what to eat when animals sound gross?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to eat when animals sound gross?

I'm sadly having food aversions right now (mean fetus and stuff) and the biggest category is animal protein, including eggs.

When it comes to animals right now the thing that sounds yummiest to me is crispy chicken skin. That's about it.

So do y'all have any suggestions for ways to get in enough protein/calories? I'm not too worried about fats since I can cook veggies in fats + add fats after cooking + add fats to raw veggies like EVOO-based salad dressing and such.

Protein shakes won't work - also developed a gag reflex for those.

I've been trying to get in a lot of full fat dairy for fat/calories/protein - milk, cottage cheese, butter, adding cream to stuff...

But any other suggestions or ideas? The problem I'm having is that even with adding fats, veggies+fat=not very many calories... and now that I'm getting hungrier it's just not cutting it anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

oh i ate some pepperoni today - and salami sounds fine too, but both of those are pretty highly processed and VERY salty so I don't want to rely on them too much.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Cottage cheese? You can do lots of things with it, I like to blend it smooth and make veggie dips or salad dressing with it etc.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

i have been eating it, just with salt on it... sometimes with fruit.

what sorts of veggie dips do you make with it? I never would've thought of that. hmm... then again i usually would just use sour cream and/or cream cheese for veggie dips (also high fat/protein, right?)

Comment

Can/do you eat ricotta cheese? Tomorrow night I'm going to experiment with a primal version of manicotti -- using cabbage leaves instead of pasta noodles. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cottage cheese has more protein than sourcream, so just replace the sourcream for blended cottage cheese.

I do a ranch type dip, I've done a spicy jalapeno one, french onion...

The more I see the less I know for sure.
            -John Lennon

Comment

amy normally ricotta would sound good to me but right now it doesn't ... do let me know how the manicotti turns out though! That sounds like a good idea and I'd like to eat it vicariously through you. hehe.

good to know lil_em. I hadn't compared the info but that makes sense.

Comment

One really good trick for cottage cheese is put it in a blender with frozen fruit. You end up with ice cream. Also, I've always liked cottage cheese mixed with lemon pepper seasoning. Cottage cheese blended with chives and various spices would make a good dip for veggies. That's why I've always liked cottage cheese. It can go savory or sweet. As far as Ricotta goes, ewww, to me it has NO flavor at all. What about Greek Yogurt? That stuff is pretty good on protein.

Carpe Diem!

Comment

i made some smoothie-type things and got sick of them VERY quickly - I've never been a huge ice cream girl, and when I do have it it's like...coffee flavor, not fruit flavors. bla. So the frozen fruit + cottage cheese doesn't sound good to me (though fresh fruit + cottage cheese, not blended = nice)

mmm lemon pepper. I love that on raw carrots. I bet it would rock in cottage cheese. Will try it.

Comment

tried making cottage cheese "pancakes"? mix with eggs and some almond flour, and fry. Sadly i dont have the proportions, i usually just go when i cook.

Hopefully things will work out for you!

Comment

what about soups? you could make cream-based soups with veggies - that should be plenty of calories...

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                      Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Deepthought that sounds interesting. Might try it though an idea of ratios would help even w/out measurements.

Soup- I'm making soup tonight. Yay. Bones in the crockpot making stock all night last night and all day today. Have veggies to add and cream and stuff. Hope it's good. I was gonna add chicken breast but it sounds gross. Might put it in for the hubs and try to eat some.

Comment

Would you be able to hide some shredded chicken in things? Like DR's squash fritters with shredded chicken mixed in with the squash?

Do you have enough energy now to make the coconut/energy bars again? Those things are calorie dense!

Oh what about custards? They require a lot of egg yolks, and you don't have to use a ton of (or any really) sugar if you have good cream. Or coconut milk like DR used! It would be a way to get in some egg protein in disguise at least.

How are you doing with bacon now? If you're feeling okay with it you could do jalapeno poppers with good cream cheese. I think I'm making those for the Super Bowl this weekend

You are what you eat,
                          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Oh FNW, I empathize with you. I'm feeling the same way. I forced myself to eat eggs and bacon for lunch and I can't believe how disgusted I felt by the bacon. The only food I feel like eating now is soup. Does seafood also feel gross to you (I know you said all animal protein)? I seem to be ok with shrimp. I like Hannah's suggestion of shredding chicken and hiding it in other foods. It's a good thing you are not averse to veggies. Brassica repulse me now. I would go with shredding/mincing meat really fine and using it in soups.

Comment

Daft question - are you "off" fish and seafood as well? Even white fish that aren't all that fishy?

As a last resort, if you get really concerned about protein, quinoa might be the lesser evil...

Comment

Working...
                              X