No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a vitamin E solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a vitamin E solution?

I just recently realized that I think I may have a digestive issue with nuts, so I'm abstaining for a while (I've never been eating lots of nuts anyway, so this isn't too difficult).

However, I've noticed that my vitamin E levels are REALLY low, and since I'm interested in getting as much of my nutrition from food, rather than supplements, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for which foods to eat to accomplish this.

Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin E

The above link lists the foods that are highest in vitamin E, but even non-nut sources like spinach have pretty low levels.

Well, I donno if this will be much help for you but I take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil to get some extra omegas and extra vitamins and even the low vitamin CLO that I take gives me about 6.6 mgs of vitamin E (44% of the RDA of 15 mg) per the 5 capsules. I was really hard pressed to get enough E also through diet alone.
    Eggs have some E and so does olive oil, but like you mentioned not much.

Comment

High Vitamin Butter Oil !

Comment

Unfortunately I can't have any dairy, so the butter oil (what is that, btw?) won't work. I do take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil, which has 33% RDA, so that's something. It seems weird that there are certain nutrients we can't get through diet...a flaw in the master plan.

How would Grok get vitamin E?

Comment

None of those top 10 seem particularly paleo. Maybe Grok didn't need all that Vit.E?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
            None of those top 10 seem particularly paleo. Maybe Grok didn't need all that Vit.E?
            This is the conclusion I have come to. Is the RDA only valid for grain eating folk? Pre agriculture, where would such a high level of Vitamin E have been found, and do we intact need it?

Comment

That's a really good question. I wonder if anyone with a medical background knows about the importance of vitamin E?

Comment

Brains and eyes.

I've heard from some paleo folk as an argument to human ingenuity that predators can't get at the brain case of their prey- this is simply untrue. It's the brain that provides their highest source of vitamin E.

Comment

I just read the wikipedia post on vitamin E - seems like it's not as important as i thought? I don't know whether to ignore vitamin E or start taking supplements...I've never heard of anyone with vitamin E deficiency related health problems. Or maybe I should start eating some squirrel brains!

Comment

Animals feeding on pasture have a high amount of vitamin E in their fat tissue (yellow fat). Fish have it, too.

Comment

I've been on an elimination diet for the past week (meat/fish/coconut oil/cod liver oil only) so I can reintroduce food groups, and while eating this way, I noticed my vitamin E was consistently below the %RDA, which is weird, because I've been eating sardines, salmon, and cod liver oil. This makes me think the %RDA is probably BS.

I wonder if getting vitamins in smaller doses from whole food sources is somehow worth more than taking isolated supplements?

Comment

The only supplement I take is evening primrose oil capsules, for gamma linolenic acid. They also contain 100% of the RDA vitamin E, which is handy.

I've been taking these for about 12 years, so even if anyone tells me they're not primal I'll be reluctant to consider giving them up! They do seem to be great for the skin as well as balancing hormones.
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sihana
                          What did you start taking them for, if I may ask?
                          Seasonal affective disorder and PMS symptoms.

Both much improved on a primal and low-histamine diet. So I'm not strict about taking them every day now. But if, as happens from time to time, I don't take any for a couple of weeks I feel a difference.
                          Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-20-2012, 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

VITAMIN E...in my opinion you 'need' it when you eat things it comes with. hence, why nuts have them. its a powerful antioxidant n the right context. if your obesely and chock full of PUFA, eliminating pufa and taking some E may be helpful, but in the context of a primal diet, if you eat foods that have vitamin E youre prolly getting what you need from them.
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've also noticed I'm consistently low on Vitamin E, and I don't want to eat 1/8th of my daily calories (60g) worth of almonds every day just to hit my RDI. Maybe the RDI is too high? Grass fed beef has much more vit e than grain fed but you would still have to eat 2 kg worth to reach the RDI, which seems a bit excessive.

Comment

Working...
                              X