Low Blood Pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Blood Pressure

Does anyone have some suggestions for increasing blood pressure? I've hard that both salt and licorice can be used (I already salt, and I hate licorice!) But I'm sure there are others.

My blood pressure is usually at the extremely low end of 'normal', around 90/60.

And while before I actually used to think, 'wow that's great, it's not high', it's actually not. I go numb if my limbs are elevated, such as having a massage, or even sleeping at night (lying with my hands on my belly) and it's sometimes difficult to get medical procedures done, as they are too worried about my low blood pressure.

Know you guys aren't medical doctors... but any nutrition or exercise tips would be great.

The other slightly worrying thing is that my pulse rate seems rather elevated in comparison, often coming in in the 80 - 90 bpm range! I'm reading this to mean that my heart is having to work really hard... which can't be a good thing. Isn't 'normal' resting around 60 bpm!?
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

This is interesting. My partner has low blood pressure also but not high heart rate. She is a nurse and posts here frequently. I will ask what she thinks when she gets home from work. She might have some thoughts on the matter.

Comment

I hate licorice but take the herb in a tincture just fine. Honey fried licorice is really good!

You likely need adrenal support too. Read Dr. James Wilson's book Adrenal Fatigue in the 21st Century to learn more about it. I really like his supplement line and I've tried a lot. A simple test to see if you have adrenal fatigue is shine a light by your eye. A healthy person's pupil will contract and hold the contraction. The pupil of a person with adrenal fatigue will contact but let go multiple times before settling.

Comment

Low blood pressure can be a sign of low aldosterone (a hormone created by the adrenal glands). I think a blood test can check for this.

Comment

I would suggest seeing a cardiologist or at the very least, have your regular doctor send you for an echocardiogram. I suggest this only because some diseases of the heart muscle, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, can manifest themselves with both low blood pressure and high heart rate. In HCM, which I have myself, the thickened heart muscle has to work extra hard to push blood around so the result is both low blood pressure due to decreased blood volume, and high heartrate due to having to work extra hard. Better safe than sorry. I would have it checked out to be sure.

Comment

I suffer from low low blood pressure - my lifesaver is pure 100% coconut water (sodium fortified). It stops me fainting too.

Your heart rate can depend on many different things - if you are overweight, sick, asleep, drinking too much caffeine, chronically stressed etc. So don't panic.

You may want to check out a condition called "Dysautonomia" though and see if it fits what happens to you. Most doctors don't have a clue about it, including a lot of cardiologists!. I have had it for 22 years.
            Last edited by Raine; 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Your heart rate isn't fast. 60-100 is normal. My blood pressure is low like yours, but I have always had that and so it is "normal" for me.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36071.html

Comment

All I know about is the salt, which you've already mentioned. Make sure it's good quality sea salt though.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got hold of a copy of Adrenal Fatigue, so I will give that a look.

does anyone have any suggestions for the other 'problem' that I seem to have: elevated resting heart rate:

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                  The other slightly worrying thing is that my pulse rate seems rather elevated in comparison, often coming in in the 80 - 90 bpm range! I'm reading this to mean that my heart is having to work really hard... which can't be a good thing. Isn't 'normal' resting around 60 bpm!?
                  Any ideas?

Thanks
                  SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                  “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions. I just got hold of a copy of Adrenal Fatigue, so I will give that a look.

does anyone have any suggestions for the other 'problem' that I seem to have: elevated resting heart rate:

Any ideas?

Thanks
                    That's why I said to google dyautonomia and POTS. But if you aren't getting any symptoms such as fainting/ dizzyness/nausea then it's unlikely.

Comment

I have low BP, and I'd first suggest you get a check up by a cardiologist to insure that there's no pathology involved.

Your pulse rate is up because when your BP is too low, your heart pumps harder to raise it. When BP is at a safe level, pulse rate returns to normal. That happens to me some mornings.

I've learned (from my cardio) what my problem is, and it's probably unique to me. Over the past few years, I've lost about 200 lbs after a lifetime of morbid obesity. About two years ago, on a hot day, I collapsed from low BP and wound up in the ER. They found nothing wrong, and in the follow-up with my cardiologist, he told me that although I've lost the weight, the vascular system doesn't shrink. So I need to hydrate as though I were still a much "larger" person. He advised me that mornings when my BP is too low, drinking a sports drink (for the electrolytes) would help.

I did that for a while--and it helped, and now I find that if I can just drink a lot during the day, I may wake with low BP, but my heart gets it to a normal level fairly quickly. Also keep in mind that you need sufficient food for the body to maintain electrolye balance, so if you fast or do IF, that could be a problem for your BP.

Comment

There are a lot of problems that can cause the body to fail to maintain adequate blood pressure, and a cardiologist is the best person to help figure it out. Look for an office that does tilt-table testing.

Comment

I've read that kelp helps to normalize low blood pressure.

Comment

My resting heart rate has been 80 to 90 my entire life. Some hearts just have a higher heart rate than others. We have what is called a Kawasaki heart rate, that just beats faster. My wife has the exact opposite, a slow heart rate. She can do the treadmill at 15 degrees & 3.8 mph with Hr of 115.

DocFitch is RIGHT about the need for iodine. Most people are severely deficient. See this link:
                            http://pharmacistben.com/home/18-cle...nfusion-part-1

Different strokes for different folks,
                            Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The biggest question concerning whether your BP is too low is whether or not you get faint or dizzy or start to black out when you go from lying to sitting/standing or how well you function in the heat or with exercise. The brain needs adequate oxygen to stay conscious, and the blood pressure is what delivers blood to the brain against gravity. If you aren't getting enough blood to the brain due to low blood pressure, you faint - which causes you to lower the head in relation to the heart, restoring blood flow by eliminating gravity.

If your blood pressure has been in this range your entire life and you function normally without fainting your blood pressure is FINE. My BP has been 90-something/60 for 55 years now. As a nurse, I see lots of patients doing just fine with BP like yours and some with lower. If this is a CHANGE for you - it used to be higher and has been trending downward and especially if you are symptomatic (faintness/dizzy with posture changes) then it may be pathological and is deserving of medical investigation. Having your arms go numb with lifting or sleeping is not really a worrisome problem and may have more to do with local circulation issues.

The other potential problem with BP being too low, especially if it is due to some disease or pathology, is it puts kidney function at risk. Kidneys need adequate blood flow and pressure to carry out their filtering functions. If you have had any blood work done with physical exams over the years you have probably had your BUN and creatinine levels tested. These are markers for how well the kidneys are clearing the blood of metabolic waste products. If they get too high, it means kidney function is falling off. Again, if you have been at this BP for a long time and no doctor has ever told you your kidney function is not up to par, you are fine with this BP. If you haven't been to the doctor in eons and have never had a simple "blood chemistry" panel done, it is time to do that!

My recommendation is - if your BP and HR have been like this for a long time and you are functioning normally - good kidney function and no faintness - then I wouldn't worry. If things have been gradually going lower on the BP and higher on the resting HR, then getting an evaluation is probably in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X