This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
    Magnesium is supposed to help with sleep, correct?

Grizz - what dosages on those recommended lists? I ask because my multi has the iodine for example, but in extremely low doses.
    ...and with muscle twitches/muscle cramps & it builds stronger bones (since it balances calcium) if you have sufficient k2 + d3.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
      I agree except for the Vitamin K. If your eating your veggies your probably getting enough. But Vitamin D and Iodine are definitely the top 2.
      ... if you have good gut health and sufficient beneficial bacteria.
      Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
        I will note an odd reaction I had with iodine. I started supplementing iodine back in April per PHD, and very regularly had swollen glands in the neck and a bit higher pitched / hoarse voice. I would regularly cut back but any amount tended to cause issues. The breakthrough came when, for other reasons, I stopped brushing with flouride toothpaste - all issues went away and I was able to progress better with my iodine supplements to great effect. Even my TSH which was starting to trend high (was reaching 3.5) came back down to something normal like 1.8.

Anyone else have a similar situation when dealing with flouride toothpaste?
        I quit fluoride toothpaste after getting hashimoto's (should have done it earlier instead). I do use fluoride toothpaste about once a week, but usually I rotate between plain baking soda, a fluoride free tooth paste (solidox) or this tooth powder (my favourite):
        Eco-Dent, Daily Care, Baking Soda Toothpowder, Original Mint, 2 oz (56 g) - iHerb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
          Here is input that not everyone has detox symptoms, and you are lucky to not experience them. I am experiencing a bit of what looks like bromide acne now in addition to the bromaderma (rash) I was already combating. Salt flushes and in order but hard for me to knock out during my work schedule. I've never had an allergic-type reaction to anything before, and believed a lot of detox stuff was complete bunk most of my life. This, however, is beginning to make me question those previous beliefs.

There are so many variables between individuals, dosages, and delivery of iodine, that it's difficult to say what a person's outcome will be like as they add more iodine in their diet. I started back with 3 vertical drops of Lugol's 2% once a day, and am now up to 4 drops, continuing gradually. I wonder if the tablets don't absorb as well? Or if you're one of the lucky ones who won't have any detox symptoms.
          I had acne + clay-like stools a couple of days on 12 vertical drops of 2%... Now I'm experiencing dry lips, dry/tired eyes and more dryish skin. That may be due to the cold weather spell here i Norway, but it may also be symptomatic of loss of b2 (are getting supplements today). Dr. Brownstein recommends b2 + b3 in addition to selenium & vit. c + salt loading. In the meantime I've backed down to 9 drops.

Comment

Measuring our Iodine Health by Dr. Ken O'Neal

Iodine Patch Test
            This is Dr. Ken O'Neal with an episode of "TLC" ... Teaching, Learning, and Caring for your health ...

I’m now going to demonstrate how you can test yourself for whether you have enough iodine in your body or not, it’s called the “iodine patch test” … you simply take a bottle of Lugol’s iodine, or another form of iodine, put some of it on your skin … let it absorb into your skin … in the area of about one-inch square is sufficient, of course, we let it dry, we can see the reddish-brown color of the iodine.

How to interpret the results of the test are: if all of this color is absorbed through your skin into the body in less then eight hours, you have a very severe deficiency of iodine in your body; eight to sixteen hours, you have a moderate deficiency; sixteen to twenty-four hours, you have a slight to moderate deficiency. Only if it takes twenty-four hours or more for this to slowly fade away, does it indicate that you have enough iodine in your body, …which, according to Dr. Guy Abraham, is 1500 milligrams total quantity of iodine in a full-saturated iodine patient.

This is a simple way, and although it is easy to do, it apparently correlates very well with the much more scientific, medical, and technical way of testing for iodine, which is to take a loading dose and check a 24-hour urine [sample] to see how much of it you’ve dumped out of your body, …the rest of it, presumably, having been absorbed into your tissues. This is an easy way … you can do this test every one to two weeks, as you’re trying to do your loading on the Lugol’s iodine, as outlined by Dr. Guy Abraham, M.D..
            MUCH MORE here:
            Iodine Replacement Therapy

I'm now experienced at using the Skin Patch Test, and it DOES work just as described here.
            1) It is important to use Lugols Iodine. I used 5% That works extremely well. (available at Amazon )
            2) My 1st skin test was GONE in less than 3 minutes ! Yeeks !
            3) Now 1 month after taking iodine supplements
            - - - 3 weeks at 1 mg Norwegian Kelp
            - - - 1 week at 2 mg Norwegian Kelp
            It now takes about 3 hours for the skin patch to disappear. I am still grossly iodine deficient, but not as bad as I was

Yesterday I started iodoral 12 mg available at Amazon.Com. My plan is to stay on 12 mg until I pass the iodine skin test, then drop back to 1 mg daily. It has been said that it will take about 1 year to fill the body iodine reserves at 12 mg daily.

My insomnia problems are now history AND I am now enjoying continuing improvements in my prostate function. YAY ! Urine stream is getting stronger by the day. Forget about Saw Palmetto and other worthless supplements. Iodine is the way to go! Iodine also prevents prostate cancers.

Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the patch test works using that iodine you buy for wounds.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                1) It is important to use Lugols Iodine. That works extremely well. (available at Amazon )
                Grizz,

My apologies if this was covered elsewhere - but are you using the 2% or 5% lugols Iodine for the patch test?

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I wonder if the patch test works using that iodine you buy for wounds.
                  Not comparable results because that iodine contains alcohol...

Comment

Originally posted by otaku30 View Post
                    Grizz,

My apologies if this was covered elsewhere - but are you using the 2% or 5% lugols Iodine for the patch test?
                    Otaku,
                    I'm using the 5% Lugols iodine. I chose that one because it is better when my iodoral supplement runs out.

Best of health to all,
                    Grizz

Comment

• Grizz, beware, suddenly going to 12mg from 2mg can also cause your glands to enlarge and possibly go into hypo or was it hyper? Its a real shock to the thyroid. Paul Jaminet recommends doubling the dose every month or so providing there are no reactions, until one reaches 12 or so.

Thus, it might take a year at 12mg (source again?) but it could even take a year to reach safely taking 12mg daily.

Comment

• wabbit,

thanks for the caution. I'm watching myself carefully. If I see any reactions to 12 mg, I'll immediately drop back to 2 mg. I think the phobia about iodine is way overdone. Those who have thyroid issues ( not me ) do need to go very slowly under a doctors care.

Every cell in the body needs iodine, especially organs such as brain, prostate, & female organs. Whatever the body does not use goes out in the urine, as proven by the iodine loading test described in my earlier post. IMO, so bottom line if we are relatively healthy and without thyoid problems, there should not be any problems with 12 mg iodoral pills.

I'll keep everyone informed of progress with a weekly update.

Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 01-28-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Exciting news! 1st reaction to the higher dosage of iodine (12mg iodoral) was rather immediate, and worth celebrating !

For the 1st time in DECADES I have slept all night long without getting up in the middle of the night to pee. YAY. The improvements to my prostate have just taken a dramatic turn for the best.

At this point I should do a recap of progress with Iodine.
                          ====================================
                          I got my first hint about the need for iodine from Dr. Kruse in this link, paragraph 7
                          http://jackkruse.com/what-are-the-to...o-supplements/
                          Dr. Kruse is my HERO for this post !
                          Dr. Kruse later clarified his position, to take 3 servings a week of seaweed.

We had dried seaweed collecting dust in our pantry for years. So we used it up over 2 days in seaweed soup.
                          http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/korean-...up/detail.aspx
                          The results were immediate. Years of insomnia disappeared overnight !

Then by another miracle, my HERO # 2, Dr. Davis put this great article on his blog, "Thyroid Tuneup"
                          http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/1...-up-checklist/
                          So I immediately ordered Norwegian Kelp tablets from Amazion and started taking 1 mg/day
                          Again the results were immediate. My sleep improved even more and I even began to have DREAMS. Prior to taking iodine, I could not remember having any dreams at all. So this proved my brain was needing iodine.

I was having such fantastic results from 1 mg Norwegian Kelp that I decided to up the dosage to 2 mg after 3 weeks on 1 mg. Once again, the results were immediate. Where I used to get up 2 or even 3 times a night to pee, now I was only getting up one time. AMAZING ! Also during this time I was searching the net for everything I could find about iodine. Thus I felt convinced that the iodoral 12 mg iodine supplement might offer additional improvements. And yet again the results were immediate. For the first time in DECADES, I slept like a log all night & did not get up to pee !
                          There is a great deal of information on Google, search Prostate Iodine for more. Also for the ladies, search Female Problems iodine

Iodine prevents prostate cancer and cancer of the female organs !
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2gvI...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uhNIKaid0w

At this time, I have to call iodine the MIRACLE supplement !
                          ( Everyone should read the cautions in the links to Dr. Kruse & Dr. Davis, above )

Grizz
                          Last edited by Grizz; 01-28-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Ohhh Myyyy Gawwwd !

Medical scanning dye can cause irreversible thyroid problems ! See THIS!
                            A new study has found that iodine-based radiographic dye that doctors use to increase contrast during medical scans can damage the thyroid gland in some patients.
                            Medical scan dye may damage the thyroid gland, cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism | InjuryBoard New York City

Grizz

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                              Ohhh Myyyy Gawwwd !

Medical scanning dye can cause irreversible thyroid problems ! See THIS!

Medical scan dye may damage the thyroid gland, cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism | InjuryBoard New York City

Grizz
                              HA! I'm allergic to it... once the docs find out I've had an anaphylactic reaction to that stuff they won't touch me with it.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by lopisheep View Post
                                We only need small bits of iodine, but good sources (primal) that I can think of are sea vegetables, cranberries, strawberries, Himalayan crystal salt, salt water fish, grass fed butter, bacon, eggs, liver, and grass fed meat:-)
                                I Googled "strawberries and iodine", and I found this:
                                Strawberries
                                Strawberries are one of the few fruits that contains high amounts of iodine. A cup of strawberries contains 12.96 mcg of iodine or 8.6% of the RDA.

I don't consider 13 mcg. per cup to be high iodine.

Also, some strawberry fields are fumigated with methyl bromide. It's done before the plants are put in, but surely some compounds of it are taken up by the plants? Also, one of those videos I've been watching about iodine says that even organic fruits and vegetables raised with Colorado River water are high in bromine, because the drainage from fields where bromine has been used is in the irrigation water.

I think kelp is a much better source of iodine, and I don't think I'll eat strawberries unless they are locally grown.

Comment

Working...
                                X