Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need to Live Off Of Super-Walmart Food for a Week! Help :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need to Live Off Of Super-Walmart Food for a Week! Help :)

I'm going to Cancun next week for 7 days. I'm going to have a little time-share apartment with a condo, a rental car, and I'll be driving distance from a Super-Walmart. I'm so used to living off of my local meats/eggs and veggies. What do I buy there? Should I still eat the eggs? I do NOT want to spend the whole week cooking, but I do want to maintain some semblance of healthy eating. Thanks

You can eat all the same foods your used to. I'd just grab a bottle of fish oil to balance out your 3's and 6's... and stick to leaner meats. Eggs won't taste as good but you're only eating them for a few days.

Comment

So you think one of the bags of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts would be a reasonable purchase? I get a little freaked out when I start thinking about factory farmed meats.

Comment

You will have to dig around the meat section to see if you can find anything that is un-enhanced. At least in the states almost all their meats contain a 'salt solution' of sorts. Some of the frozen stuff is not bad, like the cornish hens, but sometimes the food selection is regional based so will have to see what Cancun offers. But really for 7 days it won't be a big deal. You might check out some of the canned/pouched fish or things like that.

You might be able to find a local market to pick up some veggies and maybe some eggs. I have heard Mercado 23 might be an option (not 28). Although I am not sure about safety or where your staying....but just a thought.

Last time I was on vacation we hit up a local small grocery store and bought a couple whole chickens, roasted them on the grill outside, and then used that for a lot of meals....cold while sitting on the beach, heated up for dinner, chicken salad with cucumber rounds and celery, etc. Another thing we did was buy extra when we found a good spot, like we usually found some outdoor joints that grilled up fresh fish or meats for a good price.

Ahhh, I could use a beach vacation......... Have fun!!
        Erin
        Daily Vlogs
        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Primal isn't a religion. Go enjoy your vacation, eat out a lot and enjoy the amazing fresh fish that's everywhere. Drink only Norcal Margaritas, stay away from flour tortillas and relax.

Comment

One time I had to eat supermarket food for a week and I developed diabetes and also heart disease and a little cancer, too.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I totally get what you're saying Katie, but in the past I've come home from vacations feeling pretty wrecked and I'm trying to strike a balance this time. I want to come home feeling healthy and refreshed. Not to say I won't enjoy a few pina coladas and a little Mexican food.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                One time I had to eat supermarket food for a week and I developed diabetes and also heart disease and a little cancer, too.
                i heart you just a little bit

the food won't be as good, but there are fresh and frozen veggies. i get the frozen chicken breasts because i'm super minimalist unless i'm in the mood to COOK. the cheap eggs suck ass. there are no ifs ands or buts about that, they are sulfery and gross. egglands best are slightly less gross, but still gross. if there are any 'great day' brand eggs, those will taste much better
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

I'd hit up the tuna fish and canned salmon aisle; sardines, anchovies, etc.

Jar of olives, some raw or dry roasted nuts, fresh fruit + veggies, almond butter, Eggland Best eggs (I like 'em), canned coconut milk, and maybe a bag of frozen shrimp or something. Being so close to the water, I would try to find a local fish market and a farmer's market! They have to have something like that. Me... I'd just drink a pina colada and eat horrible stuff until I went home. I always lose weight on vacay; so much walking and exploring. It works out.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by CaveMama View Post
                    So you think one of the bags of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts would be a reasonable purchase? I get a little freaked out when I start thinking about factory farmed meats.
                    Nearly the entire population of America lives well into their 70's and 80's eating factory farmed meats, especially chicken breast. It's not going to hurt you in the least bit. I happily buy all factory farmed meats with my only requirement being "minimally processed". The very minor health benefits of free range meats vs factory farmed meats don't even come close to justifying a 400% price increase to me. The day I pay $12.99/lb for a hunk of chuck roast is the day I give up Primal for an all-pasta diet because eating confinement-raised animals is far more ethical than paying that ridiculous markup. As mentioned before, make sure it says "minimally processed" as some pre-packaged meats are injected with solutions of salt water and sugar to "pump them up" and make them juicier. Many pre-packaged chicken breasts say "contains up to 15% saline and sugar solution". If you see that it's "minimally processed" you should be fine. Read, read, read. But minimally processed CAFO is just fine in nearly all cases.
                    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I understand the desire to stay primal while on vacation - I feel too crappy when I eat out all the time so it ruins the vacation for me. Just keep in mind, when you are in restaurants you are most likely eating factory farmed meats as well. So cooking at home with Walmart chicken is still better - at least you are avoiding the crappy oils.

When I vacation I try to have 1-2 primal meals per day and then one meal where I eat what I want. Sometimes it's primal - sometimes not, but either way the next meal is primal.

Remember the saying "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". Make decent choices with what you have and have a good time
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        Nearly the entire population of America lives well into their 70's and 80's eating factory farmed meats, especially chicken breast. It's not going to hurt you in the least bit. I happily buy all factory farmed meats with my only requirement being "minimally processed".
                        That may be, but not many of those people are healthy. They are kept alive through medical intervention. Many of them are homebound or live in nursing homes. I'm not saying the factory meat caused it, but the state of the elderly in this country is not a good goal post in my opinion.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          That may be, but not many of those people are healthy. They are kept alive through medical intervention. Many of them are homebound or live in nursing homes. I'm not saying the factory meat caused it, but the state of the elderly in this country is not a good goal post in my opinion.
                          Plenty of those people are healthy. I have plenty of people in my own family that live well into their 80's and 90's with no medication at all and they don't buy anything pastured. It's not CAFO meat that's killing people. It's mostly industrial seed oils. That is by far the #1 culprit of disease. After that, the biggest problems are refined, isolated sugars - sucrose, HFCS, pasteurized honey, agave syrup...you get the picture. After that, grains bring up #3 on the list. Any minor nutritional deficiencies from CAFO meats are so incredibly far down the line it's not even worth stressing.

Obviously, if you have a chest freezer and you can get a great deal on a cow, by all means buy it. It's a better quality meat, you're supporting local farmers and there will be minor nutritional advantages. If you can't find an awesome deal, I don't see any point in buying it. Have you actually looked at the nutritional differences in grass fed beef vs grain fed beef? Yes, grass fed beef has more omega 3 and more CLA. Yes, it's more "ethical", if you will. But the amount of omega 3 you're missing out in by eating grain fed beef can be balanced by 1-2 fish oil pills in a week. The differences are strikingly low. The only things I buy pastured is butter and when I visit my parents I'll pick up local eggs. Those are the ONLY two things I have found a huge difference in pastured vs CAFO - eggs and butter - and they're not that much more expensive, making it worth it. Aside from that, enjoy the Walmart chicken and the tons of money you'll be saving.

One thing I will stress, though: I ALWAYS buy wild-caught fish. The difference is $1-2/lb and there is actually a big difference in wild vs farmed fish for nutrition and toxin level. However, with chicken, pork and beef? Not so much. Shrimp, clams and oysters don't matter farmed vs wild, though. The nutrition is the same since the environment and feed doesn't change.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-01-2012, 11:40 PM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Plenty of those people are healthy. I have plenty of people in my own family that live well into their 80's and 90's with no medication at all and they don't buy anything pastured. It's not CAFO meat that's killing people. It's mostly industrial seed oils. That is by far the #1 culprit of disease. After that, the biggest problems are refined, isolated sugars - sucrose, HFCS, pasteurized honey, agave syrup...you get the picture. After that, grains bring up #3 on the list. Any minor nutritional deficiencies from CAFO meats are so incredibly far down the line it's not even worth stressing.

Obviously, if you have a chest freezer and you can get a great deal on a cow, by all means buy it. It's a better quality meat, you're supporting local farmers and there will be minor nutritional advantages. If you can't find an awesome deal, I don't see any point in buying it. Have you actually looked at the nutritional differences in grass fed beef vs grain fed beef? Yes, grass fed beef has more omega 3 and more CLA. Yes, it's more "ethical", if you will. But the amount of omega 3 you're missing out in by eating grain fed beef can be balanced by 1-2 fish oil pills in a week. The differences are strikingly low. The only things I buy pastured is butter and when I visit my parents I'll pick up local eggs. Those are the ONLY two things I have found a huge difference in pastured vs CAFO - eggs and butter - and they're not that much expensive, making it worth it. Aside from that, enjoy the Walmart chicken and the tons of money you'll be saving.
                            I don't disagree with any of this I buy pastured meats for the ethical reasons, not the health benefits.

I was just pointing out that the elderly in the US frequently look like crap and they should not be used as an example of how to eat. Of course I know healthy elderly as well - but the majority are not that way. They eat oils, grains, and HFCS - although less than those of us that were raised on it - and still live to be old. The nutrition they got as young children probably included much less crap and the meats simply were not raised the same way then. Perhaps they are getting by because of that.

Comment

Oh I agree with you 100%. I just don't believe CAFO meats have anything to do with the health problems in this country. Believe me, if I could get pastured meats for a reasonable price, I would. I would MUCH rather support local farmers, particularly for the ethical reasons, and the better quality meat is definitely a plus. However, I'm 25, I live in an apartment, I don't have room for a chest freezer if I wanted one, there are no farms nearby since I live in Philly and the cheapest cuts of grass fed beef are $13+/lb at Whole Foods. In other words, I couldn't care less about grass fed beef at this point. If I had a house, a chest freezer and a local source for <$5/lb, I'd be all over it, but to be scared about going on vacation because you don't want to eat CAFO meat is vegan-level-ridiculous IMO. CAFO meat is harmless to your health in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X