Kelp noodles, a good alternative ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
    Here is my BEST reference to be found on the subject of Iodine. This confirms what the Japanese get in Iodine from their seafoods.
    Bottom line, 15 mg iodine a day from seafoods is ideal for health, by Dr. Michael B. Schachter:
    Iodine

PS) I got these noodles from iHerb for only $3 per 16 oz package with free shipping. Far less expensive than Amazon.
    We have also tried them in our Turkey Stew. . . GREAT !

Issabeau, THANK YOU for starting this thread.
    Grizz
    THANK YOU for posting the link to get some info on Iodine, I had no idea.

Comment

If they don't have any of the nasties that wheat noodles have, I'm more than willing to give these a go if I can find any. I did love pasta, but don't miss it that much. But if these work out then that's more variety for my diet.
      Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Hello, does anyone know how long do they keep for in the fridge once opened? Should they be kept in water? If so, should the water be changed out daily (like you would for tofu)? Any info would be great!

Comment

You definitely CAN get too much iodine. And that can be its own problem. Just like all things, moderation is in order here, even for the good things. Just don't make 'em every night and tell the man to simmer down about his "spaghetti" cravings. I mean really... I think that ordering "replacement foods" like kelp noodles for recreating non-primal faves is kind of missing the point. You can do it every once in a while, but if you do it regularly, you aren't really getting out there and trying the tons of new food experiences you could be having by eating this new diet.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I wonder how seaside hunter/gatherers felt about iodine excess? I guess eating real food, straight from nature sorted itself out by itself without intervention from nutritionalist advice.

My sincere apologies if that seems to be confrontational, since I genuinely do appreciate anyone who has something good to say. I am a firm believer in eating real, whole food and leaving nature to sort out the contradictions for me.
            Paul
            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I think these things look tasty and intriguing. From what I read they appear to be essentially a sea vegetable in noodle form so perfectly paleo. I see no harm in using them as a substitute in spaghetti and as long as the taste/texture factor is there. Spaghetti has been a hard one for me to give up as well and if this puts it back on the menu I'm all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                I wonder how seaside hunter/gatherers felt about iodine excess? I guess eating real food, straight from nature sorted itself out by itself without intervention from nutritionalist advice.

My sincere apologies if that seems to be confrontational, since I genuinely do appreciate anyone who has something good to say. I am a firm believer in eating real, whole food and leaving nature to sort out the contradictions for me.
                I doubt they were eating seaweed (nature's richest source of iodine), on a daily basis. Seafood in general should serve as a good source of iodine, but in order to get into the levels that will likely cause harm, it kind of HAS to be from supplementing (which our ancestors didn't do), OR from too much seaweed (which they could conceivably have, but likely didn't, consume too much of).

Now, kelp noodles as a replacement for recovering pasta addicts being eaten several times a week? That's getting up to a level that I believe our seaside ancestors probably didn't even consider. They didn't have kelp noodles available to them as a convenient meal option on which to base an entire menu around. Their seaweed, if any, would have been as a garnish to the fish that they were likely consuming which was the focus of the meal, not the seaweed itself.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

love them but not the price
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post

Its unlikely that there would ever be an issue with iodine excess since you would need to eat a ridiculous amount of sea weed to get there. Which probably wouldn't happen since most hunter gather cultures didn't tend to get most of their calories from as single vegetable type.
                    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Working...
                    X