you could get either.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
        My Costco just started selling Kerrygold.

Most of my local butter isn't grass fed year round. We just don't have good pasture all year here. So it's a mix.
        Mine started selling kerrygold as well. I continue to be impressed by the quality and diversity of organic food atcostco

Comment

The two Costco's near me STOPPED carrying Kerry Gold recently....so so mad.
          Erin
          Daily Vlogs
          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

It's so frustrating how the good stuff comes and goes at CostCo! I've been LOVING their big cannisters of macadamias (I'm a macadamaniac!), but now the one near me stopped selling them. Sometimes they have organic chicken, sometimes not, sometimes organic spinach, sometimes not... grrr.
            28, female, 5'2"
            Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
            1/12/12: 135 lbs.
            Goal: 120 lbs.

Comment

I second the macadamias. I heard that all Costos are going to stop carrying them. Curious to see if this is true.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to see if my costco carries the kerrygold butter. If not, then I will have to start visiting the trader joe's.

I wish costco carried more organic meat and produce.

Comment

The Trader Joe's in my area sell Kerrygold for $2.79, while the supermarkets sell it for $5.00! Kerrygold is awesome :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ande View Post
                    I second the macadamias. I heard that all Costos are going to stop carrying them. Curious to see if this is true.
                    My Costco was out for a couple of months, then they came back. This past week the macs were no where to be seen. Good news in that I can replenish my bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by something4me View Post
                      Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to see if my costco carries the kerrygold butter. If not, then I will have to start visiting the trader joe's.

I wish costco carried more organic meat and produce.
                      I am getting grassfedlamb (not organic), organic chicken, wild caught fish. For produce: spinach, mixed greens, apples. Organic other: milk, butter, salsa, canned tomatoes, soups. Organic stuff I don't buy: quinoa, corn chips, flax meal,

There are probably other things that I am missing from the list above. I think this is not too bad compared to my alternatives (anchorage, AK). Many other areas have lots of alternatives for getting really good organic produce, not so here, at least until the farmers markets kick in in the summer.

Comment

Side note, if you go to look for the Kerry Gold, at least at my Costco, they did NOT have it with all their other butter. They had it mixed in the deli section near the cheeses usually. So you might have to ask as sometimes its a pain to find. They used to carry raw milk cheeses, but there was an outbreak of something caused by it recently so I suspect that went by the way of the buffalo.

Now if they would just carry some decent bacon I would be set!

I do love my Costco though. I can easily justify the membership costs with what I save on household items (and we are only two, I couldn't imagine the savings with a family). Add in a few of their organic goods, nuts, and the occasional electronic or something and we totally make the most out of it. Its dangerous though, like walking into Walmart. You go in for 4 things come out with 10 plus a TV if you are not careful!
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

My Costco carries Coleman uncured, nitrate-free bacon. I didn't see this for a while, but found it a couple of months ago. You might keep checking to see if your store starts carrying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                            Its dangerous though, like walking into Walmart. You go in for 4 things come out with 10 plus a TV if you are not careful!
                            My sister once went into a Costco to buy envelopes and came out with a zodiac inflatable raft. I went in to buy food a couple of weeks ago and left with a toilet. What's next?

Comment

Mine had wild-caught salmon at a ridiculously low price then I couldn't find it anymore. I asked and they said it was a seasonal item and they only carry it at certain times of year. My last impulse purchase at Costco was a Vita-Mix. I am drinking my own organic green juice from it as I type this. I use that thing every day and never regret the obscene amount of money i spent for a "blender"--which it is a million times better than.

Comment

Working...
                              X