Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peanut butter n peanuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peanut butter n peanuts

    Why can we not eat peanut butter n peanuts? Is it simply the allergy factor or does it stimulate the release of insulin much more than other nuts? TY

  • #3
    It's a shame... good god I love peanut butter.
    Check out my blog at www.themedstudentblog.blogspot.com

    Comment


    • #4
      the good news? there's almond butter.

      Comment


      • #5
        Peanut oil (and therefore peanuts) have a horrible O6:O3. The oil is 34:1, so I believe the nuts would be the same.

        Comment


        • #6
          I can't convince my fiance to get off peanut butter. She loves it... and every time she opens the jar I pause for a good long whiff. Can't help it. My willpower is tested by that alone.
          Journal of an American Dragon: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread89897.html

          Comment


          • #7
            Peanut butter really isn't that bad. Almond butter isn't much better, anyway, so it makes no sense to be pro-almond butter and think peanut butter is the devil. They both have roughly the same n3:n6 ratio, they have almost the same calorie content and their lipid profile is almost the same. Almonds are also prone to alfatoxin, just like peanut butter.

            Ultimately, you'd want to make your own nut butter. Your best options in terms of omega 6 would be macadamia nut butter, hazelnut butter and cashew butter. They are all hugely superior to both peanut and almond butter, and they're very simple to make. All you need is a 16oz bag of nuts, 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a blender and an empty 16oz glass jar. I have a one pound bag of hazelnuts so I'm going to make some myself pretty soon. I made macadamia nut butter once and that was a mistake because I ate the jar in probably 5 days.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              Peanut butter really isn't that bad. Almond butter isn't much better, anyway, so it makes no sense to be pro-almond butter and think peanut butter is the devil. They both have roughly the same n3:n6 ratio, they have almost the same calorie content and their lipid profile is almost the same. Almonds are also prone to alfatoxin, just like peanut butter.
              The only thing really to add to it is the legume factor. I'm still not sure what I think about that yet but Mark does mention that they contain a lot of lectins and such like grains and that is one of the reasons he suggests not eating peanuts. They aren't nuts.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                The only thing really to add to it is the legume factor. I'm still not sure what I think about that yet but Mark does mention that they contain a lot of lectins and such like grains and that is one of the reasons he suggests not eating peanuts. They aren't nuts.
                Yea but nuts contain lectins as well, and they're much higher in phytic acid than grains, too. Nuts shouldn't make up a significant portion of your diet. Occasionally munching on peanuts IMO aren't going to kill you, especially if you normally do almonds. Now, macadamias and hazelnuts are a lot more forgiving. Those are the go-to nuts IMO and they're what I've been going through the fastest. I generally avoid almonds, walnuts and peanuts because of the omega 6 content.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Almond butter def bothers me.. I had some today and did not feel so great immediately after. First time I've had almonds or almond butter in 6 months. I'm glad I nailed it down because I thought something was bothering me when I used to cook with almond flour when I first went primal.

                  Whole foods has a nut butter machine which is cool. You can actually make your nut butter right there in the store, they have 6 different ones setup with different nuts. I'll have to try some macademia nut butter.
                  Primal since March 2011

                  Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Okay~ last night I gave in and ate some peanut butter~ maybe 1T or a little bit more~ this morning, I'm starting a cold sore~ so I google~ seems peanut butter is known to be a trigger food for cold sores~ Won't be doing this again~ abrevia is expensive!

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      My rant on the subject
                      Ancestral Health Info

                      I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

                      Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        Yea but nuts contain lectins as well, and they're much higher in phytic acid than grains, too. Nuts shouldn't make up a significant portion of your diet. Occasionally munching on peanuts IMO aren't going to kill you, especially if you normally do almonds. Now, macadamias and hazelnuts are a lot more forgiving. Those are the go-to nuts IMO and they're what I've been going through the fastest. I generally avoid almonds, walnuts and peanuts because of the omega 6 content.
                        I soak my nuts (pause to ponder rephrasing that, decide I don't care) in salted water for 8-12 hours and dry them overnight in the oven. If you believe Sally Fallon, then you believe it neutralizes some of the phytic acid. If you don't, then you get magical salty nuts! Win-win!

                        Nuts are a sometime-treat. And I can't be trusted with peanut butter. It's just too damn delicious to keep in the house. Almond butter is okay, but nothing like peanut butter taste-wise, IMO. It just lacks that rich, sweet, buttery yumminess.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X