This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    Has anyone tried foraging for seaweed? A bag of Dulse costs a lot of money and there's a whole ocean of seaweed out there. I live on the coast in Southern California. I can take a walk on the beach every day. There's TONS of seaweed washed ashore all the time. I once had a Japanese exchange student living with me and she took a walk on the beach with me one day and pointed to all the different kinds of seaweed. That one's good, that one's really good. She even knew the names in Japanese for them all. You can't go wrong with kelp. It's all edible. The ocean is clean where I live. So I've been thinking about foraging my own seaweed. Has anyone tried this and had success?
    i live in a coastal state, mississippi, but the oil spill leaves me not wanting to touch ANYTHING washing up on our coast
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      Get a bag of dried wakame or feru wakame, arame, hijiki, or hair vegetable/seaweed (aka black moss)... I most often get the kind that is chopped and looks kind of like whole leaf tea (wakame and hijiki). Sometimes the long noodly looking ones. I'm game to try any of it. A handful will expand to an amount you won't believe! LOL

Don't think of the price (maybe $5-10 for a 50gm bag) as what you are purchasing... a Tbs dried will easily equal at least a half a cup of re-hydrated kelp. It quadruples in size!
      It's really mild and goes well with most anything once yu get used to the texture, but my favorite is to toss it in some broth, and add shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic if it's a meal, sliced green onions on top... NOM!
      OMG! Informative, and you gave me a sick recipe idea! THANK YOU!
      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
        OMG! Informative, and you gave me a sick recipe idea! THANK YOU!
        You are welcome... the soup is great with cod too!
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I have seen raw seaweed (not dried) in Asian markets and have ordered a fabulous seaweed salad made from it that tastes like they use soy sauce, probably some bonita flakes, sesame oil and sesame seeds for seasoning (I'm not against such things as seasoning) and then it came optionally with sashimi. Oh my goodness it is so good.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
            That could indicate an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. It's so common for autoimmune thyroid disease (which comprises 90% of hypothyroidism in the US) to go undiagnosed or untreated. When it does get diagnosed, it's nearly never adequately or properly treated (which totally sucks!)
            Have you checked out New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS ? That book will tell you which tests you need, as well as what lab ranges should be used to interpret the results.
            I have not, but will try. I have so many books and so little time. I'm attempting to be a grown up and get my blood tests done, but am paralyzed by the choices of what doctor to choose or to go it alone and have tests done at an independent lab or just go to a clinic like I used to do. I used to take Synthroid, but due to the nature of my life/job I've been moving pretty constantly for the last 9 or 10 years which makes it difficult to keep on top of things. At least for me.
            kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
              I have not, but will try. I have so many books and so little time. I'm attempting to be a grown up and get my blood tests done, but am paralyzed by the choices of what doctor to choose or to go it alone and have tests done at an independent lab or just go to a clinic like I used to do. I used to take Synthroid, but due to the nature of my life/job I've been moving pretty constantly for the last 9 or 10 years which makes it difficult to keep on top of things. At least for me.
              There is a list of practitioners on that site- I'm working with one of them and he's really helped me.
              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                There is a list of practitioners on that site- I'm working with one of them and he's really helped me.
                Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT:
                I went to the find a practioner page and got a server error. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
                Last edited by kiss; 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM.
                kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
                  Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT:
                  I went to the find a practioner page and got a server error. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
                  If, for some reason it doesn't, let me know and I can get you the list.
                  http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

This thread encouraged me to start munching on those dulse flakes that I keep in the cupboard but never touch :o
                    **Food and Meows**

Comment

I started taking kelp capsules because I was struggling with low body temperature and had seriously dry, flaking skin. Six months later the dry skin was gone, and my temperature had raised 1 degree F.

Comment

Update on the Iodine Skin Test.

The BAD news:
                        I have done the "Iodine Skin Test" several times since Jan 9th and in each test the iodine stain disappeared in less than 3 minutes, suggesting that I am still severely iodine deficient. The iodine stain is supposed to last for > 7 hours if we are even close to being sufficient.

The GREAT news:
                        My Prostate problems have definitely been cured at 2 mg a day Norwegian Kelp Iodine Supplements from Amazon.Com. In addition my sleep continues getting better every night. Best sleep in decades last night when I slept SOUNDLY all night until 6:30 AM waking up only 1 time to urinate.

We need to get the message out to EVERYONE we know about the need for iodine supplementation.

I have this week ordered iodoral iodine capsules 12 mg from Amazon. I plan to VERY SLOWLY titrate this up from once a week to every day to see if I can get my skin test up to "normal." Then drop back to 1 mg daily from the Norwegian Kelp tablets. Will keep everyone here informed of my progress. Maybe I will notice even more health improvements ( fingers crossed )

EDIT 3/15/12
                        DO NOT TAKE IODINE WITHOUT THE REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTS

See Iodine References, below the line

Best to all,
                        Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 03-15-2012, 04:24 AM.

Comment

I read on a website somewhere when I was first starting the low-carb version of this diet (but now I can't find it) that some doctor recommends to all his patients to take 4 potassium iodide tablets a day for a month, then taper to 2 tablets a day for a year and then after that. Then after that, either continue on with 2 a day or go to 1. So I started up right away taking 4 12.5mg potassium iodide tablets. I have not experienced any negative side-effects from doing this. They say that the average Japanese woman gets 13mg of iodine a day in her (traditional) diet. I'm much bigger than the average Japanese woman.

Anyway, aside from not taking it slow at all, after about 4 months of this, I think that my sex life might be waking up. I haven't had those kinds of feelings since I had a hysterectomy for fibroids in 2005. Apparently fibroids may be a symptom of iodine deficiency. I am hoping this continues and I can be a normal person again and not just an a-sexual non-woman, which is kind of how I feel. Neither female nor male. Just kind of nothing.

Comment

sbhikes,
                            Have you done the "Iodine Skin Patch Test?" My skin patch disappeared in less than 3 minutes. It appears that your iodine levels should by normalized with your dosage. How long have you been doing this? What brand of iodine are you taking?

YES! You are right. Iodine deficiency is far worse for women than men. Do a search of "female problems Iodine deficient" and the results are just shocking.

Grizz

Comment

No, I did no test. I take only two a day now. I've heard it's recommended to take between 12.5 and 36 mg so I'm right in the middle of that. I take Source Naturals potassium iodide. I also eat a little seaweed now and then. Sometimes I forget to take it. I feel warmer if I take it more regularly.

Comment

This might be the website where I got the recommendation. Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health

Although I wrote down 4 tablets for a month and 2 tablets for a year. It says 4 tablets for 3 months and then reduce down to 1. Of course it says "doctor's supervision" all over the place, but who can find a doctor who will go along with anything that isn't basic drug company-derived CW?

Oh, I've been taking it since September or October. Not sure. Anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt me any and perhaps it is part of the reason I am feeling more healthy on this new way of eating. It's not like my old way of eating was terribly awful. Just not much in the way of daily protein or saturated fat and the weekend pastries and daily candy didn't do a lot of good.

Comment

Working...
                                X