Confused about Mark's logic on carbohydrates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about Mark's logic on carbohydrates

On page 16 in the "21 day total body transformation book", Mark warns against peas because of their carbohydrate content.

This doesn't make any sense to me, because right on the next page, he says that nuts are fine. How can that be? Take for instance cashew nuts. They actually have a higher carbohydrate content than peas.

What am I missing?

perhaps the nuts have more protein than peas? I think he is suggesting the best foods to eat for 21 days transformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
      perhaps the nuts have more protein than peas? I think he is suggesting the best foods to eat for 21 days transformation.
      Yeah they have more protein. Does that explain it then? If so, why? In any case, I believe he's suggesting getting rid of peas forever, just like getting rid of the bread. The 21 day transformation is about transforming into the real deal after all; it's not just some temporary stuff

Comment

Originally posted by pf3 View Post
        On page 16 in the "21 day total body transformation book", Mark warns against peas because of their carbohydrate content.

This doesn't make any sense to me, because right on the next page, he says that nuts are fine. How can that be? Take for instance cashew nuts. They actually have a higher carbohydrate content than peas.

What am I missing?
        Cashews are not nuts, they are legumes. You aren't going to destroy your results with a handful of cooked peas, trust me.

Comment

Send Mark and email.
          The protein along with carb gives you a better blood sugar response. I don't think peas will kill you, I love peas. just guessing Mark's reasoning.

Comment

I'm pretty sure cashews are nuts or technically seeds but not a legume:
            http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_cashew_a_nut

Comment

Peas per 100g:

81 cals
              14.5 carbs
              0.4 fat
              5.4 protein

Thus, peas are 71.4% carbohydrate per gram.

Cashews per 100g:
              553 cals
              30.2 carbs
              43.9 fat
              18.2 protein

Thus, cashews are 32.7% carbohydrate per gram.

Huge difference
              There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

Do not freak out about peas or cashews. If you want to eat them, then just have a bit. Limiting carbs to lose weight is great for a bunch of us. Stressing about peas is good for no one. A bunch of folks will tell you not to eat nuts and cashews/legumes for various health reasons. Primal is not about freaking out over a bit o peas. Jeeze.

Comment

Agree with Rasputina that Cashews are legumes not nuts - you'll notice they're not on the "Shopping List" if you have it?

Comment

I like this link:
                    Are Peas and Green Beans Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                    Half the time we've had questions while reading the 21 day Transformation book (we're on day 10!) we've looked it up on the site and Mark's had an answer!
                    ~It's All Relative!~
                    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
                    Fitness Blog - Instagram
                    Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlva View Post
                      Agree with Rasputina that Cashews are legumes not nuts - you'll notice they're not on the "Shopping List" if you have it?
                      I don't think they are legumes.

Comment

Yes, cashews are not legumes; ashews are biologically a seed and culinarily a nut. We debates this ad nauseum in ChocoTaco's "Primal Purity for a Month" thread.

Peas are legumes.
                        Read. The. Book.

Comment

Cashews are members of the Anacardiaceae family, which includes mangos and pistachios. Not sure where people get the idea that cashews are legumes. Pistachios are acceptable, the seed of the cashew apple just happen to grow on the outside of the fruit instead of the inside... it's a drupe.
                          Other drupes include cherries, apricots, mangoes, almonds, walnuts, macadamias, walnuts, peaches...
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                          X