Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Primal eating grow muscle without exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Primal eating grow muscle without exercise?

I am severely overweight and too broken to do anything more than walk and basic strength exercises at the moment. I am curious if eating a primal diet could grow my muscles so that I can tell a difference in my body makeup. Or is doing an exercise that targets muscle growth required?

This question is motivated by a sense that my muscles are feeling firmer in my arms and legs, similar to how I felt back in the day when I lifted weights. I have started exercising yet, and I have in fact avoided any unnecessary exertion due to a strained knee tendon. Since I started eating primal almost a month ago, I have definitely increased my consumption of protein.

Thanks for the response!
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

Yes, I was skinny fat (or rather chubby fat =P) and had no muscle whatsoever.
    I was too weak to even do push-ups against the wall...it was pathetic. Once I started primal I grew muscle strength and size (just a tad since I'm female). I'm sporting a really nice bi-cept even though I've never lifted a thing, well other than my bag of bones and the giant pot filled with bone broth

Comment

Yes, I found the same result as you when I started eating primal. My muscles appeared more defined, like they had been when I used to work out at the gym, without any exercise at all!
      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

You people never cease to amaze me. You will go to any length to improve your diets - but a little exercise every now and then is off the table.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
        Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

To a small extent, yes. But you're going to have to hit the iron to see continual progress.
          Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

i dont think its physically possible to gain muscle by simply eating protein, thats not how the body works

whats probably more likely going on is you are losing body fat and starting to notice existing muscle that is already there
            Primal Chaos
            37yo 6'5"
            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
            current 338lbs 49" waist
            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Unless you have a set amount of muscle mass that your genetics prefers to have you at, but your diet had been inhibiting that gene expression.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Yeah, as long as you eat well and primal, and do some walking, you will see MASSIVE improvement. Do that first and then gently nudge yourself towards more vigorous exercise/weight lifting.

You will be fine. Have fun

ps i would recommend looking at this site, and specifically reading this post
                Archevore - Archevore Blog - Exercise in the PaNu*scheme

Comment

You are walking and doing some basic strength exercises so you are working out. Just try to keep progressing.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

As you lose fat you'll see muscle that you already had become more visible, and your muscles will feel less jiggly because you'll also lose some intramuscular fat, but new muscle growth comes from activity. So you will see a shift in body composition from diet and may look more muscular because of lower body fat, but you're not going to gain significant muscle mass through protein consumption alone.

Seriously, people, PB is a set of 10 laws, only two of which refer to diet. No matter how strict you are about food, if you're skipping out on the others, you're nowhere near 100% or even 80% primal. If you want to be on a caveman diet, go on a caveman diet, but good health requires more than just cutting out the grains/legumes/sugar.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

progress is good tho...switching the mind set...

Start Date/Weight: December 6, 2011 - 203 lbs

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments. Maybe it is just fat moving around but I do seem more aware of the muscles.

I have been doing exercises to strengthen my thigh muscles and core, since my knees are jacked and I have lower back pain, neck pain, and shoulder pain. I have an exercise ball and from it I will start exercises to strength my core and upper body, like push ups. My orthopedist also instructed me to do squats for my knees BUT OH THE PAIN.
                        5'9", 31 yr old female
                        CW 293
                        2nd GW 270

Comment

I think that in the beginning it is just fine to only do the move slowly part of the exercise. As your weight drops from the diet, you will naturally feel more desire to move. If you can do some water exercises that may help take the pressure off your knees and keep you moving for now. As far as exercise, I lost all the weight I wanted to just by eating primally and walking about an hour a day plus longer hikes on the weekend too.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by afroette View Post
                            My orthopedist also instructed me to do squats for my knees BUT OH THE PAIN.
                            Have someone check your form your knees may be coming too far over your toes. You could also try static squats against a wall.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                              Have someone check your form your knees may be coming too far over your toes. You could also try static squats against a wall.
                              Oo, thanks for the tip! I am going to try the wall because using a chair doesn't make that much of a difference. I'll also be more mindful of my knees. I used to do squats in a weight lifting class but only using a machine called hack squat(?) and that hurt my knees too!
                              5'9", 31 yr old female
                              CW 293
                              2nd GW 270

Comment

Working...
                              X