Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider to be the most important rule of your primal eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you consider to be the most important rule of your primal eating?

1) Low carb / healthy carb

2) Avoiding PUFA / eating healthy fats only

I ask because although I find it easy to eat low carb, avoiding bad oils is something I don't always succeed with. For example, the family ordered chinese last night. I got a special with steak, mushrooms, peppers, and water chestnuts, knowing it was probably fried in crap. As it turned out, it was floating in some kind of gravy (no mention of that on the menu), so I strained it out and washed the gravy and grease off, while adding some butter.

It's an example of staying low carb but probably eating some bad oils, and I typically end up in this situation two or three times a week.

Is anyone the same way? Or would you eat higher carb before eating unhealthy fats?

Interesting question, I'll leave the answer to the experts, but well asked and I'm intrigued
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

I would eat higher carb before eating crappy oils if I had a choice - I don't find primal carbs to be any problem for me at all. I don't eat out very often though, so I don't worry about the bad oils or the carbs in that situation.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I'll pick Carbs over Crap every time, but I sometimes eat crappy carbs. I'm human.
        Durp.

Comment

For me, it's to avoid sugar and grains as if it was death itself. The way it affects me now that I'm clean is beyond belief. The occasional dinner out, cooked in canola, doesn't make me literally feel sick for the following week like some accidental gluten can!

Comment

I think it depends on your personal struggles and how each affects you. One could argue that higher n-6 intake could be countered by a couple extra fish oil caps, though excessive PUFA consumption isn't something you want to expose yourself to on a regular basis.

Gluten is probably the longest term detriment that I feel one could expose themselves to, depending on sensitivity. 14 - 21 days a looong time to be paying for a cheat.

Personally, sugar is the most dangerous for me. On both an inflammatory scale, and the scope of the consequences. If I manage to fall off the wagon at just the right angle, I can create a month+ downward spiral of sugar addiction, simply by having that first bite.

Comment

My three commandments are:
              no gluten
              no dairy
              no legumes

I rarely eat out anymore, so the crap oils aren't much of a problem - I pretty much pack my kitchen whenever I travel anywhere, and I'd prefer to fast rather than get fast food or eat out (unless it's a really good restaurant for a special occasion that's been planned - I avoid the spontaneous restaurant experience because it rarely ends up being anything other than a disappointment).

I would eat non-glutenous grains if I was going to a dinner party at a friend's house and s/he made some kind of rice or quinoa or corn dish, or maybe some sorbet, even though it's not something I eat daily, but I never break my 3 commendments.

Comment

I've been eating relatively high-carb lately, mostly in vegetables though. I probably eat 150+ grams of carbohydrate most days. My meat intake has gone down because of it but I do feel a lot better (because vegetables are so damn good, not because meat is bad in any way) and have steadily been getting leaner.
                That's the way I feel like it would be in nature anyway, so that's what I stick to. Definitely healthy carbs over crap for me, but if you're healthy your body can probably handle those PUFAs once in awhile.

Comment

I'd choose the oil over the carbs. Simple carbs make me feel awful. (mind you, when we do eat chinese, my children get awful sores on their lips, so it probably isn't doing an awful lot of good on the inside). We've cut the takeaway right down to about once a month. (cooking 3 x a day - summer holidays - for 6 people can sometimes be too much)

Comment

Grains make me ache. Fake oils give me zits. Would I rather limp or pus? Both are sad.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by andygt02 View Post
                      I got a special with steak, mushrooms, peppers, and water chestnuts, knowing it was probably fried in crap. As it turned out, it was floating in some kind of gravy (no mention of that on the menu), so I strained it out and washed the gravy and grease off, while adding some butter.
                      Query how low carb that meal really is? You don't know how much sugar and corn starch they add to crappy Chinese food. In addition to the bad oils, MSG never did anybody any good. Better to stick with steamed items with no sauce when ordering Chinese. Better yet, just avoid Chinese unless it's a higher end establishment (and no, PFChang's don't count as high end) and even then it's a little dubious.

On the posted question, I agree that it really depends on the idiosyncrasies of your particular metabolism and what your triggers/problems are.

Comment

It depends where I'm eating. If I'm eating out, I pretty much accept that I'm getting PUFA-oil contamination, so my #1 thing to avoid is gluten. However, I will drink beer. It's different in my mind if it's fermented, and beer gives me zero issues, only positives. It makes me invulnerable to criticism, makes the opposite sex look more attractive, makes food taste better and I'm pretty sure it makes me witty and charming, so I don't see a need to avoid it.

When I'm cooking my own food, it's a bit different. I don't buy wheat products, but some of the things I buy - nuts, seeds, etc. - say that they're processed in facilities that also process wheat, soy, etc. I don't spend the extra money for certified gluten-free, so some insignificant amount of cross-contamination is irrelevant to me. However, I will ALWAYS avoid PUFA-oil. There is just no excuse for me to use anything containing that in my own kitchen.

Ultimately, I think PUFA oils are the worst things for us with gluten being #2 on the list. #3 would probably be refined sugar, but I still eat things like 72+% dark chocolate, or maybe once a month or less I'll have legitimate store-bought ice cream or something. On a handful of occasions (*cough* New Years Eve *cough*) I'll get hammered and pick up a pint of Ben & Jerry's on the way home from the city, but it's very, very rare. Eh, what can ya do? Sometimes you just want it. But there is NEVER an excuse for PUFA oils. They don't even taste like anything so you can't even use a "drunken craving" excuse.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-08-2012, 10:48 PM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Omega-3's from fish, too, Choco? Fish are PB approved.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

My most important rules:
                            - No PUFAs
                            - No Wheat/limited grains of all types
                            - No processed sugar/limited fruit
                            - No beans/limited potatoes, rice, nuts

As far as eating out, here's some examples. We went to Chili's the other night, I got a 12oz ribeye with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes--I asked them to substitute the mashed potatoes with more broc, they were happy to do it. Went to Thai restaurant last week. I had a beef salad with vinegar/olive oil, there didn't seem to be any nasty crap in it. Way better than pad thai floating in oil and corn starch. I've yet to eat somewhere I can't fid something, even if it's soup and salad.
                            -

Comment

For me it's about avoiding the foods that trigger insatiable hunger, over-eating and lead me to gaining fat. My biggest enemy was and always will be sugar, and the carb/fat combination. So, my list of eliminations reflect that:

No sweet flavors even from sweeter vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes).
                              No nuts, dairy, coffee and chocolate
                              Chose approved oils in cooking, but prefer no added fat.
                              No grains/legumes.
                              I don't eat out. Period.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X