X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
    rrustad,

You are Terrific !

There is no doubt that the poor devil who found such amazing relief from Ponaris was also severely deficient in iodine. Ponaris is going into my notes. That was a great find!

Here is the link:
    Amazon.com: PONARIS NASAL EMOLLIENT Size: 30 ML: Health & Personal Care
    Here is how it is used:
    * You put a drop or two in your nose with your head tilted back and allow it to run to the back of your throat.
    * It comes with a dropper, but I just use a Q-tip to apply.

Grizz
    And, you are sweet ! Thanks. While I never suffered anywhere near the extent or degree that poor person did, I can relate to that form of pain. That's how my allergies/sensitivities affect me, too. I've had several doctors tell me that its not possible to have a "sinus headache" or to have the type of excruciating pain - that I had on one occasion of damage to my cheek area sinuses - as a result of something in the sinus cavity. The pain went into my teeth and lower jaw and I really wanted to have my head cut off! You could see the damage to the sinus lining on radiograph. Anyway, here's hoping that Pronaris does its magic for my sinuses too!
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

Iodine Research and Application Group:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwynn View Post
      rrustad, that sounds like amazing stuff! I will definitely put that on the list to check out.

Grizz, I was amazed as well to see the spider veins vanishing. I'll let you know if and when they are completely gone. How is Mrs. Grizz doing on her Iodine?

Gwynn
      Please share any experiences with or thoughts about Pronaris.
      I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

• Update on my approach to salt loading. I discovered that the Whole Foods store sells reverse osmosis water - and its also filtered through carbon and UV treated so it tastes great! $.59 a gallon and you can bring your own containers. Now I have a supply of safe drinking water until we get the filters set up.

I used an empty 16 oz Tropical Traditions CO glass jar with food grade lid - but kept the water level low anyway. Added a Himalayan salt rock and am letting it dissolve to saturation. Should have a stock of salt solution to use soon and may use it like I used to on a daily basis once per day rather then wait until I have a need for more intervention.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

• This article sheds light on the relationship between iodine and the liver (thanks again, DaveRN):

IODINE: Serum Inorganic Iodide Levels Following Ingestion of a tablet from of Lugol Solution.

I've been wondering about how the liver factored in - given that iodine and the other halides like bromide are water soluble and excreted via the kidneys. Clearly, the liver seemed somehow involved for me since my primary method of toxin excretion with the iodine therapy is via poop not pee - which means liver detox somewhere along the line.

Well, I am not the only one puzzled on this subject - as Abrahams points out in the article. So, now we know that the liver does indeed have a relationship with iodine - in several senses.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

• I just suddenly realized something. A few days ago I stopped my low dose levothyroxine because i felt that the issues that I was starting to have were more likely related to that med than to iodine/detox. Ever since then I wake up each day feeling better than the day before. And, that feeling lasts all day. Levothyroxine takes up to a week to leave the body. It seems to me that the more it is gone the better I feel. I'm also thinking about upping my iodine dose at the end of that week when its all out of my system.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

• Just a word of advice for anyone making / taking the SOLE salt solution, make sure you drink enough water!

When I took sole daily, a few years back, I didn't up my water consumption enough. After a while I developed kidney stones. The salt was causing an excess build up of minerals in my kidneys, that weren't being excreted. I stopped taking the sole solution after that, and have not had a reoccurred of the stones again.

I don't know how much salt is actually in a teaspoon of sole... but I now take my salt in 'salt' form, because then I actually have a visual about how much I'm taking and can drink the according amount of water.
              SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
              “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

• Thanks for the new information, Grizz. I applied to join the Yahoo group so I can read the threads about Sjogrens. I think that the Iodine protocol is enough for now, without adding something like LDN to the mix. Also couldn't get past $25 for shipping! Something to keep in mind, though.

I have discovered that when I am on one of the coasts, I don't have as much dryness problems as I have at home. My city has about 15% average humidity. Moving is on my wish list.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrustad View Post
                  I just suddenly realized something. A few days ago I stopped my low dose levothyroxine because i felt that the issues that I was starting to have were more likely related to that med than to iodine/detox. Ever since then I wake up each day feeling better than the day before. And, that feeling lasts all day. Levothyroxine takes up to a week to leave the body. It seems to me that the more it is gone the better I feel. I'm also thinking about upping my iodine dose at the end of that week when its all out of my system.
                  rrustad,
                  I had to look up levothyroxine and I was gasping at the side effects !
                  Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; flushing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); changes in appetite; changes in menstrual periods; chest pain; diarrhea; excessive sweating; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; heat intolerance; joint pain; leg cramps; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, irritability, nervousness); muscle weakness; seizures; severe or persistent headache or fatigue; shortness of breath; stomach cramps; tremors; trouble sleeping; unusual weight gain or weight loss; vomiting; wheezing. This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider.
                  Levothyroxine Side Effects | Drugs.com
                  Hmmm what is worse, the side effects or whatever it is supposed to cure (hypothyroid).
                  It was also said to be a synthetic T4 hormone, and I recall much discussion at the Leptin Thread that synthetic hormones were a No No, and it was best to use natural hormone replacements. Those people in that thread became professional blood testers with never ending blood testing that are making the testing labs rich (and driving me crazy)! Then they started sitting in bathtubs filled with ICE! That may have health benefits but not for ME! Yeeks just the thought that makes my testicles scream !

IMO, if we eat a balanced diet with proper vitamins & nutrition including enough iodine, the blood should take care of itself, and I should not have to send BIG$$$$ to the blood testing labs, and sit in a tub of ice water.

Grizz

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                    Hey Guys, I need your input.

On Thursday night as I went to bed, I had a strong feeling that something was wrong. I was anxious and afraid to sleep. I have a history of Pulmonary Emboli, so I used a pulse ox machine to check that my oxygenation was OK. It was 99%, but my heart rate was between 40 and 45bpm, Very low. My normal is in the low 60s. I did not go to the ER, but stayed up for several hours monitoring my heart rate. I could not sleep until it hit the 60s again. Yesterday I saw my dr. We did an EKG, and blood tests for thyroid, inr (clotting), cbc, d3(my request), and magnesium level. Then I went to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram and to get an event monitor for the next 30 days. I have heard nothing back from the doctor on my bloodwork, so everything is probably normal. This leaves me with a problem. What is my next step?

I have been supplementing with iodoral for a month. I started at 1/2 a pill, then moved on to 1 pill last Friday. I had small detox symptoms, but also increased energy. I am taking the mag, selenium and vit. C as well. Now, before anyone says that my problem was caused by the iodoral, let me give a little background.

I have had these low heart rate episodes a couple of times before in the 18 months since my PE incident. I thought that they were panic attacks. I would feel a sense of "impending doom", show a low HR, quickly followed by my heart racing up and down from the low up to the low 100s. In addition, in the last year, I have started losing lots of hair and my female problems have increased exponentially. I am experiencing terrible mood swings, bingeing every few days and have terrible PMS symptoms. I have a pelvic sonogram every year, due to my Mom dying of Ovarian Cancer, and they always find ovarian cysts. I am 44 years old, so likely perimenopausal. My last TSH was 1.07 (normal) almost a year ago, but that test is apparently useless on its own.

I believe that my thyroid may be OK, but that I am seriously iodine deficient. I am trying to get past the fear I feel over this incident and think clinically about this. I know you are not doctors, but what would you do?

1)Increase my iodoral intake from 1 pill (12.5mg) to ?

2)Stay at 1 pill for a while?

3)Stop taking the iodoral?

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

Grizz Interesting...in your first post in this thread, you mentioned decreased HR as a sign of low thyroid function.
                    UPDATE and a Caution-March 4th. I've experienced what amounts to a thyroid crash. Since the above incident a little over a week ago, I have become the poster child for sudden onset hypothyroid symptoms. The worst of which is central sleep apnea brought on by the low heart rate. I cannot sleep because my HR, respirations and oxygen level drop the minute I doze off. We discovered it when my symptoms finally took me to the ER on Thursday. All my test were perfect. I was waiting to be discharged when I fell asleep. My husband, an RN, watched the heart monitor as everything started to drop. He waited to see how low it would go then woke me at the critical point. I am in absolute misery. It turned out that after the original incident, my Dr. only tested the TSH (WTF? Idiot Dr.) which is now 2.2. I did the full panel on Friday. I have to wait most of this week for the results.

***I do believe in the Iodine protocol and I was following the plan, but unfortunately, I had unrecognized thyroid issues. Hindsight is 20/20. I would advise anyone planning to do this to get a full thyroid panel 1st, especially ladies in their 40's or older. Believe me, you do not want to go through what I am going through now.

Update 4/2012
                    I wanted to add to this post because Grizz put a link to this post in the Iodine References Doc.

I had a full thyroid panel done and all test were in normal range. I no longer believe that Iodine was the cause of my Thyroid Crash. I had been eating Very Low Carb for a long time. This can cause the thyroid to turn down it's function. My Chiro recommended eating 75+ grams of carb/day. As soon as I made that change, all of my symptoms disappeared. I restarted iodine therapy in mid March. I am taking 12.5 mg of lugols 2% with the recommended co nutrients and am having normal detox symptoms. I am also seeing the benefits. I will update as needed.
                    Last edited by Pebbles67; 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

rrustad,
                      I had to look up levothyroxine and I was gasping at the side effects ! ............
                      Grizz
                      In the interest of balance, I have been taking synthetic T4 since November 1986 when I had my Total Thyroidectomy. I added synthetic T3 in 1990.

'Natural' thyroid replacement was not an option. It is now, but it's costly.

I have never had any of those side effects. I have never had a problem with my dose; blood tests are always great. Even through 2 very healthy pregnancies.

Comment

• Pebbles,
                        I have posted your message in my new Iodine References document (below the line).
                        Are you able to take a minimal iodine supplement such as 225mcg of kelp which is recommended by Dr. Davis?

It would be unfortunate if you unable to get any iodine into your system. Please keep us posted and we have you in our prayers.
                        Grizz

Comment

• Here is an excellent article about Bromine disrupting our thyroid.
                          I recently tuned into a webinar done by Dr. Moira Dolan who was teaching about the thyroid gland. Who doesn’t know someone who struggles with thyroid issues? Thyroid issues are becoming as common as type 2 diabetes. I’ve done serious study of the thyroid during the past several years and am still learning about this tiny yet crucial piece of tissue.

This won’t be a treatise on the thyroid today, but instead an informative article on bromide and what it does to the thyroid. Bromide (or bromine) is a toxic substance that blocks the action of iodine (which is critical for optimal thyroid function). From what I’ve read, bromide and bromine are used interchangeably. However, chemically speaking, “A bromide ion is a bromine atom with charge of -1.”

Bromide is found in many forms in our environment. Dr. Dolan listed many products containing bromide such as hot tubs, pesticides, computers, TV’s, fruit and sport drinks (especially Mountain Dew), fire retardants, cosmetics, and hair products. However one of the main ways that bromide is creating havoc in the thyroid is as an ingredient in bread where it’s usually used as a dough conditioner. And any product containing enriched white flour contains flour that has been bromated.

According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, “Bromines are common endocrine disruptors, and are part of the halide family, a group of elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, and iodine. What makes it so dangerous is that it competes for the same receptors that are used to capture iodine. If you are exposed to a lot of bromine, your body will not hold on to the iodine that it needs. And iodine affects every tissue in your body — not just your thyroid.”
                          Rest of the article here:
                          Your Bread May Be Damaging Your Thyroid – (757) 482-4490 - The Coaching Pair
                          Another major & important web site here:
                          http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodine.html
                          Am am adding these links to our Iodine References, below the line,

Grizz
                          Last edited by Grizz; 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Grizz For the moment I am limiting iodine in case it is exacerbating the symptoms. I do plan to eventually try add iodine again, but work up very slowly to a 1mg dosage. It really depends on what type of hypothyroidism I have.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                              Just a word of advice for anyone making / taking the SOLE salt solution, make sure you drink enough water!

When I took sole daily, a few years back, I didn't up my water consumption enough. After a while I developed kidney stones. The salt was causing an excess build up of minerals in my kidneys, that weren't being excreted. I stopped taking the sole solution after that, and have not had a reoccurred of the stones again.

I don't know how much salt is actually in a teaspoon of sole... but I now take my salt in 'salt' form, because then I actually have a visual about how much I'm taking and can drink the according amount of water.
                              That's good advice. I make a point of paying attention to my hydration - always have since I had my first bladder infection at age 18. In the morning, I pre measure the daily amount of water that I intend to drink into a pitcher that I leave on the kitchen counter. The amount changes based on changing needs but is always a goodly amount. That pitcher will be empty before I go to bed. So far, in 41 years of focusing on hydration, I have not developed any uroliths. Knock on wood .

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

rrustad,
                                I had to look up levothyroxine and I was gasping at the side effects !

Grizz
                                Grizz, those are ALLERGIC reactions to levothyroxine - not the usual side effects. I never experienced any of these reactions. What I was concerned about is what's called a 'thyroid storm".

The usual approach to using thyroid meds is like the iodine therapy - start low and titrate up. That way we can watch for signs of over stimulating the thyroid and flipping into HYPER thyroidism.

I stopped the levothyroxine when I started having trouble getting into deep sleep - felt like I'd had a couple of cups of regular coffee. I don't drink anything with caffeine for the same reason. I am sensitive to stimulants. Now, I am sleeping well and getting restorative sleep - although my dreams seem to have unusual themes lately - which I assume is the bromine detox.

IF I were to resume thyroid meds in the future, I would do the natural approach with a product like Armor Thyroid - and I would do so under the care of a naturopath or an endo who understands this approach. I don't do any hormone replacement like estrogen these days - and when I was having hot flashes in the earlier years of menopause I used bio- identical hormones. BUT I think that the estrogen (which is a goitrogen) had a negative impact on my thyroid and that's also part of the healing process now. Among other things, it made my breasts even larger.

I plan to get tested for both iodine and bromine at least once and maybe twice. Its my usual approach to get a baseline BEFORE starting anything like the iodine therapy - but in this case I was taking an intuitive leap. I had done enough investigating that I was sure that I needed iodine and that I knew how I want to start the therapy. I was going to test first but then had an strong intuition to start the iodine immediately after the previous bladder infection/sulpha antibiotic treatment.

The iodine was IMMEDIATELY helpful and now after more investigation I find that the drug I was taking is a major anti-iodine drug - and I did have a "rare" - but not allergic - reaction to the drug. It dropped my blood pressure into a dangerously low range. Same for the heart rate AND I also had an irregular heartbeat show up on the monitor. Thankfully it was only a 3 day course and starting the iodine reversed these issues. Live and learn, right?

So, now that I know that iodine also PREVENTS and TREATS bladder infections, I may never have to revisit that whole antibiotic issue again. Bladder infections are about the only reason that I take antibiotics anyway.
                                Last edited by justaseeker; 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X