buzz,

IMO the most important supplements that you can take are:
    * Vitamin D3
    * Iodine or else a lot of sea veggies such as kelp
    * Vitamin K2
    * A good multi-vitamin.

Best of health to you,
    Grizz
    Don't forget magnesium. That's one almost everyone is missing, and I can't believe how much it has helped me.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      It would be nice if they could agree on healthy cholesterol levels, too.
      +1
      Buzz71
      Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
      Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
      Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
      My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
        Don't forget magnesium. That's one almost everyone is missing, and I can't believe how much it has helped me.
        Magnesium is supposed to help with sleep, correct?

Grizz - what dosages on those recommended lists? I ask because my multi has the iodine for example, but in extremely low doses.
        Buzz71
        Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
        Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
        Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
        My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
          It helps with sleep (and pooping - yea!) but I take it because I used to get 3-day long migraines 2 or 3 times a month. Do the math - that means about 20-30% of my life was spent in pain with nausea and visual problems. And I look at shiny things in the sun for a living. Now I get them maybe once every couple of months, and it's usually when I forget to take the the magnesium for a couple of days.

Oh, and I should be getting my Iodine either today or tomorrow!
          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
            buzz,

IMO the most important supplements that you can take are:
            * Vitamin D3
            * Iodine or else a lot of sea veggies such as kelp
            * Vitamin K2
            * A good multi-vitamin.

Best of health to you,
            Grizz
            I agree except for the Vitamin K. If your eating your veggies your probably getting enough. But Vitamin D and Iodine are definitely the top 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post

Grizz - what dosages on those recommended lists? I ask because my multi has the iodine for example, but in extremely low doses.
              Buzz,
              You ask tough questions. No 2 doctors can even agree on dosages for vitamins. My best answer is to get all of our micronutrients from food including iodine. See this truly amazing video by Dr. Terry Wahl for OPTIMAL nutrition. She cured her own Multiple Sclerosis with proper nutrition.
              TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

That leaves Vitamin D which requires direct skin exposure to sunshine. If you rarely get sun exposure, then you need supplements. My best research says that most folks need 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 geltabs made with olive oil ( not soy oil) then do your blood test after 3 months. Your blood test should be between 70 and 100 ng/ml. If outside that range, adjust dosage such that 1,000 IU change in dosage changes the blood reading by 10 ng/ml.

Here is the problem as I see it. Doctors prescribe expensive drugs to treat symptoms. They don't prescribe supplements to prevent disease. There is NO MONEY to be made preventing disease! The medical & drug business is out to maximize profits and this means disease prevention sucks hind tit.

Best of health to all,
              Grizz

Comment

K2 is not available from plant foods -- only from bacterial fermentation (MK-7 +) and from certain animal foods (MK-4) mainly organs, glands, and reproductive organs (eggs included).
                Primal food in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
                  I agree except for the Vitamin K. If your eating your veggies your probably getting enough. But Vitamin D and Iodine are definitely the top 2.
                  You can't get K2 from veggies. You are thinking of K which is very different from K2. The only vegetable sources of K2 are fermented soy in the form of natto and other microbial sources. Otherwise it can only be gained from animal sources. K2 is critical for bone and teeth development, and keeping arteries/heart clear of calcium deposits.

Comment

I will note an odd reaction I had with iodine. I started supplementing iodine back in April per PHD, and very regularly had swollen glands in the neck and a bit higher pitched / hoarse voice. I would regularly cut back but any amount tended to cause issues. The breakthrough came when, for other reasons, I stopped brushing with flouride toothpaste - all issues went away and I was able to progress better with my iodine supplements to great effect. Even my TSH which was starting to trend high (was reaching 3.5) came back down to something normal like 1.8.

Anyone else have a similar situation when dealing with flouride toothpaste?

Comment

I stopped using floride toothpaste a few months back when I realized it would interfere with iodine. I had a small sore above my upper lip that immediately went away when I stopped the floride toothpaste. Could have been the other brand of toothpaste and not the floride irritating it. I remember reading that iodine is needed for proper cell death so cells filled with other halogens instead may cause various cancers (they don't know to die).

One of the things I love about this site and being paleo/primal is it allows me to experiment with my best lab rat - me.

Comment

I stopped brushing with flouride toothpaste - all issues went away and I was able to progress better with my iodine supplements to great effect. ...
                        wabbit,

WOW ! Thanks for that ! I had no idea that toothpaste would have that big of an impact ! I have to look at my toothpaste ASAP.

BTW) I just found my favorite docs recommendation for iodine:
                        This is Dr. Kruse recommendation for iodine:
                        7. Minerals Selenium, Iodine, and Iron: This threesome are critical for thyroid function. The most common clinical scenario I see is thyroid dysfunction...... I always ask my patients to eat shrimp twice a week for the first 6 months or to supplement with a kelp pill every third day. That seems to do the trick for most people. Iodine 200-300 mcgs every other day if you eat seafood once a week.
                        WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? - Jack Kruse
                        So dr. Kruse seems to favor a lower dose from real foods.
                        He adds, "I (also) eat seaweed three times a week Grizz.........get your minerals from food!!!!! "
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post695969
                        So this clearly means a higher dosage of iodine. How much higher? What is the target in mg/day? I don't know.
                        So there we have it, another professional recommendation.

PS)
                        YEEKS ! I just looked at our toothpaste and it has FLUORIDE in it !

Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                          wabbit,

WOW ! Thanks for that ! I had no idea that toothpaste would have that big of an impact ! I have to look at my toothpaste ASAP.
                          Remember this is N=1, I am still half skeptical of a relationship, but also skeptical its just a coincidence. But it was near instantaneous effect - my voice hadn't been able to do low timbres for months and I hadn't been able to increase iodine dosages beyond 3mg for months - and splitting iodoral into 3mg (or less) chunks was a major PITA!!!! It was a serious quality of life improvement just to break the suckers in half and I am now up to fulls

I felt it safe to stop flouride toothpaste because I was taking large amounts of K2, D, and A. And wanted to experiment up to my next dental checkup. Also note the latest Free the Animal posting by Nikoley that better explains that I could : Vitamin K2, Menatetrenone, Activator X or Whatever...It's Amazing | Free The Animal

(BTW I didn't merely stop using flouride toothpaste, but stopped toothpaste altogether. I do use a sonicare brush without toothpaste to keep surfaces clean of tartar which I still get to some extent but without observed calculus buildup. Odd thing about sonicare - when it first came out 10-12 years ago they recommended using it without toothpaste, now they no longer have that recommendation and I can find no reference to the original recommendation and why they felt it was ok, but I remembered that and still felt it was a better way to clean if I wasn't going to use toothpaste).
                          Last edited by wildwabbit; 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

My son spent the first 4 years of his life without any fluoride. We used spring water and he brushed without toothpaste. He's 15 now, never had a cavity. I don't believe in fluoride.

Comment

We only need small bits of iodine, but good sources (primal) that I can think of are sea vegetables, cranberries, strawberries, Himalayan crystal salt, salt water fish, grass fed butter, bacon, eggs, liver, and grass fed meat:-)

Comment

Originally from Grizz:

Common symptoms include:
                                Fatigue
                                Depression
                                Modest weight gain
                                Cold intolerance
                                Excessive sleepiness
                                Dry, coarse hair
                                Constipation
                                Dry skin
                                Muscle cramps
                                Increased cholesterol levels
                                Decreased concentration
                                Vague aches and pains
                                Swelling of the legs

Wow. I have thyroid nodules, and have been reading the threads about adding iodine to your diet with interest. I've started eating Nori daily (love the stuff) and have added kelp noodles - have been eating a lot of those, too. It really wasn't until I read the symptoms that I had my Aha! moment.

I have suffered from muscle cramps for a long time. I've added magenisum, calcium... to my diet, upped my water intake, and nothing has helped. My feet cramp when I do yoga, stretching or sometimes even just sitting around, my thighs cramp regularly (I can tell you, that is not a fun feeling). As it was usually after some tough workout, I blamed that. I started adding kelp about the same time I started a round of P90X2 - I love the balance work.

I noticed immediately that I started sleeping better. I used to have several nights a week where I would wake up at 2AM and have trouble getting back to sleep. Those seemed to be gone. I credited P90X2 for that - I had increased my level of exercise, so I thought I was responding to that. The cramping, or lack there of, I noticed when after a few days without Nori, my foot cramped, and I had to literally think back to the last time that happened. It's been a while. A long while. P90X2 is not as tough physically as P90X, but it would have, in the past absolutely made me cramp. Nothing.

Funny how the light bulb can go on like that... Thank you all!
                                Christine
                                Wag more, bark less

Comment

Working...
                                X