Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Bromide detox one of the neurological manifestations is vision changes, does anyone know what type?
    I upped my lugol's to 4 drops yesterday plus the 4.5 mg I'm getting through kelp supplements and had a twitch under my left eye, up 3lbs of inflammation overnight and my eyesight is weaker in the past month, noticibly weaker particularly in my right eye (been doing kelp for a month just added lugol's in last week)

I'm taking the C, B complex and 200 mcg selenium concurrently.
    at work right now but will do the salt load tonight to see if that helps.

on the bright side my energy levels are great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
      @grokon
      @kilian

The official recommendation is 200mcg per day ( or else 1 brazil nut which also contains 200mcg )
      Iodine Therapy Guidelines
      Thanks Grizz... One of the resources you linked to earlier seemed to suggest 400mcg daily (2x 200mcg) so I am relieved that 200mcg seems to be enough.

Question: On a liver day or seafood day, where maybe I'd eat a little Selenium but only 1 or 2 times a week if that, can I still take the Selenium supplementation? It is my understanding that it is more of a cumulative overdose, so taking 200mcg of supplementation, plus some liver or cod in the same day won't be an issue.

I avoid Brazil nuts because of the Omega 6... I get highly inflamed skin reactions from Omega 6.
      5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

• I'm taking everything but the 100mg B2, 500mg B3.
        I'll drop back to no drops until the symptoms stop, then start back on one drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
          Gwynn,
          I have strong feelings about this. IMO loads of cancer in your family is caused by a severe deficiencies in Vitamin D3 and in iodine. Both deficiencies are at epidemic levels in the USA. And BOTH are needed for optimal immune system function. If the immune system is optimal, then there will be NO cancers. Most folks need 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 to get their blood level to optimum 70 to 100 ng/ml, and we know that 12mg/daily of iodine is optimal. It is my opinion that no one in your family would have suffered cancer if they were optimal in both iodine & Vitamin D3. Eating grains & cereals makes this bad situation far worse because this causes leaky gut which inflames critical areas of the body, full details in the book, Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. So your family no doubt eats grains, too! Right?
          References:
          Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
          Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

BTW) Surprise-some of the heaviest smokers in the world are the Japanese, yet they have far less lung cancers per capita than Americans do - because they eat so much seaweed & sea foods. Surprising details in the Dr. Brownstein book.

If EVERYONE in the USA gave up grains, and got sufficiency in Vitamin D3 + Iodine, I'll wager the $50 Billion Cancer Industry would go broke and most hospitals & doctors would go bankrupt.

Grizz
          Grizz,

If I knew then what I know now, I may not have had my surgery. Hindsite....I have always had a terror of cancer. My mother died when I was a baby-Hodgkins. Her sister died that same year of colon cancer. I had a cousin that died at 49, again, colon cancer. These are the young deaths. I had a great-aunt who died of colon cancer, she was in her 70's though. All smoked, and of course all ate grains. Oh, yeah, my dad passed away in 1999 from lung cancer, but he was a three pack a day man.

I know cancer is a huge industry. So is heart disease, and a host of other illnesses. I know they have squashed legitimate cancer treatments. There was a supplement a while back in the health food store that I cannot remember the name of, but it was made from some kind of mushroom. The powers that be jerked it from the shelves, because it was actually working.

So, I would rather get my iodine and D3 levels up and have a fighting chance.

Gwynn

Comment

• Originally posted by maile1 View Post
            Under Bromide detox one of the neurological manifestations is vision changes, does anyone know what type?
            I upped my lugol's to 4 drops yesterday plus the 4.5 mg I'm getting through kelp supplements and had a twitch under my left eye, up 3lbs of inflammation overnight and my eyesight is weaker in the past month, noticibly weaker particularly in my right eye (been doing kelp for a month just added lugol's in last week)

I'm taking the C, B complex and 200 mcg selenium concurrently.
            at work right now but will do the salt load tonight to see if that helps.

on the bright side my energy levels are great!
            maile,
            Which Lugols do you have? 2% or 5%
            * 4 drops 2% = 10mg
            * 4 drops 5% = 25mg
            I suggest stopping your lugols & go to 1 mg kelp, or even pulse dosing once a week if necessary to stop ALL of your detox symptoms. Bloat, twitching eyelid & vision changes are detox symptoms. Then slooowly titrate back up. We want to keep detox symptoms to a minimum so as not to overload the liver & kidneys.

* Detox symptoms are caused by too many toxins going into your bloodstream faster than your liver & kidneys can dispose of them.

* You have a lifetime of toxins trying to get out of your system, so more iodine is NOT better.

* Haste makes waste.

* It takes a long time to detox - do not attempt hurry the process.

- - Dr. Brownstein says it can take 6+ months to detox at 50mg & it can take many months to titrate up to 50mg

You should be taking all of the companion supplements to help your body detox, and a salt flush can also help. NOT TABLE SALT ! It must be natural sea salt. Read the Iodine Bible carefully. Print it out & refer to it often.
            http://home.comcast.net/~jocy1/junk/...h%20Iodine.pdf

Edit: For more on your bloat, see this link:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post731973

Best of luck in optimising your health,
            Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwynn View Post
              Grizz,

If I knew then what I know now, I may not have had my surgery. Hindsite....I have always had a terror of cancer. My mother died when I was a baby-Hodgkins. Her sister died that same year of colon cancer. I had a cousin that died at 49, again, colon cancer. These are the young deaths. I had a great-aunt who died of colon cancer, she was in her 70's though. All smoked, and of course all ate grains. Oh, yeah, my dad passed away in 1999 from lung cancer, but he was a three pack a day man.

I know cancer is a huge industry. So is heart disease, and a host of other illnesses. I know they have squashed legitimate cancer treatments. There was a supplement a while back in the health food store that I cannot remember the name of, but it was made from some kind of mushroom. The powers that be jerked it from the shelves, because it was actually working.

So, I would rather get my iodine and D3 levels up and have a fighting chance.

Gwynn
              Gwynn,
              Dr. Davis in his book, "Wheat Belly" discusses why wheat causes colon cancers. It has to do with the wheat also causing celiac disease in the intestines. Every nasty intestinal problem including colostomies, iliostamies, dr. Davis blames on wheat and with very good supporting evidence.

Even though we have stopped eating wheat, and know it is bad for us, the Dr. Davis book is a great read to see just how bad wheat really is. Wheat is no longer what people ate in biblical times. Todays wheat is a frankenstein monster created in the laboratory with gene splicing, nuclear radiation, and is grossly mutated. It is not wheat any more. Ditto modern corn!

Grizz

Comment

• Mark posted on Iodine today...

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I still get freezing cold (despite living in Santa Barbara). Like today, the fog rolled in and brrr it's freezing! But in the middle of the night or in the morning I wake up burning hot and stay that way all morning until I get on my scooter and go to work.
                  I'm getting the "random burning hot" experience too. It's usually in the middle of the night unfortunately, which means I end up being awake for awhile. Sometimes in the morning too though. It feels like there is literally some substance pumping through my veins, making it impossible to sleep (although at that point I usually only have 3-5 hours' worth so it's not enough). I know that sounds weird/crazy but I don't know how else to explain it! Is this my thyroid "waking up"?? If so ... how do I tell it to not wake up til morning and cut it out with the 2-4 a.m. craziness?? (BTW I am only 30 so it's not hot flashes ...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kilian View Post
                    Mark posted on Iodine today...
                    Kilian,
                    Thanks for the Heads Up ! Mark essentially repeats the advice of Dr. Davis, to eat lots of seaweed and sea food.

Here is what Mark says:
                    Well, iodine is a vital component in the production of thyroid hormone, and thyroid hormone in part controls your metabolic rate as well as energy metabolism. So in a roundabout way, yes, iodine can support the metabolism of fats (as well as other forms of energy, like protein and carbohydrate) by providing the substrate for production of thyroid hormone. But just because you went Primal doesn’t mean you need to start popping iodine.

Of course, since you’re no longer eating processed food rich in iodized salt, which is where many people get their iodine, you may be missing out. And if you’ve switched from iodized table salt to unrefined sea salt – as many Primal eaters do – you’ve just removed another rich source of iodine in their diets. Instead of popping iodine or going back on the junk food, just eat foods rich in iodine. Seaweed, shellfish, and other seafood, seeing as how they spend most of their waking lives fully immersed in iodine-rich sea water, are excellent sources of iodine. Vegetables and the animals that eat them can also be good sources of iodine, but if the soil is iodine-depleted, so is the food that grows and eats there. The sea will most likely always be a good source.

Unless you’re actually hypothyroid and are working with a practitioner, I wouldn’t launch right into iodine supplementation. If you’re doing well on the Primal lifestyle, eating iodine-rich foods like seaweed, fish, shellfish, and pastured eggs, and you seem to be handling your dietary energy with grace and aplomb, I doubt you need to supplement. If you’re suffering and you don’t feel like your metabolism is able to handle the food you’re throwing its way, then it might be worth getting a thyroid panel done. While you’re at it, test for iodine deficiency.

And if you determine that iodine supplementation is right for you, make sure to get enough selenium before you begin supplementing, as selenium is also required for thyroid hormone synthesis. Get your selenium from foods like Brazil nuts (just one or two a day), wild salmon, kidneys, crimini and shiitake mushrooms, lamb, turkey, shrimp, cod, halibut, and egg yolks. For more info on selenium and thyroid health, check out Chris Kresser’s recent (and awesome) post on the subject.

Read more: Dear Mark: Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM; Iodine for Thyroid | Mark's Daily Apple
                    Mark, many thanks for your informative article.

Unfortunately, Mark does not get into the companion subject that we are knee deep into as I speak. The toxins that have accumulated into the iodine receptors in every cell in our body over our lifetime takes a long time to detox. It takes more than 3 yummy sea foods a week to kick these toxins out of our body to make room for iodine. Cases on the Internet where the person had been on 50mg of iodoral for 6 months (and thought she was clean) had discovered severe detox symptoms at 100mg. One of our own members, JDW, also discusses this in detail here in this thread. Over the months we will be getting more experience with this subject.

Bests,
                    Grizz
                    Last edited by Grizz; 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• "From my own clinical experience, repeated application of iodine (Lugol’s) to the skin appears to cause regeneration of the skin from the bottom up (Quiescent, stable or stem cell) (3) eventually sloughing the old version of the skin off like a snake molting. If there was a pre-cancerous lesion on the old skin, it is replaced with new skin minus the lesion. There does not seem to be any skin lesions which are not helped or cured by this procedure."
                      http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl2a.htm

This is 1st evidence that iodine applied to skin cancers has a good impact. I had read about this in links I've seen. Also confirms that bloat is a symptom of too much detox ( too high of a iodine dose too soon )

Grizz
                      Last edited by Grizz; 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• I have been taking 12.5 mg for the past couple weeks with great results (increased energy, better sleep, etc).

Well, yesterday I upped the dose to 25 mg & had major detox symptoms! Too many too list, but around 10 of the ones from the posted reference document. I also got pretty bloated... up 3 pounds. I used the celtic sea salt + chlorella (in addition to the supporting supplements), but I still felt pretty bad. I'm mostly better today as far as the # of detox symptoms, but it's weird - I feel almost hungover today (and no alcohol yesterday). Strange! I think my liver/kidneys need a break. So no iodine today.

I will start again on 12.5 mg tomorrow or the next day & stay with that for a couple months before trying to move up again.

It just goes to show that you CAN have too much of a good thing! I felt SO GREAT on 12.5mg, but 25 took me in the wrong direction. ;-)

Comment

• Yes, I just tried the 25 mg experiment for the last two days. I felt hollow headed and had a headache. Going back to 12.5 for a few days. Pulse Dosing it is.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by sunnysara View Post
                            I have been taking 12.5 mg for the past couple weeks with great results (increased energy, better sleep, etc).

Well, yesterday I upped the dose to 25 mg & had major detox symptoms! Too many too list, but around 10 of the ones from the posted reference document. I also got pretty bloated... up 3 pounds. I used the celtic sea salt + chlorella (in addition to the supporting supplements), but I still felt pretty bad. I'm mostly better today as far as the # of detox symptoms, but it's weird - I feel almost hungover today (and no alcohol yesterday). Strange! I think my liver/kidneys need a break. So no iodine today.

I will start again on 12.5 mg tomorrow or the next day & stay with that for a couple months before trying to move up again.

It just goes to show that you CAN have too much of a good thing! I felt SO GREAT on 12.5mg, but 25 took me in the wrong direction. ;-)
                            @SunnySara,
                            @Pebbles,
                            Thank you for the feedback. We must go SLOOOOOWLY when titrating up our dosage. Each titrate up should be in tiny steps. I'm finding out that the BLOAT caused by too much toxins in the blood stream at one time can be VERY difficult to get rid of. One person at the Iodine Group reported 30 lbs of bloat in just a few days that took many months to get rid of. The toxins get stored in fat cells with water if there is more than the liver & kidneys can handle.

I don't think anyone here wants 30 lbs of bloat !
                            Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Well, I ordered Dr. Brownstein's book from Amazon. I got the 4th Edition, and it came with a bottle of 2% Lugol's.

I have been noticing bloat, and lower back pain (kidneys) and pain under my right ribs (liver.) I did take the day off from Iodine. I think I will stick with the four drops of 5%, but I am going to add a green drink of this stuff:

Natural Vegetarian Meal Replacement for natural healthy weight loss. Support a healthy diet while losing weight. Rich in amino acids, omegas, and green superfoods for uncompromising nutrition.

I am going to add celery which is a natural bloat-fighter, and cilantro, which helps the liver.

You're right, Grizz, no one here wants 30 pounds of bloat!

Comment

• Gwynn:I have been noticing bloat, and lower back pain (kidneys) and pain under my right ribs (liver.) I did take the day off from Iodine. I think I will stick with the four drops of 5%, but I am going to add a green drink of this stuff:
                                May I suggest you take more than 1 day off (maybe a week or 2) and drop back to 1 drop=6.25mg? 4 drops=25mg and in view of your symptoms, I think it is wise to play chicken and come back in another week or 2 to fight the fight again, and slooowly titrate back to your 4 drops. We are in no hurry, and I don't want you getting sick.

Better still, since you have a new bottle of Lugols, 2% go with 1drop=2.5mg when you start up again.

Grizz

Comment

Working...
                                X