Too much B12 and Selenium?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much B12 and Selenium?

Hello, I've been reading a lot about the primal diet/lifestyle for the last few weeks and I've been making a lot of changes in my diet. My mother makes the dinner, sometimes it's primal and sometimes it's not. Other than that I'm totally primal.

Anyway, I've started eating 9 eggs and about 150g of sardines each day. I put my daily food intake into FitDay and it says I'm getting 18.4 mcg of Vitamin B12 and 238.4 mcg of Selenium. That's 768% and 433% of the RDA, respectively. Virtually all of this is coming from the eggs and sardines. I didn't even include my dinner as I don't know the exact portion sizes, so I'm sure I'm getting even more from that.

My question is: should I worry about getting that much Vitamin B12 and Selenium on a regular basis?

B12 is water soluble and you should just urinate out excess. Selenium can be toxic, but at closer to 400 mcg per day. I had no idea you could get so much from eggs and sardines!

Selenium
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
      B12 is water soluble and you should just urinate out excess. Selenium can be toxic, but at closer to 400 mcg per day. I had no idea you could get so much from eggs and sardines!

Selenium
      If you are worried you could swap out some of your sardines for some canned salmon - it has half the selenium of sardines.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Thanks. I actually was eating canned salmon, but I switched to sardines as they are cheaper. I might switch back.

Comment

I read that 400mcg was set as a limit to balance nutrient intake and not as a toxic threshold. Wikepedia makes a reference to the safe upper limit being 15mcg per Kg of body weight. That gives me a safe upper limit of 1,610 mcg per day. This is somewhat comforting as I just checked my last three days on Fitday and spiked at 800+mcg over two days.

Comment

Working...
          X