This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    No, I did no test. I take only two a day now. I've heard it's recommended to take between 12.5 and 36 mg so I'm right in the middle of that. I take Source Naturals potassium iodide. I also eat a little seaweed now and then. Sometimes I forget to take it. I feel warmer if I take it more regularly.
    See, now I was gonna take the KI from Source Naturals but they have the whole "only take for 10 days" thing, and it's treated as a EMERGENCY ONLY supplement here that many people have in the medicine cabinet (we live sorta near a nuclear plant) but for some reason I didn't think it was appropriate to take as an Iodine supplement. Even though Iodoral is basically mostly KI itself.

Am I wrong in my assessment? What about "clogging the thyroid" etc etc?

For what it's worth, I'm trying to fix a similar problem to yours, low libido. Which is absolutely ABNORMAL for me and something needs to be done.

P.S. Does the Potassium in the KI count as added Potassium, or no? We're all short on Potassium too so I've been trying to get more of that as well.
    Last edited by GrokON; 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

All the websites that I read lead back to Drs. Abrams and Brownstein who recommend both KI and Iodine and they recommend Lugols solution. But my health food store didn't have Lugol's solution so I bought the tablets instead and just go out for sushi once in a while and sometimes snack on Dulse if I get hungry during the day. I figured I'd just try it as a test. If it did nothing, maybe I'd order the Lugol's online and see if that works better, but so far I haven't tried that. I've never been very into supplements and I hate ordering stuff online.

I really didn't know what effect it would have on me. I started it because I was worried that I wasn't losing any weight going low carb and that maybe my thyroid hormones were screwed up. I read a bunch of stuff how iodine supports the thyroid so it can function properly and figured I would try that before badgering my doctor to do adequate tests. He has always tested me for low thyroid my whole life and I've always come out low-normal so he's said nothing's wrong.

So I started taking the KI tablets about 4 months ago or so and noticed no effects at all, positive or negative, so I figured all the warnings are just bunk and it's just a supplement like any other, which to me means basically it does nothing. I got a bit lax taking it for a while and my weight loss stopped, so I thought maybe that was a coincidence so I made sure to keep taking it. It seems now in retrospect that when I take it I feel warmer, but it might just be wishful thinking.

I usually have one day a month or less where I wake up in the middle of the night with a sexy dream and that's been the entire extent of my sexuality for the past 7 years or so. But a couple months ago I noticed that I was feeling a little shall we say "interested" watching a TV show with a good-looking man, which was new for me. And this month I've been awakened about 3 or 4 nights with dreams, which is a huge increase. I've almost even considered saying something to my ever-patient boyfriend, but I don't want to get his hopes up just yet in case it all goes kaput again. Then I read in a link to a video in one of the recent Iodine threads that doctor said you need Iodine for way more than thyroid, that you need it for sex hormones among other things and I sort of put two-and-two together. Maybe there's a connection. Maybe it's placebo. Maybe it's the liver I like to have for breakfast.

Since the stuff I've been doing seems to make me feel a lot better, I just keep staying the course. Just keep eating primal, lots of meat/eggs and liver and fat, skimpy on the fruit, moderate on the veggies (about equal or less than the meat). Just keep taking my Magnesium, Potassium Iodide and Vitamin D3. Plain Potassium when the leg cramps flare up. I've started an exercise class, one of those core fitness things since I don't think I even have a core. Figured I'd get some core muscles first and then try lifting weights. I had no idea I was so screwed up but with each little improvement it's like wow, I was pretty broken and didn't really notice. So, is it the KI or the combo of all these things? I don't know, but I'll keep going for now.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I too have been researching iodine/iodide and found this regarding the patch test. The conclusion below were taken from the paper "The bioavailability of iodine applied to the skin" (author is Dr Guy Abraham) and can be read in it's entirety here:

Does the skin iodine patch test give a reliable indication of whole body sufficiency for iodine?

From the published data, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine. Many factors play a role in the disappearance of the yellow color of iodine from the surface of the skin. For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white. In order to regenerate iodine on the skin, one needs to apply an oxidant such as hydrogen peroxide, complicating the test further. The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure due to weather conditions and altitude. For example, the yellow color of iodine will disappear much faster in Denver, Colorado at 5,000 feet above sea level then Los Angeles, California at sea level, irrespective of the amount of bioavailable iodine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
          I too have been researching iodine/iodide and found this regarding the patch test. The conclusion below were taken from the paper "The bioavailability of iodine applied to the skin" (author is Dr Guy Abraham) and can be read in it's entirety here:

From the published data, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine. Many factors play a role in the disappearance of the yellow color of iodine from the surface of the skin. For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white. In order to regenerate iodine on the skin, one needs to apply an oxidant such as hydrogen peroxide, complicating the test further. The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure due to weather conditions and altitude. For example, the yellow color of iodine will disappear much faster in Denver, Colorado at 5,000 feet above sea level then Los Angeles, California at sea level, irrespective of the amount of bioavailable iodine.
          I've read something similar about this - that the skin test isn't reliable. But I will admit that before I started supplementing with iodine, the patch test disappeared much, much quicker on my skin than after I'd been supplementing for a week. Indoor/outdoor temps being the same, and my altitude/location not changing. It's interesting, nonetheless.

Comment

A urine test is recommended but I don't know if you can self-administer one.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

The urine test is the undisputed BEST way to test iodine levels. However I just can't dismiss the skin patch test as being worthless.

I think we should use the skin patch test and compare notes to see what value it has. My skin patch disappears in less than 3 minutes and this suggests that I am severely deficient. I will soon boost my supplement from 2 mg/day Norwegian Kelp caps to 12 mg/day iodoral from Amazon. I'm willing to wager that the skin patch will last a lot longer after a while at the new dosage.

So bottom line, I think there is at least some value in the skin patch test.

Grizz

Comment

I started with some Maine Coast Seaweed capsules 500micrograms. My scalp broke out two days later and then two days after that I got a serious head cold with a little joint ache. I'm wondering if that was bromide detox (I do color my hair). I'm glad the iodine dose is low and I've started vit c, selinium, b2 and niacin. I also did a salt flush and started to feel better almost immediately.
                Last edited by Ferti; 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM. Reason: grammer/spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Ferti View Post
                  I started with some Maine Coast Seaweed capsules 500micrograms. My scalp broke out two days later and then two days after that I got a serious head cold with a little joint ache. I'm wondering if that was bromide detox (I do color my hair). I'm glad the iodine dose is low and I've started vit c, selinium, b2 and niacin. I also did a salt flush and started to feel better almost immediately.
                  I had the same reaction show up about a week into iodine supplementing with increased dosage of Lugol's solution and thought at first it was maybe an issue with iodine and gluten sensitivity producing dermatitis herpetiformis. I stopped iodine sups and immediately went wheat free - 4 weeks later I still had the issue but it had improved significantly, that is, until I started iodine again. Now that you mention it, I got an awful cold about 2 days into the supplement too, but never attributed it to supplementing because something has been going around the office. I just figured it was working in a germy environment.

More research (most of it here on these boards) has led me to believe as you do - that it's bromine detox. I googled some photos of that and it's more in line with what I've experienced, although why it appears on the scalp only, I have no idea. I began supplementing with selenium and Vit C., then last week added Lugol's back. Scalp issue returned with a vengeance within 12 hours, but having learned of the salt flush, tried it with some relief. This is making me lean toward it being a detox symptom. I'm sorry it happened to you, but glad to hear from someone with a similar situation.

Comment

Hair color has bromine so that was what I was thinking with the scalp breakout. I stopped using floride products (toothpaste etc) a few months back and I use spring water for cooking/drinking. I started with the iodine(seaweed) because of breast cysts which have gotten better since going paleo (probably less bromine in my diet) except for one flair up at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferti View Post
                      Hair color has bromine so that was what I was thinking with the scalp breakout. I stopped using floride products (toothpaste etc) a few months back and I use spring water for cooking/drinking. I started with the iodine(seaweed) because of breast cysts which have gotten better since going paleo (probably less bromine in my diet) except for one flair up at Christmas.
                      I also color my hair and have done so for at least 10 years, so that's possible. It didn't occur to me that my scalp would actually absorb the chemicals I've been putting on it all this time...I'm great at denial. But from other reports, bromide is in so many things, including wheat (and I've been eating wheat products for 40+ years), that I expected an all over reaction if it were that.

Comment

Bromide Detox Strategies
                        1. Salt Loading.
                        2. Stopping iodine for 48 hours to rest the kidneys.
                        3. Reducing the iodine dose temporarily, then working back up.
                        4. Taking several grams vitamin C spread out throughout the day along
                        with the Iodine Companion Nutrients.
                        5. Drinking more water.
                        6. Pulse-dosing (stopping and restarting iodine therapy.)
                        7. According to Iodine users with skin symptoms, adding 25 mg zinc often helps.

Iodine-related bromide symptoms may include but are not limited to:

eye lid twitching
                        foot twitching
                        tingling in hands or feet
                        dark thoughts (e.g., there is no reason to live)
                        depression (e.g., there is no reason to get out of bed)
                        anxiety
                        emotionality
                        mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth"
                        "different" acne,"bromide acne," "acne-like eruptions" without "coniform." (Some iodine users found zinc helps bromide acne.)
                        skin "cuts"
                        hair loss
                        brain fog
                        leg and hip ache (feels like arthritis)
                        rash (bromaderma)
                        metallic taste
                        sinus ache
                        cherry angiomas
                        runny nose
                        headache
                        sedation
                        lethargy
                        odd swallowing sensation (reported in old medical literature as "swollen glottis")
                        body odor (bromos is Greek for stench)
                        unusual urine odor <==== I notice this one
                        dry mouth
                        ureteral spasm, frequent urination (mistaken for urinary infection)
                        diarrhea
                        constipation
                        vision changes
                        irritability
                        increased salivation
                        dream changes
                        hormone changes
                        kidney pain
                        breast tenderness (transient symptom reported to resolve)
                        Iodine-related bromide detox symptoms and strategies

So bottom .line, there are a LOT of bromide detox symptoms ! We have spent our entire lives loading bromide, chlorine & other toxic chemicals into our bodies, and it will take some time to detox.

Edit: The Bromide Horror Story:
                        PERSONAL PRODUCTS AND SOME COSMETICS
                        ( Here is how it gets on your scalp & skin, confirmation )
                        Sodium bromate in Products: Permanent Waves, Hair Dyes, Textile Dyes
                        Sodium bromate is in permanent wave neutralizers, hair dye material, and
                        the textile dyeing process. (28) Benzalkonium is used as a preservative
                        in some cosmetics. (29)

http://breastcancerchoices.org/bromi...ncetheory.html

Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Bromide Poisoning Symptoms
                          =======================

Consumption, medications, lack of iodine, and exposure all combine to tilt the scales toward toxic levels of bromide in the system. As bromine levels increase and bind to the receptors for iodine throughout the body, iodine is released from the body and symptoms of iodine deficiency become more prevalent:
                          Goiter Hemorrhoids
                          Migraines
                          ADD/ADHD
                          Excess mucous formation
                          Fatigue
                          Fibrocystic Breasts
                          Atherosclerosis
                          Increased urination <<<=== My symptoms
                          Kidney syndrome
                          Vaginal infections
                          Prostate disorders <<<=== My symptoms, now mostly cleared up since starting iodine supplements
                          Keloids
                          Hypertension
                          Thyroid disorders
                          Liver diseases
                          Viral, bacterial, and fungal infections
                          Reduced immunity
                          Dry skin
                          Puffy eyes
                          Constipation as well as other signs of hypothyroidism…
                          http://smithchiro.net/articles/Bromide%20Toxicity.pdf

Best to all,
                          Grizz
                          Last edited by Grizz; 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Grizz, did you go from 2 mg kelp tabs to 12 mg Iodoral tablets? I ask because I've read in a few places that people should stay at each dose for at least a week before doubling to the next level. 2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg etc, with a couple weeks at each dosage. One source even said a month at each dosage. This is to prevent a rebound effect on your thyroid (where it loses efficiency or something like that). Anybody else read the same thing?

My next question is about bromide detox. Is this something that everyone starting up with Iodine experiences, or just some people? I have recently started iodine and currently at 1.2mg and a few days after starting came down with a bad headcold and lethargy. I assumed I caught my husband's cold but could it be bromide detox? My runny nose, sinus ache and low energy are on the list of possible symptoms. Of course, it could just be a cold.
                            I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Can I skip worrying about bromide detox and salt flushes and just eat some seaweed?

Comment

I seemed to detox with seaweed.

Comment

Working...
                                X