No announcement yet.

What's the most important to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go for the grass bones. go for it all. but consider the benefits and costs of going all out on pasture razed dolphin safe humanely nurtured chickens.

i'm in the best health of my life and i will live to be 100 and i do not throw money in the garbage on foods some documentary told me would save the world.

Comment

i think if there were a chicken and the guy said "look, this chicken, i read it a bedtime story every night for three months", then there would be someone that would say, well it's worth 75$ a pound.

Comment

If you live in a morel area, they make a great 'starter' mushroom as they are pretty easy to identify and so are their less palatable imitators. Golden chantrelles are pretty basic too. And yes, eating a wild mushroom is an amazing culinary experience. I have a picture of my two girls at about ages 4 and 10 respectively right off the PCT holding handfuls of their first found morels. We drove to town to have them certified by a dealer, then went straight home and cooked them in butter. They gobbled them up like anteaters in an anthill! Morels, wild huckleberries, wild salmon, and wild crab are some of my very favorite foods because of the happy associations around finding or catching and preparing them. And nothing can mimic those wild flavors!

Comment

Yes, eat nothing you find that you cannot absolutely positively identify.

I have a mushrooming expert friend. I take photos of the mushrooms in the field exactly as I find them, then I dig them out and take pictures from all angles so that I can show him all the parts of the mushroom. Then I use a keyed mushroom index and do an identification using the key. Then I send him the pictures and my identification and explain the parts of the mushroom that I used to come to that identification. Then he tells me if I was right. Then, if it's a good mushroom for eating, I eat it. There are only two kinds that I have found that I will eat and fortunately both are easy to identify and also easy to identify their poisonous look-alikes and easy to demonstrate in a photograph why my mushroom is NOT the poisonous look-alike.

I also eat wild greens. Why pay $3 for a bunch of greens at the store when the wild ones are just as good? Wild greens are easier to identify and I'm pretty good at identifying plants. Some people do not have such abilities, so if you don't, you should stick to the grocery store. But if you are good at identifying plants, eating wild foraged foods is loads of fun. A really good book is Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by somedaypaleo View Post
            sakura_girl, I haven't yet really fallen in love with the taste of olive oil.. So while I do have it I'm still 'learning' the taste. And the fish oil is because my HS strength coach's CW diet said 4-6 a day, so why not go above? Way I see it I'm getting 3g of omega-3 (talking to them about getting a higher quality) meaning 7g of fat just for calories, right? I know that's not the best fats, but I'm fighting an uphill battle for a better o6 : o3. Probably should try and figure out what it actually is though.
            That is a really bad idea. Even SAD sometimes overrates the importance of n3's, and a skewed n3:n6 ratio in favor of n3's isn't going to do your body more good than the favoritism of n6's. Plus, unless your fish oil is super high quality, chances are you are just feeding your body a lot of oxidized PUFAs. I would highly suggest cutting back.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I agree about omega 3's and would advise to swap the cans of tuna for as many cans of wild salmon as you can afford.

Tinned tuna in brine has virtually all the omega 3 stripped out of it. If you can source it in olive oil that's better, but wild salmon is much higher in omega 3, and lower in mercury and other toxins.

Also worth considering swapping the tuna for canned mackeral or sardines in tomato or olive oil... if you don't those too fishy.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I kinda already didn't believe the omega-3 blurb on the canned tuna, just like it as a protein source.

Will cut back on the fish oil though, 3 taken in the morning 3 at night seem okay?

About 30 minutes ago almost lost what help they do give me.. I rather enjoy dairy, and was able to get a quart of whole milk (just AE, but still) and have been drinking a small glass a day or so, relishing every nuance of actual fat. Mom said maybe we'd buy some for if there's a toddler (hoping to adopt). Of course I was like "Oh, so why is whole milk good for toddlers?" And I was told to stop trying to push it on the family. Maybe the fact that my grandma (her mom) is semi-veg, very diet conscious new age lady has something to do with it

Oh and I just want to thank all of you for your help. Lets me put stuff in perspective, because most articles you can find on paleo makes their subject seem like the most important part of it all.
                Last edited by somedaypaleo; 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Bud, since you're young and it doesn't sound like you're overweight, these things will get you off to a great start cheap.

1.) Canned salmon
                  2.) Bottom round/london broil beef
                  3.) Eggs
                  4.) Sweet potatoes
                  5.) Kale

A diet consisting of cheap, CAFO red meat and some decent eggs (which aren't much more money than Shop Rite brand) supplemented with wild-caught canned salmon is very affordable and you'll be doing just fine without dropping 5 times the money on grass fed beef. Sweet potatoes are dirt cheap, nutritious sources of glucose, and kale is the most nutritionally dense green there is out there. If you don't like eating lots of green vegetables, you don't have to eat all that much kale to get what you need. I also strongly recommend eating a pound of wild-caught salmon (or other omega 3 rich fish like swordfish, mackerel or shark) once a week instead of supplementing with fish oil as much of it is of questionable quality and prone to oxidation since it's isolated and kept on warm store shelves. Good luck and enjoy the plunge!
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                  X