Interviewed a Previous Biggest Loser Contestant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviewed a Previous Biggest Loser Contestant

Interviewed Kai Hibbard who almost won The Biggest Loser a few years ago. She talks about all the BS that goes on behind the scenes. Check it out and let me know what you think:

Hunting For Health: Hunting For health #12: Kai Hibbard (Biggest Loser)

Thanks squeally dan, that was an interesting interview.

This article backs up a lot of what was said about the off camera occurrences, even though it was written by a paying customer of the biggest loser boot camp resort:
    My Week at the Biggest Loser Fat Camp - NYTimes.com
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Thanks for listening! I'm glad more people are learning the truth about these type shows.

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
      Thanks squeally dan, that was an interesting interview.

This article backs up a lot of what was said about the off camera occurrences, even though it was written by a paying customer of the biggest loser boot camp resort:
      My Week at the Biggest Loser Fat Camp - NYTimes.com

Comment

I've always detested this show. They take super obese people who haven't moved off the couch or eaten a vegetable in decades, then force them into extreme physical exercises like hiking with very heavy loads and shove dry, tasteless Jenni-O turkey garbage at them. Then we wonder when they show up in the news, months later, having regained all their weight.

And the shenanigans that goes on, i.e. water-loading, etc., is pathetic. The way the trainers yell and scream at them to stay on their hamster-mills, even though these poor people are sweating profusely and literally can't walk one more step just sickens me.

Wonder what would happen if you took a group of people who was 50-100 lbs. overweight, brought them to a similar-type ranch, fed them a nice Paleo diet, and brought them slowly into light walking, lifting, etc., working up to a HIIT type of workout a few times of week outdoors, so they could get some sunshine (instead of all that time they spend in the gym).
        Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
        Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
        5'2" Female
        11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
        7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
        Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Comment

Hey - thanks for this tid bit of info. I always knew things were staged (I mean those weigh ins - come on) but will now tell people the truth about what goes on whenever the topic comes up. I used to be a big fan of this show, but now I fall asleep or forget it's on! This seems to be in the past year too - since being paleo/primal and losing >100lbs myself. Now I spend half the time I actual watch it (I am easily distracted away from most TV shows) yelling at the TV for whatever stupid crap they seem to be doing. Time for this show to go Bye-bye!
          Last edited by Mud Flinger; 01-13-2012, 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
            Hey - thanks for this tid bit of info. I always knew things were staged (I mean those weigh ins - come on) but will now tell people the truth about what goes on whenever the topic comes up. I used to be a big fan of this show, but now I fall asleep or forget it's on! This seems to be in the past year too - since being paleo/primal and losing >100lbs myself. Now I spend half the time I actual watch it (I am easily discrated away from most TV shows) yelling at the TV for whatever stupid crap they seem to be doing. Time for this show to go Bye-bye!
            Ditto

I can barely stand to watch TV anymore because every commercial irritates the hell out of me. Biggest loser is like a big commercial for CW health nuts... with tons of product spots put in and yelling. It used to be inspiring now its annoying and infurriating.
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I have never watched that show. It has always seemed like it would be a mean show, like a lot of those reality shows are, with people degrading others in front of the camera. Also, the idea that you have to work out so hard to lose weight is a really negative message to send to all those overweight people in the world. The message I got watching Gary Taubes lecture and from websites like this is so much more liberating and uplifting. Fat accumulation isn't a character flaw it's simply a hormonal problem. A hormonal problem with a simple fix.

I actually gave up exercise when I started this diet. I had read on either the PaNu or Protein Power blogs that studies showed that many people lost more weight by not exercising and that the weight lost was fat not muscle. So since I was having a hard time with exercising, I decided I would quit while in the initial weight loss phase. Oddly enough, it has worked. Of course, by quit I mean I quit the daily cardio and just did things I actually enjoy instead like hiking on the weekend or bird watching around the lagoon at work. I've recently added a 2x/week class that does various strength exercises. We'll see what that does, but it can't hurt (except of course for giving me sore muscles )
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I thought it was an enlightening interview.
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I just listened to the interview (didn't have time when I posted earlier). Confirms what I said even further...that TBL is all about drama & TV production values.

Great interview; thanks for sharing!
                  Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
                  Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
                  5'2" Female
                  11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
                  7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
                  Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    he message I got watching Gary Taubes lecture and from websites like this is so much more liberating and uplifting. Fat accumulation isn't a character flaw it's simply a hormonal problem. A hormonal problem with a simple fix.
                    I have to disagree with you. I think the Gary Taubes and many countless others go tooo far on the hormonal problem vs character. I'm sorry but changing one diet takes will power no matter how you cut it. I think its BOTH... for some people its more one way then the other and it could be either one. For one, you cannot deny that there are plenty of people that have lost FAT on CW style diets and acheived amazing body compositions eating plenty of carbohydrates on a daily basis. For two, there are plenty of people that just can't get motivated or stick with anything.. there are plenty of people that have failed the primal way. But saying that its all the fault if the carbs seems like a way for people to avoid responsibility for their own actions or like its some kind of freakin magic answer and its not. It's possible to gain weight on a low carb diet...its overly simplified.

I'm ranting but I was almost turned off from low-carb anything at first because of the..oh its not your fault your fat its the carbs. It IS bullshit! It is partially my fault and I will take responsibility. People still have to CHANGE, this is not easy no matter how you look at it, no matter how "balanced" your hormones are, just look at all the threads about falling on/off the wagon, its more about what you eat you MUST change! There are plenty of times that I didnt give an F and ate a pint of ice cream everyday knowing that it was going to fat and spent plenty of time sitting on my a**. I also lost the same amount of weight on 3 different diets low fat, low carb, portion control you name it. It may have been less fat then primal but not anything noticeable.

The thing that did turn me on and keep me primal???? Is the HEALTH aspect. That is not magic that is real. Plus it makes SENSE that eating REAL natural foods would be better then anything manufactured, plus I feel better.. That's what all those weight watcher people are missing out on, for them its all about the weight! Also changing my mindset, I am not one that can moderate my intake of certain things..I will fall down that slope..slowly at first until I feel like a miserable failure and don't get an F. The rest of the lifestyle as well...really trying to live life to the fullest, and most natural I love!
                    Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                      I have to disagree with you. I think the Gary Taubes and many countless others go tooo far on the hormonal problem vs character. I'm sorry but changing one diet takes will power no matter how you cut it. I think its BOTH... for some people its more one way then the other and it could be either one. For one, you cannot deny that there are plenty of people that have lost FAT on CW style diets and acheived amazing body compositions eating plenty of carbohydrates on a daily basis. For two, there are plenty of people that just can't get motivated or stick with anything.. there are plenty of people that have failed the primal way. But saying that its all the fault if the carbs seems like a way for people to avoid responsibility for their own actions or like its some kind of freakin magic answer and its not. It's possible to gain weight on a low carb diet...its overly simplified.

I'm ranting but I was almost turned off from low-carb anything at first because of the..oh its not your fault your fat its the carbs. It IS bullshit! It is partially my fault and I will take responsibility. People still have to CHANGE, this is not easy no matter how you look at it, no matter how "balanced" your hormones are, just look at all the threads about falling on/off the wagon, its more about what you eat you MUST change! There are plenty of times that I didnt give an F and ate a pint of ice cream everyday knowing that it was going to fat and spent plenty of time sitting on my a**. I also lost the same amount of weight on 3 different diets low fat, low carb, portion control you name it. It may have been less fat then primal but not anything noticeable.

The thing that did turn me on and keep me primal???? Is the HEALTH aspect. That is not magic that is real. Plus it makes SENSE that eating REAL natural foods would be better then anything manufactured, plus I feel better.. That's what all those weight watcher people are missing out on, for them its all about the weight! Also changing my mindset, I am not one that can moderate my intake of certain things..I will fall down that slope..slowly at first until I feel like a miserable failure and don't get an F. The rest of the lifestyle as well...really trying to live life to the fullest, and most natural I love!
                      I have to agree with this.

In my experience, excessive carbs (i.e. > 50% of calorie intake), eating toxic foods that gave me chronic inflammation and lack of exercise have been the biggest causes of weight gain over the years.

I've never gone very low carb and I don't intend to do so. I believe it's eating the wrong kind of carbs, especially fructose/sucrose or starches in toxic grains, and in high carb snacks and high-carb meals, in conjunction with being sedentary, that's particularly detrimental.

Being active is the most natural and effective way to regulate blood sugar; eating moderate amounts of safe starch, with adequate protein and healthy fats, is the best facilitator for being active and maintaining muscle. It's a chicken and egg scenario which I feel some MDA members just don't get.

There is a natural need to identify a bogeyman, and on this site it's usually all carbs + chronic cardio.
                      Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Yeah, but I exercised like crazy and yet all it took was one donut and I would gain weight. I was running 4 miles a day 3-4 times a week and exerting incredible willpower to eat salads without dressing and low-fat food and not eat sweets. But I still wasn't losing any weight. And I was so hungry I was nearly in tears every day. When I changed over to a high-fat low-carb diet rich in grass-fed and pastured animal fats the hunger turned off the very first day. For the first time in my life I was not preoccupied with food.

I always though the preoccupation with food was a character flaw of mine, a sign that I had a food addiction or something. Suddenly the preoccupation was gone and I was so disoriented for the first couple of weeks. What are you supposed to think about if it's not what you are going to eat next, what you aren't going to eat, what you wish you could eat, or scheming for preventative eating so you won't be caught hungry somewhere without money or access to food? Seriously, I was totally lost and confused and couldn't figure out what to do with myself. For me it totally was a hormonal thing related to all the sweets and low-fat foods.

Sure, it takes some willpower to resist the bad stuff, but it's not very hard to resist it when you aren't fighting against being starving and fighting against all that noise in your head. And for me, just knowing that I have a physical problem that is triggered by the bad stuff makes it easier to resist. If it was just a mental problem alone, I would just keep on like always, berating myself for my weak will, feeling ashamed of my thoughts. That never worked.

I am not always perfect on this diet and I'm not always low carb. I drink beer sometimes. Sometimes I have a piece of not-so-dark chocolate. Sometimes there are donuts or cookies in front of me and my arm reaches out. But then I remember I'm not supposed to eat those things and the beauty of eating a high-fat low-carb primal diet for me is that in a few minutes my arm forgets it reached out and I go on talking with the other people in the room and my mind is silent of the old noise it used to have of all that "should I or shouldn't I" nonsense, the focus on the donuts or the cookies or whatever, the calling of them, the nagging, the not being fully present. All that noise is gone.

If that's not your experience that is fine. But I am not going to apologize for it being mine. It has been incredibly liberating for me.

Comment

Yeah, but I exercised like crazy and yet all it took was one donut and I would gain weight. I was running 4 miles a day 3-4 times a week and exerting incredible willpower to eat salads without dressing and low-fat food and not eat sweets. But I still wasn't losing any weight. And I was so hungry I was nearly in tears every day. When I changed over to a high-fat low-carb diet rich in grass-fed and pastured animal fats the hunger turned off the very first day. For the first time in my life I was not preoccupied with food.

I always though the preoccupation with food was a character flaw of mine, a sign that I had a food addiction or something. Suddenly the preoccupation was gone and I was so disoriented for the first couple of weeks. What are you supposed to think about if it's not what you are going to eat next, what you aren't going to eat, what you wish you could eat, or scheming for preventative eating so you won't be caught hungry somewhere without money or access to food? Seriously, I was totally lost and confused and couldn't figure out what to do with myself. For me it totally was a hormonal thing related to all the sweets and low-fat foods.

Sure, it takes some willpower to resist the bad stuff, but it's not very hard to resist it when you aren't fighting against being starving and fighting against all that noise in your head. And for me, just knowing that I have a physical problem that is triggered by the bad stuff makes it easier to resist. If it was just a mental problem alone, I would just keep on like always, berating myself for my weak will, feeling ashamed of my thoughts. That never worked.

I am not always perfect on this diet and I'm not always low carb. I drink beer sometimes. Sometimes I have a piece of not-so-dark chocolate. Sometimes there are donuts or cookies in front of me and my arm reaches out. But then I remember I'm not supposed to eat those things and the beauty of eating a high-fat low-carb primal diet for me is that in a few minutes my arm forgets it reached out and I go on talking with the other people in the room and my mind is silent of the old noise it used to have of all that "should I or shouldn't I" nonsense, the focus on the donuts or the cookies or whatever, the calling of them, the nagging, the not being fully present. All that noise is gone.

If that's not your experience that is fine. But I am not going to apologize for it being mine. It has been incredibly liberating for me.
                          For sure, it's great to hear that primal has been so liberating for you.

However, all the carbs you mention that you were addicted to contain significant amounts of sugar. Starch is a very different beast, as it's much less addictive (when consumed in balanced meals with plenty of fat and protein) and it doesn't have to be detoxified by the liver as fructose does. I feel it's dangerous and very limiting to tar all carbs with the same brush.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I'm glad. However, It might have been less difficult for you if you were trying to maintain a much higher body fat %. I can't seem to get to a lower body fat % without dropping another 3000Kcal a week even eating primal, even eating VLC primal. So its not a one size fits all.

As I said I think both are at play but there are plenty of other people out there that this is not the case. I think going low carb makes it easier for all the reasons you stated, plus staying away from the addictive food. However, I stand by the fact that eating healthy carbs will not necessarily make you fat, and that going low-carb alone will not be enough for most people to stay healthy forever. By going just on hormone issues and not discussing the other mirad of issues it will just set people up to fail again and again. People like you who were dedicated to the low fat lifestyle is one thing, or the prior vegans... but the average american is neither. It's not just one thing, and that is my major problem. We need to stop picking one thing and look at the problem from all angles. We can't ignore the fact that people have no MOTIVATION to eat right and stay healthy. They think that giving up their food would be decreasing their happiness..much like cig smokers. We can't ignore the fact that most people (like myself) have a desktop where they sit for 8+ hours a day, then go home and sit on the couch. You should spend one week in my office and see how much CANDY people eat... and cookies..and you name it. You also can't ignore the "black sheep" people like the one person in my office that eats plenty of candy herself is able to maintain a low body fat %... so ?? There is more going on here then insulin.
                            Primal since March 2011

Comment

Why do you think people eating candy all day is more going on than insulin? Eating candy all day is exactly what happens when your insulin is driving your life.

Eating candy all day was me before I tried to lose weight. Someone brought in tootsie rolls and left a big pile of them on a table in the office. I grabbed a couple of handfuls every day and ate one handful and put the other handful in a drawer for when all the tootsie rolls were finally gone. I didn't want to run out. Then I would have to buy candy every day, which meant I had to admit that I needed it. That was the way I lived. In search of candy. Then I decided to try to lose some weight so I started running and eating salad and not eating the tootsie rolls that lay in wait for me in my drawer. But sometimes I still ate them anyway. I'd get where I just really really needed some sugar and I'd eat them. When I quit the sugar and went on a low-carb high fat primal diet and realized that it worked, that it got rid of the cravings, after a couple of weeks I took the tootsie rolls out of my drawer and left them on the table for others. I no longer needed them.

I don't care what other people want to eat. My co-worker keeps a dish of candy in her office and comes around every day with pastries. She keeps coming to my office so I put a sign on my door telling people not to bring pastries to my office. She's finally learning. She's big and doughy and yet she goes to a work-out class every day and rides her bike to work. She has never said she thinks she is fat or otherwise unhappy with her appearance. She's got a different standard for herself and it is none of my business.

I have another co-worker who is quite large. She's losing weight to try and look good for her wedding pictures. She's using portion control. It appears to be working. I thought she looked like she'd lost weight when I saw her this morning. Good for her! Most women in my office are like her. One of them is thin and gorgeous and she says stuff like "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." I used to try to say stuff like that to myself but it never worked. I'm glad it works for her. Most of the others are just typical middle-aged women, not really fat, not really thin. They keep it in check with moderate exercise and will-power. Good for them!

I don't tar every carb with a negative brush. I eat sweet potatoes or yams most days and super-dark chocolate way more often than I should and I like the starchier green vegetables like peas and broccoli. But I don't think I need to eat very many carbs to be healthy.

So many people here give advice to newbies that they can eat as much fruit as they want. I don't think that will work for everyone. I rarely eat fruit anymore. After my 3000 mile hike, I attempted to prevent gaining the weight back afterwards by eating grapefruit and peaches. The weight came on so fast I could see it in the mirror every day. I gained it all back and more in a matter of weeks. I had lost about 25 pounds on that 3000 mile hike and fruit put it back on. I'm talking 1 huge peach with plain yogurt for breakfast and one huge grapefruit for lunch and then a regular dinner. Poof. Fat once more. I used to eat a half a mango every morning thinking it was healthier than eating bacon and eggs. I fought hunger within a couple hours and ended up eating every couple hours for the rest of the day. When I eat bacon and eggs, I don't eat all the rest of the day.

What else could that be but insulin? Insulin is the hormone that puts fat into your cells. I flooded my body with it all the time, either by eating pastries or candy or fruit. I am one of these people with insulin resistance. It's a miracle the difference when I keep my insulin low. Maybe I should call my diet a low insulin diet rather than a low carb diet, because that's what it is. People get so hung up on the words "low carb".

I'm not trying to get ripped and be thinner than my body naturally wants. I'm too old for that kind of thing. I've been experimenting with carb refeeds because I know it's not necessary or even good to stay low carb all the time. I want metabolic flexibility. I'm taking it slow with the carbs because I've only been low carb for a couple of months. Certainly that's not enough time to heal 47 years of insulin resistance. I have a long history of it. My mom made cookie dough for dinner when I was a baby. I've been this way since babyhood. I used to steal candy from the grocery store even as a small child. I used to eat all my Halloween candy in 2 days. You want to talk about how much candy a person can eat! I used to save my milk money because milk was 7 cents and ice cream was 10 cents so every other day I could get ice cream and after saving the extra pennies, I could get a 2nd ice cream. I'd hide the money at school or in my shoe so my mom wouldn't know. I had all kinds of schemes all my life to keep the sugar coming in. How much you want to bet at least some of your co-workers are like me?

Comment

Working...
                              X