Vitamin D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D

I've done a vitamin D blood test, quite a while ago (in may 2011).
    It came up as 16 ng/ml in the Vitamin D 25 (OH) test.
    Is this test accurate?

If so, am I fucked? XD

Just means you should supplement Vitamin D and/or get a boatload more sun...

--Me

Comment

You won't die, but yes, get more sun and/or supplement. When you are that low, you need to start supplementing high (10,000 IU/day).

Where did you get this testing done? Your doctor should have told you what to do if you got it done in the office.
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        You won't die,
        Not entirely true from the perspective of what being deficient in vitamin D can contribute to. A deficiency can also be a symptom of disease.

Comment

True, there's just a lot of panicky newbs on lately and most of the time they just need to use a little common sense.
          Depression Lies

Comment

My doctor told me that, but it seems he took it quite lightly, told me to supplement with a 400 dose, (pretty damn low). I'm gonna buy a vitamin D supplement ASAP.

Comment

400 is the RDA which is very low. It's not going to raise your blood levels much if at all. You can safely supplement past 10,000 IU/day (I do 8,000 in the winter and 4,000 in the summer), and vitamin D is dirt cheap so it won't cost much.

I recommend Carlson's drops since they are dissolved in coconut oil and are ridiculously easy to take (just drop them on your tongue) and should be highly absorbable since they are in fat. I get the kind that's 4000 IU per drop and it works out to about $0.08/day.
              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I was very low & needed 8,000 IUs to get my level up. Haven't been sick in over 2 years!
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                  Though I find it hard to believe I'll find carlson's here. (in Israel). But I'll hope for the best.
                  I think I'll take a decent dosage and have a blood test in about 2 weeks. (or sooner if I'll feel like it).
                  The only reason I even think about taking a blood test is because that blood test I mentioned earlier is from may 2011. My vitamin D level might be a little better now.

Comment

DrLove,

NO ! ! NO ! !

You must take your new level (10,000 IU Daily ) of Vitamin D3 for at least 3 months before getting your next blood test. The reason for this is it takes time for all of your body reservoirs to "Fill Up" Then after your next blood test, you can adjust your dosage up or down as required. Each 1,000 IU change in dosage results in a 10 ng/ml change in blood level. Your goal is 80 ng/ml to 100 ng/ml per Dr. Kruse.

See these links:
                    Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
                    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

Grizz

Comment

Thanks grizzz, though I mentioned that because I had my last blood test a long time ago, so I'm not sure where I'm standing at the moment. I just want to avoid over-dosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                        Your goal is 80 ng/ml to 100 ng/ml per Dr. Kruse.
                        Grizz, what is the basis of this recommendation? It is not in the links you posted
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

@DrLove
                          "I just want to avoid over-dosing"
                          Overdose requires 40,000 IU daily, so you are in no danger. The wife & I take 10,000 IU Daily and our blood test after 3 months came in near a perfect 70 ng/ml. Our next blood test 1 year later is due this month.

@Peril,
                          "what is the basis of this recommendation? "
                          Sorry, you are correct, Dr. Kruse did not specify Vitamin D3 blood target levels in that link, where it should have been.
                          Dr. Kruse: Try to optimize your vitamin D levels to 70-100 ng/mL.
                          HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? - Jack Kruse
                          DISEASES ASSOCIATED WITH LOW VITAMIN D LEVELS: (below 30 ng/ml on a Vitamin D 25 (OH) test

•Rickets and osteomalacia and psoriasis
                          •Hypocalcemia
                          •Seizures, muscle tetanus and heart failure in the newly born
                          •Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
                          •Cancer of all types
                          •Heart disease (the number killer of men and women)
                          •High blood pressure development
                          •Obesity from all causes
                          •Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis
                          •Mental illness of all types
                          •Chronic pain centrally or peripherally mediated.
                          •Muscular weakness
                          •Radiation poisoning
                          •Diabetes…..especially metabolic syndrome and T2D development
                          •Multiple sclerosis and most autoimmune diseases
                          Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse

Grizz

Comment

Holy mother of ****, And I was afraid using my 1000 IU dose.

Point is, There is no more than 1000 IU available in Israel. Meaning it's not very money efficient. But I'll do my best.

Comment

DrLove,

Can't you order your 5,000 IU D3 Geltabs from the internet? That is where we get ours. Can you order from Amazon.com?
                              They carry it.

Grizz

Comment

Working...
                              X