Omega6:3 ratio ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega6:3 ratio ?

I would like a bit of advice please about the omega 6:3 ratio. Am I correct in thinking it should be 1:1 ?
    If so how do you all manage it ?
    Looking at paleotrack and fit day I don't seem to be anywhere near, despite eating eggs and oily fish everyday.
    I am taking fish oil supplements too but these are in the ration 1:1 so not really beneficial in bringing the omega 6 down !
    As I have weight to lose I am not eating nuts at the moment , so that rules out walnuts and flax seed.
    Thanks in advance for helping

well, where is your O6 coming from?

Comment

Well today's food so far
      3 eggs
      5 slices of bacon
      later for lunch a smoked mackerel
      So presumably from there , 5.7gms omega 6 and 1.5gms omega 3 so far , so the ratio is 3.7 :1

Comment

The evidence to support the importance of the omega3:6 ratio is seriously lacking. Multiple studies have suggested that replacing saturated fat with processed vegetable oils high in omega 6's reduce risk of heart attack. If the omega3:6 ratio was important studies would show the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by diving diva View Post
          Well today's food so far
          3 eggs
          5 slices of bacon
          later for lunch a smoked mackerel
          So presumably from there , 5.7gms omega 6 and 1.5gms omega 3 so far , so the ratio is 3.7 :1
          3.7: 1 is fabulous!! 4:1 is great! I would not stress over it you are doing fine! The average american is 14 - 25: 1
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
            3.7: 1 is fabulous!! 4:1 is great! I would not stress over it you are doing fine! The average american is 14 - 25: 1

+1
            4:1 is pretty optimal.
            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Maybe you'll have better luck than me, but I just got a blank stare from my doctor when I asked him if I could get my O3:O6 ratio tested. He told me to quit watching Dr. Oz

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                Maybe you'll have better luck than me, but I just got a blank stare from my doctor when I asked him if I could get my O3:O6 ratio tested. He told me to quit watching Dr. Oz
                Most doctors know close to nothing when it comes to nutrition. I think yours proved that point.
                People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by diving diva View Post
                  I would like a bit of advice please about the omega 6:3 ratio. Am I correct in thinking it should be 1:1 ?
                  If so how do you all manage it ?
                  Looking at paleotrack and fit day I don't seem to be anywhere near, despite eating eggs and oily fish everyday.
                  I am taking fish oil supplements too but these are in the ration 1:1 so not really beneficial in bringing the omega 6 down !
                  As I have weight to lose I am not eating nuts at the moment , so that rules out walnuts and flax seed.
                  Thanks in advance for helping
                  Hi,
                  Have you read this?
                  Initial thoughts from Ancestral Health Symposium at UCLA - Jack Kruse
                  It really helped me make sense of this ratio business.

-- Liane

Comment

I think people who say "1:1 ratio" are citing the sources that say "closer to 1:1 than most SAD eaters". Many plant foods have twice as much omega-6 as omega-3. Some are reversed. I wouldn't worry about the ratio too much if you're eating good food. Both are still essential fatty acids, you need them both.

Comment

Working...
                    X