No announcement yet.

sun damaged skin...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basal or squamous cell carcinoma (which are not going to kill you but can disfigure and cause lots of suffering).
    I might be wrong but doesn't this require quite a LOT of sun exposure? I doubt the risks would be significant from 15-30 minutes of sun a day? But I could be wrong...
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
      I just don't buy that! I've known peopel who hardly see the sun get it, and others who are always in it NEVER have it!
      That's what I've seen too. My mom (classical musician, librarian, rarely sees the light of day) has had some skin removed but my dad (golf at least once a week, always out in the yard working on stuff) never did.

I'm a blue-eyed fair-skinned blonde and I work outside in the desert, literally out in the sun from sunrise to at least 2pm, sometimes until sunset. I've done this job for 4 years, and in previous years, I would sometimes use sunscreen during the summer, sometimes not. If I forgot, I would get a sunburn, and I absolutely KNOW that is damaging.

Now, I don't use sunscreen. As the seasons change and the days get longer, I'm slowly and naturally building up a tan. I haven't had any sunburn at all. The only exception was when I was on vacation at the beach. Yeah, they don't generally let me wear a bikini at work so I got a sunburned belly.

So it can be done. You just have to work your way up to it. Sunburns are definitely bad, and I think that's where my mom got her skin cancer from. I don't honestly see the problem with getting a nice, slow tan.
      Durp.

Comment

I just don't buy that! I've known peopel who hardly see the sun get it, and others who are always in it NEVER have it! It's not just as simple as being in the sun... Besides, I just can't get my head around the sun being a 'bad' thing. It gives us life for starters, and if our ancestors got skin cancer from the sun, we would have died out millennia ago!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out laying in it every day, for hours on end, and, I'm not saying thatdoesn't damage the skin, because my ugly age spot shows that it does... but in my mind, it HAS to be a combination of sun + other factors (bad diet, chemicals in skin care, pollution, vitamin deficiency. etc)

And, if I'm going for a walk in nature, I absolutely refuse to cover up every inch, and slather on god-knows-what sh$t onto my skin, where I can absorb it into my body.
        I have to say our ancestors probably sought shelter under trees etc in the hottest part of the day. It also depends on where you live to, the sun is different in the UK or a similar "cold" country to what it is in somewhere like Australia (UV harshness wise).

I live in Australia and the number of people dying from melanoma is now through the roof and this is young people in their 20's. Most are just living the healthy active outdoor lifestyle and surfing/swimming at the beach, but it all adds up over time.

If you don't want to wear sunscreen etc, download a weather app to your phone (if you have a smart phone) and check to see what the UV rating is for that day. If it's classed as low or under 2 you can get away with minimal or no protection. If it's above that you need sunscreen, hat etc. Here in Australia in the part where I live, I have never seen it go under very high, even in the winter. So someone like me would be nuts not to cover up.
        Last edited by Raine; 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

It seems sun exposure increases survival for melanoma:

Sun exposure and mortality from melanoma. [J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

or

Sun Exposure and Mortality From Melanoma

Comment

I use copper peptides, mineral sunscreen and Egyptian Magic to help my sun damaged skin.

Comment

I've been having 30 minutes of sun exposure every day, since starting Paleo and loving it.

Reestablishing my love of the sun, and enjoying the warmth of it on my skin has been great. Except... I KNOW I am getting sun damage. Not so much worried about melanoma, and I've always refused to wear chemical-laden sun-screen, but for the past few months have been watching this massive age spot (liver spot) appearing, and darkening, in all it's ugly glory!

So, just back from having had a huge brown ugliness removed by laser. in a bit of pain now, I have to say, and the smell of my own burning flesh... well, that's another reason not to get any more!

The dr. doing the procedure said I should wear sunscreen... I said, no way. She said, I could get more of these ugly spots if I didn't.

Here's my question, does eating Paleo help protect the skin from sun damage as well as skin cancer? Or, am I really gonna get more of them getting my daily dose of Vit D?
              Thaijinx
              The easy & natural way to get rid of sun spots, moles, skin lesions and warts is to simply paint them with Lugols Liquid Iodine, available at Amazon.Com
              Thread: Iodine And Age Spots (maybe) at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (ThreadID: 927040)

Also iodine with required supplements cures Fibrocystic Breasts, PCOS, Endometriosis, cysts & hypothyroid. Details here:
              http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
              One of our members at the Iodine group just today reports being cured of Endometriosis.

Grizz

Comment

Stop it, Grizz. No, actually - from now on, every time you post an asinine snake oil thread, I'm going to post about my latest informational explorations, or a recent fanciful attachment I've developed.

I saw the birds in my front yard a few days ago, and they were beautiful black crows. Then, the next day, I came across a dead baby crow. I was disheartened at the sight, but it got me thinking about nabbing a baby crow for a pet. So I did a little Googling and found out that it's illegal to have crows as pets because some populations are migratory. So I'd have to be sneaky about it if I even toyed at all with a crow for kicks. Turns out there's all sorts of different crow populations and subspecies all over the place! I even saw a raven the other day out my window and really thought about coaxing it toward some food, to tame it. So now, almost every chance I get, I'm reading about crows on the internet. It's a passing passion, much like YOUR IDIOTIC IODINE FANTASY.

Next time I see your face, you get to hear about my newly adopted disabled goldfish and his deformed mouth...
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

LOL. Really did laugh out loud

Although I would definitely try painting and liver spots with liquid iodine if I had any. Or warts.

Comment

@ Knifegill
                    DANG!! censor much? Lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X