Coconut Water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Water?

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find anything specific on the advanced search...)

I am interested in adding some coconut water into my diet after reading a lot about its potassium and mineral properties...

I'd dive right in but its quite expensive here so I was wondering...has anyone out there experienced any really positive or negative effects of regularly drinking coconut water?

I use it as a sport drink alternative for rehydration after intense workouts but don't really drink it daily. It works well for that purpose, but I only drink about a 250 ml serving. I buy it in the 1L tetra boxes and go through one every couple of weeks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I treat myself to it once in a while. I have a membership to GNC and get it cheaper there. I buy VitaCoco as that's the only kind I really like. It's so good. I'm thinking about trying it in smoothies :D
      **Food and Meows**

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
        I use it as a sport drink alternative for rehydration after intense workouts but don't really drink it daily. It works well for that purpose, but I only drink about a 250 ml serving. I buy it in the 1L tetra boxes and go through one every couple of weeks.
        +1
        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

It is expensive and depending on the brand, it can have quite a bit of carbs, so if you are watching it there then just exercise moderation.
          Personally I love coconut water but because of the cost, and the carbs, and the fact that my favorite brand comes in a 2 serving can which I can't refrigerate after just one serving do to poor willpower, I avoid it. However, if I worked out more, and had more money, I would definitely drink a lot of it if not just for the potassium alone as it's such a great source.
          BTW, my fav brand is C2O Pure Coconut Water. They carry it at Whole Foods, although sporadically in my area. Second fav is Natural Factor Organic Coconut Water, more potassium in that brand per serving, and the small can means less carbs and no need for willpower.

Comment

I drink it pre-race (running that is) with some extra electrolytes, maybe 60 calories worth. Think of it as gatorade.

Its also excellent to drink when hungover -- drink it cold -- or as a prophylactic right before bed if you've had some to drink.

Comment

I like the stuff but only use it on occasion. It is pretty high in sugar and there are better sources of the minerals. But for re hydration after illness or .. uh.. hangovers. .. it cant be beat=)

Comment

I buy young coconuts fresh off the tree and open them with my machete, and yes, I swear by them. Daily. I love coconut water!
                SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Coconut water is going in my labor and delivery bag, but otherwise I don't tend to drink it b/c of the carbs.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I drink coconut water after working out because it contains electrolytes (read here about coconut water nutrition facts), i can't say that im a fan of coconut products but water is qute delicious, thirst quenching and not too sweet.
                    Last edited by Geopame; 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                      Coconut water is going in my labor and delivery bag, but otherwise I don't tend to drink it b/c of the carbs.
                      It's in mine, too!

I've been drinking it daily for pretty much this whole pregnancy to stay hydrated, especially since I've been fighting Group B bladder and kidney infections. I drank it not just because I needed tons of fluid to flush my system and didn't want to get dehydrated, but also for it's antibacterial properties. It seems to have helped a lot. It also helped with my nausea some, too.

It is sadly expensive, though. Trader Joes now has it's own brand for pretty cheep (I hate the Zico stuff that they also carry). The new Trader Joes stuff is $3.00 for 33.8 oz and just has vitamin C added. It actually tastes almost like it comes straight out of a coconut. The best coconut water is, of course, the stuff fresh out of a young coconut. Mmmm! Asian markets often have those coconuts for $0.99-$1.99, and you get the yummy, sweet meat inside...

Comment

I really love the C20 Coconut Water with Pulp. Amazon.com has it for around $2 a can. The can is two servings, but the whole can has 26g of carbs, which is about the same as an apple, so I just drink the whole can and count it as a fruit.

Comment

Working...
                        X