Can't wrap my heat around metabolism and skipping meals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't wrap my heat around metabolism and skipping meals

I have read over and over again the information about how I have always been mislead about making sure I eat throughout the day and metabolism and what PB has to say about skipping meals. I just can't seem to get my brain to accept the PB way.

Its because the fats keep your body fueled for much longer (like a big fat log burning) but when we are running on the sugars (carbs) its like a piece of paper burning, so of course you have to eat more often to keep your body going.
    Trust me, PB won't ruin your metabolism, it will fix it

Comment

Is what you are doing now working for you? If not, try something different. You may be surprised to find out that there is a better way.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I found I wasn't ready to skip meals until about 5 months into eating paleo/primal.

My body is now frequently telling me it wants to skip meals, and I regularly eat only two meals on non-working days (today I ended a 19 hour fast with ease, following half an hour of yoga, half an hour of strength training and an hour of cardio interval training). This feels completely natural now... but would have been hard to imagine before, especially skipping breakfast.

That said I've been eating more carbs than recommended by PB for weight loss, so I'm sure this would have come sooner had I been following PB more strictly from the start.

So follow PB, and follow your appetite, not your brain!
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I agree, let your body heal and fill in the nutritional hole.
          My nutritional hole was so empty it took about a year for me to feel my body (or brain) naturally wanting to skip meals, it took a loooooong time!
          I also took in over 3000 calories a day the first 9 months or so and lost 20 lbs while literally stuffing my face with no end in sight, daily, every hour, all day long drinking full fat RAW milk and eating huge meals 3x a day + snacks. It was insane...but I still lost weight, it was odd.

Comment

This is a concept that CW has just gotten completely wrong... regardless of whether you eat PB or traditional Paleo, vegan, or whatever. The idea that your metabolism slows down and becomes "damaged" if you don't eat at least every three hours is completely and utterly false.

A simple way to think about it is to consider the evolutionary consequences of this mechanism in a prehistoric light. Could creatures have existed that needed to eat every three hours to maintain their health? Maybe, but I bet they are extinct, because that is a terrible genetic trait that would not be favored for natural selection.

Here is a study which finds that metabolic rate doesn't begin to significantly slow down until a fast reaches 60 hours:

Leucine, glucose, and energy metabolism after... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI

Here is a study which finds that blood sugar levels do not become low enough to significantly affect your mental state until a fast reaches at least 84 hours:

Leucine, glucose, and energy metabolism after... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI

The take away is that it really doesn't matter when you eat, and you should do what is comfortable. I am inclined to do a daily morning fast because I never liked breakfast much anyway, and I like to EAT when I do. Most people find comfort in the 2-3 meals a day, range. The actual potential benefits of intermittent fasting is still a very new field of research, but is it bad for you? No. Not in the slightest.
            Last edited by primal pete; 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration -- Stewart and Fleming 49 (569): 203 -- Postgraduate Medical Journal

"Man fasted for 382 days, lost 275 lbs of fat, suffered no ill effects"

still afraid to skip a meal?

Comment

Originally posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
                Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration -- Stewart and Fleming 49 (569): 203 -- Postgraduate Medical Journal

Wow.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post

The American public has been brainwashed~ they throw around *facts* like 'you must feed your metabolism or you will ruin it' and 'you must keep your blood sugars stable or your brain won't be fed' ~ please my longest fast was 10 days, water only. And my metabolism is just fine. If our caveman ancestors couldn't adapt to food shortages, we wouldn't be here.

Comment

I suspect that any evidence about burning less fat or whatever from skipping meals (if there is any) came from studies of people who were hungry and didn't eat. Like all the teen girls who skipped breakfast.

Comment

metabolism doesn't go up and down like a roller coaster; it's pretty stable over time. it is not such a fragile thing.

Comment

The metabolism thing is some crazy myth. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but due to my schedule I would randomly end up fasting 14-18 hours 4 or 5 days of the week. I gained muscle, lost fat, felt amazing too. My head is much clearer and I feel more energetic if I eat 2 meals in an 8 hour window. Forget the nonsense about keeping your body buring food. I was eating a paleo/primal type diet (no more than 150g of carbs per day)
                        We are not cows/horses that need to graze all day, just compare the digestive system and size/purpose of the animal!
                        People who eat the SAD and skip meals are more likely to have problems because they are carb burners and therefore constantly need that source of energy.

Unless you've done damage through years of dieting and changes, there is no reason that skipping a meal here and there will hurt you. It might even help you. If you are physically hungry...eat! If you suspect you have damage, do the leptin reset.

Comment

Originally posted by primal pete View Post
                          A simple way to think about it is to consider the evolutionary consequences of this mechanism in a prehistoric light. Could creatures have existed that needed to eat every three hours to maintain their health? Maybe, but I bet they are extinct, because that is a terrible genetic trait that would not be favored for natural selection.
                          Exactly. "Skipping meals" is the wrong way to think about it. The whole concept of "mealtime" is brand-new, evolutionarily speaking. For the longest, longest time, we ate what we could find or kill, when we could find or kill it. If it's bad for us to listen to our bodies instead of looking at the clock, how are any of us even here?

Comment

Originally posted by evertastica View Post
                            Unless you've done damage through years of dieting and changes, there is no reason that skipping a meal here and there will hurt you. It might even help you. If you are physically hungry...eat! If you suspect you have damage, do the leptin reset.
                            So how do you know if there is damage?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I started Atkins in February of 2010 and recently have been introduced to PB by a friend. While during atkins, I lost 25 lbs which is right in the middle to top of the weight suggested for my height. I would say that most of my eating was very close to what is said on PB but now I have changed to make it more so--I just needed to make a few small changes to get it in line.

Comment

Whoops! Just saw about the damage and the leptin reset. I have looked that up, but so far, I am losing weight, so I do not think that I am going to do the leptin reset yet. I don't crave carbs (well sometimes--salty potato chips are about it), I did gain some weight back when I "fell off the horse" earlier but I am losing again. Hopefully this means that I do not need to do the leptin reset.

Comment

Working...
                              X