Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow! My gym cafe sells paleo deliciousness!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! My gym cafe sells paleo deliciousness!

I was totally shocked this morning when I wandered over to the new "live food" cafe in my gym post work-out for some coffee to take with me on the commute to work.
    The chef who oversees the cafe said would I like anything else and then starts enumerating his offerings (before I could say no) including "a gluten free, dairy free parfait." That got my attention!!
    He said it contained fresh coconut, toasted coconut, ground almonds and fresh fruit. So I said "do you mean you use canned coconut milk?"
    "No, no, I get young green coconuts, take the meat and process it until it is creamy and that is the base of the parfait."
    I stared at him in disbelief! You just don't find this quality of ingredients in "to-go" convenience food or in gyms which usually make smoothies with frankenfood protein powders. Needless to say, I bought one and OH MAN was it good! I think he added a touch of cinnamon to the toasted coconut and almonds and there were a few pieces of dried fruit as well for chew. It was pricey (as expected) so I won't get it often, but as a treat once a week or so, definitely. It was just so refreshing (and surprising) to see higher caliber ingredients making their way into convenience foods and quick serve cafes.
    I can't wait to see him again and tell him how much I enjoyed it and how amazed I was he even offered it.

I am very happy for you. Truly. That is awesome.

Comment

Wow! I'm jealous. My gym just has tons of those huge 'muscle milk' containers behind the counter. Yuck!

Comment

Hopefully its the start of something better and not an anomoly
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

you suck, i'm jealous. Hope this catches on in other places.
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I saw this magazine Living Without - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Other Food Allergies while waiting in line at Whole Foods yesterday. Whoo!

Comment

Mmm, lucky! That sounds so good!
              Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

Those young coconuts are a staple of raw fooders.

Comment

Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                  I saw this magazine Living Without - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Other Food Allergies while waiting in line at Whole Foods yesterday. Whoo!
                  good magazine.. its usually nut free with recipes too
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

That sounds incredibly delicious!
                    Pre-Primal SW: 161
                    CW- 150
                    Goal 120ish

Comment

I used to make this breakfast porridge (before I gave up nuts ) It sounds like something you might like - pretty similar to what you described. It is amazing for breakfast. Good warm or cold - but I like it cold best.

1. Meat and liquid from 2 fresh, young coconuts
                      2. 2-3 cups of soaked almonds
                      3. 2 apples, cut into pieces
                      4. 5 figs
                      5. cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend together until the consistency of oatmeal. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

I think it might be good with half macadamia nuts, half almonds. Or add a little coconut milk to it.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                      X