Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fruits and vegetables do you eat in a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many fruits and vegetables do you eat in a day?

I eat around 2 avocados, a whole medium cucumber, a large bell pepper, and 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, as well as 3 cups of greens or a cup of fruit. I eat a lot of avocado to get fat, I don't eat a lot of fat rich meats regularly so coconut oil and avocados are my main sources of fat.

No fruit and maybe 2 cups of veg a day.

Comment

As much veg as I like. I don't eat avocado every day but lots of salad, carrots, broccoli etc. I eat berries but have not had fruit in ages.
      Last edited by Dirlot; 01-11-2012, 10:00 PM.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Daily staples are 1 avocado, 1 large tomato, 1 bell pepper and varied leafy greens/onions/broccoli etc (aka things I don't buy a certain amount to eat each day). I like a stuffed poblano pepper/eggplant about once a week, and jalapenos on occasion too. If I have a fresh mango or pineapple, I'll spread it out as a 1/4C serving over the week.

Comment

I usually eat a large salad and the associated veggies (tomato, onion, celery etc) every day~ not much of a fruit eater~ but this time of year, I like a clementine or half a grapefruit here and there~

Comment

I normally have a fruit in the morning with my eggs like half grapefruit or half cup of fresh strawberries.

For lunch, I have an avocado with some meat and mixed vegetables.

For dinner, no fruit at all. Just purely meat, fat and vegetables.

My body-fat is at 6.5% at the moment so fruit is okay in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by RachelW View Post
              I eat around 2 avocados, a whole medium cucumber, a large bell pepper, and 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, as well as 3 cups of greens or a cup of fruit. I eat a lot of avocado to get fat, I don't eat a lot of fat rich meats regularly so coconut oil and avocados are my main sources of fat.
              you sound like a vegetarian with that amount of fruit and veg. how much meat do you eat?

Comment

A typical day's intake for me :

Breakfast: 1 medium-sized red onion or leek, 10 g fresh coriander or parsley, and half a courgette or a few sprigs of broccoli

Lunch: 1 medium-sized sweet potato, a few spring onions, 40 g fresh salad leaves (rocket/spinach/watercress or lamb's lettuce)

Dinner: 1 medium-sized red onion, 2 cloves garlic, 10 g fresh herbs, plus 2 of the following: a few sprigs of tenderstem broccoli, 1 courgette, 100 g butternut squash, 75 g asparagus, 1 leek, half a fennel bulb, 1 carrot

This gives me about 7 'servings' a day. Official UK healthy eating guidelines, for what they're worth, recommend at least 5 servings a day. I feel I need 7 in order to get enough fibre.

I only eat fruit occasionally - around 2 servings a week on average (e.g. fresh pomegranate in a salad, or fresh pineapple with some cheese).
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I usually eat 3 or 4 cups of dark greens, 5-7 carrots, a couple onions, an avocado, a citrus fruit, a handful of berries, maybe 1/2 cup of sauerkraut, possibly some tomato soup or just a few tomatoes, and a cup of mushrooms. That's about average probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    you sound like a vegetarian with that amount of fruit and veg. how much meat do you eat?
                    I usually don't have meat for lunch, but I average around 3-4 eggs and an 8oz pice of meat each day(this is a rough estimate). I used to be a vegetarian in highschool, but quit because I like steak.

Comment

Daily one cup broccoli cooked from frozen
                      Daily one cup cauliflower cooked from frozen
                      Daily one cup carrots cooked from frozen
                      Daily half a cup spinach cooked from frozen
                      Once a week seaweed
                      Once a week trail mix with berries
                      Daily avocado
                      Daily apple
                      Daily zucchini
                      Occasional frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, mango, melon
                      heavy herb use on meats
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

What you're eating sounds about right... but I've just been eating this way since thanksgiving... I eat a lot of different veg throughout the day, though not necessarily in great quantities. It is not unusual for me to graze through 8-10 different vegetables, but some of those are small 1/4 cup portions in salads & soups, etc. (It helps to be cooking for a family; everything gets used up.) And I am not a vegetarian! I usually limit myself to one serving of fruit a day, and that is a proper 'serving' eg: half an apple, half a banana, a small orange instead of a huge one. Aside from clementines and moros, I don't love most winter fruit; I am hoping that my weight loss progress will allow me to be a little more of a fruit bat when local apricots and cherries hit this summer.

Comment

Breakfast -1 -1.5 cups of sauteed veggies; usually peppers and onions but sometimes zuchinni or tomatoes
                          Lunch-If I eat lunch, then 2-3 cups of salad veggies or 1.5 cups of raw veggies or cup of sweet potato fries and cup of raw veggies or 2-3 cups of soup
                          Snack-If I don't eat lunch then I usually have 2 servings of fruit w/Greek yogurt or or nuts
                          Dinner-usually 2-3 servings of veggies -at least one is usually raw.
                          My journal
                          7/5/11 -Size 14;
                          1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

Working...
                          X