Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the more I dig, the more confused it get...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the more I dig, the more confused it get...

I have been LC for a month on Feb 4th. I have lost 21lbs so far. I have been reading ZIOH and hear alot of people who are ZC. Charles, from ZIOH states that he eats protein and fats (raw mostly) and still runs alot of races (this is of particular interest to me as I am a runner) Charles says he does not drink alot of water and never drinks during a race (even a half marathon)

At this point in time I am not ready to eat raw meat and honestly can never see that happening.

I just want to be a "normal" weight and enjoy activities.

I tried to switch my diet and do more fat (real sausage, real bacon) with my eggs, use butter etc. Since doing that I feel heavy and I feel hunger more than I did when I ate leaner cuts of meat and the turkey equivalents of bacon and sausage.

Another thing is my skin is dryer than normal right around the time I upped my fat intake (could be a month of high protein, who knows?)

The more I dig and think I have found a happy solution (I am insulin resistant) I read another person saying no only ZC is the way to go, NO, only raw meat and water, NO LC and lean protein..... it just keeps going!

another thing too- since going high fat I am stopped up. so doesn't that mean we were meant to eat some type of veggies for fiber? Can't anyone just simply put their ego aside and say what the truth is?

The truth is, there are many approaches to a primal/paleo/low carb lifestyle. Not everything works exactly the same for everybody. It's a matter of discovering what works best for you.

I eat between 20 and 60 grams of carbs a day, depending. Fat and protein are very high. I don't experience any problems with constipation at all. I drink tea and coffee with cream, use ghee and bacon fat for cooking, and stay away from grains and sugar.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Comment

I can't comment on all the ZC/LC issue - but with regards to being stuff up - does the ZC permit you to take a fiber additive in your diet?

Comment

Louden- I am not ZC, I am probably more VLC. The more I read the more it seems someone is saying, well LC is close, but to be really healthy you need to be ZC. Then I read ZC is fine, but to be really healthy you need to eat more fat. it just keeps going.

anyway- I guess my thing was more of a rant than a question. I am going back to eating LC with lean meats. Turkey bacon, turkey sausages. Cauliflower (YUM!) broccoli, and drinking my water and running. I will see how it goes from there in a few months.

Thanks!

Comment

Ditto what Katt said.

@ louden, zero carbers wouldn't take fiber supplements, because fiber supps are carbs. Are you thinking you'd need a fiber supp to avoid constipation? That should not be needed when you go ZC or VLC, as long as fat is high enough. Paying attention to magnesium intake can also be important for avoiding constipation.

Comment

Why is zero carb important to you?

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

There is an echo in this forum. This forumis dominated by low or zero carbs but not if you read Mark's book.

If you have type ll diabetes then Griff will tell you the benefits of low carbs.

To put this in perspective... the western diet is not normal carbs... they are so high they could put on Mars.

Comment

Zero Carb isn't important to me at all- but LC is. How much LC? I don't know. Enough to keep my BG down.

I don't have type II diabetes, I am insulin resistant. so far it seems I can certainly handles some carbs- which is how I am going to keep going until I get to a point where I need to change.

Comment

I maintain at or under 50g of carbs per day and my blood sugar stays nice and low - in the 80s to 90s most of the time. For me, it's worth it to go VLC.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

If you feel that you are insulin resistant, consider doing the Eades "The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-aged Middle".

It is very low carb (perhaps even ketogenic) for first few weeks in attempt to detox the liver and target elimination of liver fat first.

Try it as an induction into primal diet/lifestyle.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                    —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

[quote]

There is an echo in this forum. This forumis dominated by low or zero carbs but not if you read Mark's book.

If you have type ll diabetes then Griff will tell you the benefits of low carbs.

To put this in perspective... the western diet is not normal carbs... they are so high they could put on Mars. </blockquote>

So we all agree that the SAD level of carbs is WAY to high and is terrible for your health.

Mark advocates keeping carbs quite low and cutting carbs lower to lose body fat (which improves health).

Griff can show vast improvements in blood sugar control on VLC.

Why not go all the way and go ZC?

We have shown that the more carbs you have, the worse your health is. Why assume that ZC is anything but better than VLC?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                      • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                      • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Tarlach,,,enjoy your posts.

You say you exercise (hard) 3 days a week followed by 3 T bone steaks (zero BF and Lunch)

Please can you tell me what you consume on NON workout days (dont just say I eat when I&#39;m hungry) please elaborate and give examples...

Comment

We have shown that the more carbs you have, the worse your health is. Why assume that ZC is anything but better than VLC?

Tarlach, I am not being difficult but what dos this mean? where is the evidence? Some people do much better on 150gr of carbs than 30gr.... I don&#39;t get what you are saying?

Comment

@robmedina

Why do you need your fiber supplements?

Do you suffer from constipation?

You need to read The Fiber Menace.

I think the book is over the top, but there are some good things to take away.

Insoluble fiber is not good for you. Soluble Fiber maybe good (not so according to the book, but according to Stephan WholeHealthSource).

You do need a healthy gut flora to have a normal BM, and to be able to handle undigested carbs and fibers. Try to get pre and probiotic capsules, that provide some healthy gut bacteria.

You might also want to add some uncooked fermented foods (like yogurt from raw milk), to get a larger spectrum of beneficial bacteria. Don&#39;t count yeast in healthy bacteria.

Gut Flora is also important for proper absorption of some minerals. They also create the B and K vitamins. The dryness problem may also be associated to lack of bacteria.

Comment

"Why not go all the way and go ZC?" this is what I mean- Why would I go "all the way ZC" Why isn&#39;t LC or VLC good enough?

As far as someone asking about fiber supplements - I take none , nor any other supplements. If I have to take supplements then this isn&#39;t the way we were "meant" to eat.

I am going to stick with my LC (which may be VLC0 i don&#39;t count the carbs or the calories), the way I have been eating for the past month (up until a week ago when I upped my fat) and continue down this path that is working for me.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X