Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans are eating less and less meat. More for us!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans are eating less and less meat. More for us!

Interesting piece in the Washington Post today about the drop in meat consumption:

Americans are eating less and less meat - The Washington Post

Meat eating in the United States is going out of style. According to a Department of Agriculture report, Americans are projected to eat 12.2 percent less meat in 2012 than they did 2007. And it’s not just the weak economy. As Mark Bittman observes, there’s a real long-term trend here: “Beef consumption has been in decline for about 20 years; the drop in chicken is even more dramatic, over the last five years or so; pork also has been steadily slipping for about five years.”
    I wonder how many people will put this together with the obesity epidemic? Not enough, I'm sure...

Just like the old saying: "Observe the masses and do the opposite".
    Lifting Journal

Comment

I will happily eat their 12%.
      “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
      Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Comment

Meat consumption down 12%, average weight up 12%.

Sounds about right.

Comment

I wonder how much is because meat is being replaced by soy and starch in 'meat products'. Not much meat in a sausage these days.
          My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
            I wonder how much is because meat is being replaced by soy and starch in 'meat products'. Not much meat in a sausage these days.
            good point. maybe the drop in meat consumption isn't completely intentional.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

But they feel like they are eating healthier! Even though they don't feel better!
              Beware of fake meat.

Comment

I actually find this news disconcerting. What's going to happen to us. I mean, for real. This is horrible!

Comment

Originally posted by 1949katie View Post
                  I actually find this news disconcerting. What's going to happen to us. I mean, for real. This is horrible!
                  We'll continue to prioritize our money towards healthy foods while most continue to eat crap and then well also be expected to pay their medical bills when they get sick. Of course it doesn't help that the .gov recommends that people eat crap and a lot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by raftguide3r View Post
                    We'll continue to prioritize our money towards healthy foods while most continue to eat crap and then well also be expected to pay their medical bills when they get sick. Of course it doesn't help that the .gov recommends that people eat crap and a lot of it.
                    Well said! I just spent $10 on good quality salad while my colleague spent $5 on fried chicken and chips. I felt like saying "damn, I just spent $10 on a good salad and another $5 on looking after you when you're sick!"

Australia has a great medical system (compared to some) but there's no balance, all of the focus and tax dollars are going toward looking after or educating people who don't bother looking after themselves....

Sorry, that's quite a rant and to be honest, it probably stems from HAVING to pay $10 for a quality salad (late lunch - literally nothing else open!)

Comment

1) In those that have a regard for health, vegetarianism is generally considered the "healthy" option. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people order a vege burger with fries as a "healthy alternative."

and 2) for those that don't care, there is an endless flow of cheap, readily available, junk food options; and even those that should be meat based are often cut with soy and corn products, and cooked in seed oils.

The optimistic part of me really hopes that this will serve to damage the CAFO industry and make a little more space on the shelves for local, pastured products - real foods, for those of us that are willing to pay for them.

I came across the government published obesity rates for the country over the last 16 years recently, and holy hell we're in bad shape. I feel like your average citizen goes weeks on end without eating a bite of actual FOOD. At times it just crushes me to watch this; people at work slathering jelly on english muffins for breakfast, microwaving Hungry Man dinners at lunchtime...

I spent 13 years in public schools in some of the more liberal states in the union, fairly recently (like, since Leptin has been discovered), and NOT ONCE did anyone try to impart any sort of nutritional education upon me outside of a breakdown of the Food Pyramid, with particular emphasis on the importance of grains, fruits, and vegetables.

In fact, I was raised feeling that meats were inherently wrong, and despite that fact I can't recall a single vegetarian from my childhood. There was just a sense of shame that was expected to come along with eating meat. Dry, tasteless, 97% lean chicken breasts were the "more accepted" option, red meat was dirty and considered an occasional treat. And one was supposed to give themselves a pat on the back upon eating vegetables (peas, carrots, white potatoes.)

We're effectively creating the demise of our species by letting society's attitudes turn this direction. We're raising children on a diet that poisons them. I guess those of us living a healthy paleo lifestyle will be left, scratching our heads, while everyone else dies off from SAD induced diseases... imagine all the space we'll have for pasture feeding and cultivation of small hunter-gatherer tribes when they're all gone.

Anyone want to start a pool on the ETA of SAD's self implosion? We'll have to hand it down amongst a couple of generations...

Comment

I think the best solution is to turn ourselves into walking billboards!

Comment

Huh? Bittman needs to get out more. Its the economy stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by raney View Post
                            I feel like your average citizen goes weeks on end without eating a bite of actual FOOD.
                            This can be quite true actually. Most of the people I know eat frankenfoods exclusively. There are a lot of reasons and excuses for it that I'm not going to get into. Some of us here used to do the same thing but have since seen the light. It's terribly sad IMO that people are eating that way and not giving it a single thought.
                            “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

We show up in the stats as a reduction in meat eating - but that's because we now raise our own pigs and chickens - actual meat consumption has roughly doubled over the past year.

Comment

Working...
                              X