African Mango and Leptin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Mango and Leptin

A co-worker of mine showed me an article in First magazine by Dr. Oz. I used to like Dr. Oz until I became primal and realized all his stuff is just CW, but this one caught my attention because he mentioned leptin.

African Mango (Irvingia gabonensis) "enhances the activity of a hormone (leptin) that plays a crucial role in controlling appetite and optimizing metabolism. Leptin levels increase as fat stores increase. Too much leptin interferes with the brain cells' ability to receive the hormone's appetite suppressing signals. African Mango helps ease this hormone overload so the brain can receive slimming signals. Plus, it's high in antioxidants that soothe internal inflammation."

His recommendation is Life Extension IntegraLean Irvingia 150mg.

I haven't looked into any studies on this... any thoughts?

The effect of Irvingia gabonensis seeds on body weight and blood lipids of obese subjects in Cameroon

Comment

I am taking but don't really feel any difference.
      Any Other Primal Beings From Singapore?

Comment

hmm? well i spent a summer in kenya and i had my fair share of local mango variety, none of which were sweet like the mangoes here. i saw no major effect. i still ate candy when i had access to it. well i didn't eat a lot of regular food but that was also because too much local food --> too much time in bathroom.
        5'9", 31 yr old female
        SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
        CW 293
        2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

Comment

Interesting study ... but there's only about 3% difference in weight between the two groups after four weeks, so even if you could duplicate the results, it wouldn't exactly be a "major" effect. But I suppose that it could make a dramatic difference long term. However, I guess that right now a) those pills are quite expensive, and b) the possible side effects aren't yet explored, and if the stuff does interfere with your hormones then those might indeed exist. During the last century many drugs have been discovered which worked well for "magic" fat loss, but were then discovered to have massive side effects ...
          MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

And also, of course I'd like to see follow-up studies from other Universities that get published in peer-reviewed journals ... not to say that I generally don't trust Universities in Cameroon where the researchers have hotmail email addresses, but considering this page from a major manufacturer of the pills:

Irvingia: Understanding the Risks of Leptin Resistance - Life Extension

My skeptic sense is beginning to twitch.

Comment

Irvingia - Any data or info on this - BodyRecomposition Support Forums

"This doesn't mean that Oben's research is necessarily bogus, but can you tell me why an American corporation is having an obscure university in a poor West African country do all the research on their products, while simultaneously employing the lead researcher? Smells like bad fish to me."

My skeptic sense is going through the roof. ;-)

Comment

Haha... yes, I am a skeptic myself. When I saw that Dr. Oz was recommending it I was skeptical, but was surprised he talked about leptin.

Comment

I guess that these days leptin is the en vogue hormone to talk about - so whenever people can mesh it with their topics, they will.

Comment

i don't get it what is wrong with the African mango it is so effective for weight loss. i would like to read more about this.

Comment

Is it okay if I fry them in oil or add spices to them? I don't want to interfere with the juju....

Comment

like i said in another thread, an african mango supp advert i read the fine print on said to adopt a low carb diet while taking it

so

i think that's where the weight loss comes in
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
                          And also, of course I'd like to see follow-up studies from other Universities that get published in peer-reviewed journals ... not to say that I generally don't trust Universities in Cameroon where the researchers have hotmail email addresses, but considering this page from a major manufacturer of the pills:

Irvingia: Understanding the Risks of Leptin Resistance - Life Extension

My skeptic sense is beginning to twitch.
                          I actually had to write an article about African mango a few years ago (yeah, it's not new). Every single study I could find about it was from the University of Cameroon (export interests?) Most of them were led by the same guy.

Comment

Several years ago, there was a local 'health' show on TV here (NYC), and one of the regulars was an MD obesity researcher and clinician. He very excitedly reported on their leptin research, convinced it would be a breakthrough in weight management.
                            After several months, he reported that they'd determined that the body's leptin is not as easily 'manipulated' as they had assumed, and that it would be impossible to create any substance that would affect a person's leptin levels to modify weight. These were well-funded researchers in a major medical center focused on obesity 'solutions.' Yet they abandoned leptin research because of the way our bodies function.

From that time, 'leptin' has been bandied about as a 'significant' aspect of weight management--and that's true; it's significant. But, like a person's metabolism, it cannot be tinkered with to produce weight loss willy nilly. If the African Mango was so wonderful and produced such great results, someone would already be a millionaire from its production/marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                              Several years ago, there was a local 'health' show on TV here (NYC), and one of the regulars was an MD obesity researcher and clinician. He very excitedly reported on their leptin research, convinced it would be a breakthrough in weight management.
                              After several months, he reported that they'd determined that the body's leptin is not as easily 'manipulated' as they had assumed, and that it would be impossible to create any substance that would affect a person's leptin levels to modify weight. These were well-funded researchers in a major medical center focused on obesity 'solutions.' Yet they abandoned leptin research because of the way our bodies function.

From that time, 'leptin' has been bandied about as a 'significant' aspect of weight management--and that's true; it's significant. But, like a person's metabolism, it cannot be tinkered with to produce weight loss willy nilly. If the African Mango was so wonderful and produced such great results, someone would already be a millionaire from its production/marketing.
                              Bingo. I always say - the "cure" for obesity would be one of the most significant medical breakthroughs ever. If Pfizer and Astra Zeneca and Glaxo Smith-Kline haven't figured it out, (With the funding of a small nation), no penny-ante supplement company has it on lock.

If it ever comes, it will come from Big Pharma, be prescription-only, and cost a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                              X