Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weird smelling butter from the farmer's market...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird smelling butter from the farmer's market...?

I bought 3/4 of a pound of fresh, unsalted butter from my local farmer's market on Tuesday. I've no idea if the cows are grass-fed or grain-fed, but one way or another... the butter smells weird. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. The ingredients are listed as just "cream" so I was wondering if fresh butter just... smells differently? Am I missing something? Should I be concerned? Thanks!
    "Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them" -
    Albus Dumbledore

eat it! it is either OK or not OK!

Comment

does it smell sour? sweet? dirty? like grass?
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        does it smell sour? sweet? dirty? like grass?
        I'm honestly not sure how to describe it, but it's very different from the store-bought butter I've had in the past. It's not rancid though.
        "Humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them" -
        Albus Dumbledore

Comment

if it's not rancid butter, which has a damn distinct odor, you should be fine. perhaps it's cultured butter? that could make it smell different. aside from rancidity, you should be fine.

Comment

My bet is it's cultured - they basically milk the cow and let the cream ferment for a few hours before turning it into butter. Gives it a different taste and smell.

Comment

It can also depend on what the cow ate--some plants will alter the taste of the milk/butter.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Was it from Southern Swiss Dairy? I've bought from them before and I've also noticed. I'm pretty sure it's cultured.

Comment

Yes, from milk left at room temp for the cream to rise. Can't stand it personally. What you want is "Sweet Cream Butter." Not cultured/clabbered.

Sweet cream is chilled, not cultured/aged/sour.
                  Last edited by Finnabair; 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Cultured I bet. I bought some and the smell is so pungent I'm afraid I do not like it. I tried to clarify it to fix it but it's still too strong. I can only cook with it. I bought some before this batch and it was sweet and good but was starting to get this smell toward the end. I plan to make sure it's not stinky next time. Or just stick with kerrygold.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Cultured I bet. I bought some and the smell is so pungent I'm afraid I do not like it. I tried to clarify it to fix it but it's still too strong. I can only cook with it. I bought some before this batch and it was sweet and good but was starting to get this smell toward the end. I plan to make sure it's not stinky next time. Or just stick with kerrygold.
                      Actually if you're eating Kerry Gold Unsalted, you're eating cultured butter. Good stuff too!!

Hear's an MDA article about making homemade cultured butter. Does your butter resemble this any?

Homemade Cultured Butter | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

I get the kerrygold salted. But I did try some cultured sweet butter from the market. It had no funny smell. It's that raw farmer's market butter that smells strong. It smells up the whole house when I cook with it, or even just open the container. It's hard to describe the smell, but it is very pungent and I think it's unpleasant.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I've been told by farmers that the taste changes depending on what the cows eat. When (and if) spring comes to MN and the cows are moved to pasture and become totally grass fed, the flavor and odor changes.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            Was it from Southern Swiss Dairy? I've bought from them before and I've also noticed. I'm pretty sure it's cultured.
                            It was from Southern Swiss Dairy!! Haha, what a coincidence... thanks for the responses everyone. I feel a lot better about eating it now that I know it's probably just cultured, though I probably won't buy the same type again.
                            Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                            X