Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amenorrhea

Hopefully this is not a TMI post:

I have been on the Paleo/primal type diet for three months now and I love it! I have however not had my menstrual cycle in two months. I know that this can be a dangerous thing to mess with! Within a month of starting I lost 10 pounds. I run about 8-10 miles a day and am now tracking my calories to make sure I am getting 3k calories per day. I have not however slowed down on my running because #1 I love it! and #2 I do not want to gain too much weight or get out of shape! I am thin but very muscular so it is hard for me to say if I am too skinny but obviously have lost too much body fat. ANyone out there have similar issues? If I just increase my calories will my cycle return?Thanks!

are you still ovulating? it's possible to still be ovulating but not to menstruate. you can check your ovulation by tracking your temperature daily. if you're not ovulating, i'd suggest seeing a doctor

Comment

It's normal in winter. Once spring hits and you eat plenty of fresh fruit, expect it to come back. At least, that's how wild primates roll.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I don't know if I am ovulating! Good suggestion!

Comment

I'm assuming you've ruled out the possibility of having a bun (OK, Primal meatloaf) in the oven?

Comment

I would suggest upping your carb intake, depending on where it's at now. My partner had to do this when she was training for competitions.

Comment

My carbs are pretty high for paleo..225 g per day or so! I eat a lot of fruit, winter squash, beets..ect!

Comment

Excessive exercise and low body fat are the main things that cause amenorrhea if you're not pregnant, breastfeeding or menopausal.

8-10 miles a day sounds like A LOT to me and if you're losing weight you absolutely need more calories / fat / carbohydrates.

When your body is saying it cannot sustain another life, it's a sign you're not getting what you need either.

Comment

This happened to me when I was training for a half. I worked out hard for awhile there and ended up majorly overexercising. I was also keeping calories to 2000 a day, which I guess was too low. I have since stopped hard exercise (it has been 5 months) but I still don't have my cycle back...

I've tried increasing carbs, increasing protein, all kinds of stuff- still no luck. Now I'm just trying to eat good, primal food, listen to my body and hope things fall into place over time. I totally understand not wanting to cut back on running, but just make sure you are eating plenty and well.

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Thanks...I have read that we should be taking calcium supplements. I typically find supplements to be ridiculous but in this case perhaps. Amenorrhea can lead to osteoporosis. In regards to over running. I do not reall
                    y think that I am running too much. I think that I was not eating enough calories. I have been running 10 plus miles a day for a really long time without consequence. I just think the paleo in combination with running takes special care and awareness....I am aware now! Wow! The body is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by nettle1976 View Post
                      Thanks...I have read that we should be taking calcium supplements. I typically find supplements to be ridiculous but in this case perhaps. Amenorrhea can lead to osteoporosis. In regards to over running. I do not reall
                      y think that I am running too much. I think that I was not eating enough calories. I have been running 10 plus miles a day for a really long time without consequence. I just think the paleo in combination with running takes special care and awareness....I am aware now! Wow! The body is amazing!
                      I would definitely recommend listening to this Robb Wolf podcast from a couple weeks back. They talk about calcium supplementation and it's very interesting.

The Paleo Solution – Episode 112

Comment

hahaha..yes that would be the first and most obvious place to look. I am not pregnant!

Comment

Yes, in your boat! Keep me posted!

In the past year, I've only had a few periods. Most recently, I went four months without, then had one last month (yahoo), but it skipped again this time around. Like you, its makes me uncomfortable to consider that this is "wrong."

I, like you, don't really want to gain. I eat carbs too. I am also a runner; I also have high mileage since I do half marathons. I will not stop because I race and I love it. But, I also lost my period the first time around when I was doing no running and eating VLC, so the running isn't all at fault; now I'm running and doing normal-primal carbs (~150/day) plus a lot of social eating. The period's disappearance is a little strange methinks.

What do we do?

Comment

Originally posted by nettle1976 View Post
                            My carbs are pretty high for paleo..225 g per day or so! I eat a lot of fruit, winter squash, beets..ect!
                            The trainer she was working with told her that she should be having around 300g of carb on intense days *shrugs* She also had a letter on Robb Wolf's podcast where he suggested some additional supplements, but I can't recall what those were. In the end, she has only become regular because she cut back on training.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid View Post
                              Yes, in your boat! Keep me posted!

In the past year, I've only had a few periods. Most recently, I went four months without, then had one last month (yahoo), but it skipped again this time around. Like you, its makes me uncomfortable to consider that this is "wrong."

I, like you, don't really want to gain. I eat carbs too. I am also a runner; I also have high mileage since I do half marathons. I will not stop because I race and I love it. But, I also lost my period the first time around when I was doing no running and eating VLC, so the running isn't all at fault; now I'm running and doing normal-primal carbs (~150/day) plus a lot of social eating. The period's disappearance is a little strange methinks.

What do we do?
                              I will keep you posted..went and bought some calcium/magnesium supplements today. I am going to just try to make sure I get enough calories to hold my weight and see if it comes back. I do not want Osteoporosis! I do feel like I am healthy and look healthy too! Maybe, I will get a thermometer to at least make sure that I am ovulating and take it from there! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X