Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another, I know it's not Paleo/Primal question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another, I know it's not Paleo/Primal question...

We live on a sailboat in Florida and cruise the Keys and Bahamas. There is some rule somewhere that sailors are supposed to drink rum....
    Well when I have my Captian and coke, am I 'better off' have a diet coke?
    Or what about Coconut rum and pineapple juice? Coconuts are Paleo and pineapples are Paleo, so....

Just wishful thinking.

Wm

I do spiced rum with a splash of pineapple or grapefruit on the rocks... mmmmmmm

Otherwise id say the once ina while rum and diet wont kill you.

Comment

Just enjoy it straight on the rocks! Thats what i do since there is no more soda in my life, also not much drinkin either! To focused on my lifestyle changes
      Started Primal November 20, 2011
      Slipped from Christmas-New Years
      January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
      Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Comment

Sugar free daquari.

2 parts light rum
        1 part Key Lime juice

Shake well over crushed ice and strain.

Comment

You're not better off with diet coke vs coke for your captain and coke. If you want soda sometimes, find one made with actual sugar and natural ingredients. There ARE some out there! The aspartame in diet coke is an abomination.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.
            I'm not tough enough et to go straight :-(
            There was that struggle between Sugar in regular coke and the 'who knows what' in the diet stuff.

But several good ideas.

Wm

Comment

Originally posted by Wmiii View Post
              I'm not tough enough et to go straight :-(
              If you can drink rum and diet coke you can drink anything. Upgrade the rum and drink less of it, or perhaps coconut water as a mixer?
              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

OK,
                We are a couple of weeks away from heading over to the Bahamas. The last time we went, I took 32 cases of beer. Now I don't drink nearly as much beer, but I guess we'll take some, just because it is VERY expensive over there.
                Rum is cheap there, so still looking for mixer ideas...

Wm

Comment

there are a couple of more "natural" diet sodas you could use as a mixer....
                  sweetened with stevia:
                  Zevia
                  Blue Sky Free

sweetened with splenda:
                  Hansen's Diet

(Zevia is not my favorite in any of their offered flavors but i haven't tried it with rum LOL)

Comment

aspertame in diet coke would make my choice clear...envy you being in Florida

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

Rum with coconut water and a splash of pineapple and/or lime is pretty tasty.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'd go with the regular coke personally. My body IS made to handle spikes of dietary sugar. Maybe not well and certainly not ALL the time but my body has NO mechanism for handling artificial sweetener chemical crap!

Comment

Rum is better straight! On the rocks. Love me a good, dark rum.

However, coconut rum and pineapple juice is A-F*CKING-MAZING!
                          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I'd personally go with regular coke, but you'll get varying opinions.
                            Most people around here would probably say real sugar is better than artificial sweeteners. There is a stevia soda.. which might be good but I haven't bothered researching stevia.
                            As for not being tough enough, you just gotta learn how to drink it! On the rocks, let the ice melt a few minutes. Don't take gulps, take sips. If you want, add extra water at first to learn how to appreciate the taste, and slowly wean off the extra water over time. Just let the small amount just kind of diffuse around your mouth, you don't even need to swallow really.
                            But if you like rum-and-cokes, that's good too.

Comment

Paleo Cocktails: Rum Coco
                              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Working...
                              X