Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hypothyroid and have supplemented with Lugol's solution but develop a rash on the scalp within 24-48 hrs of supplementing. I never salt anything, iodine patch test on skin takes 15+ hours to disappear. Some of my searching tells me this could be either an allergy to the iodine (although this is supposedly rare) or detox effects flushing out bromide (which is now used in place of iodine in manufactured food supply). I am hoping it's the latter, as I have had no dangerous reactions such as difficulty breathing, swelling, etc. typical of allergic reactions.

Thanks for the video post, btw. Great info.

Comment

Yep, called Kelp Noodles

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
        Yep, called Kelp Noodles
        +1!

And wakame, and kombu, and nori... YUM.
        I'll keep my kelp/iodine supplements in whole food form thank you.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
          I suspect this is just another fad promoted to sell supplements to the unwary. I've had Hashimoto's for years, and one thing I've learned from my research into thyroid is that it is relatively rare for anyone in the U.S. to be iodine deficient because we've iodized salt for so long and added iodine into other foods.

Iodine deficiency can cause non-Hashi's hypothyroidism, but that is mainly restricted to third-world countries. I've read that there hasn't been a documented case of hypo that was caused by iodine deficiency in the U.S. since the early part of the 20th century.

Personally, I don't take any supplement unless I have a medical test that documents a deficiency--which is how I began taking Vit. D3.
          emmie,
          This just came in for your Hashi: There is now a great deal of hope for ALL autoimmune disease!
          This is the real deal ! This is not an "Internet Folk-lore."
          Neurologist Dr. Kruse supports this amazing discovery for Multiple Schlerosis, Cancers, Parkinsons, Alzheimers and more autoimmune diseases. See the complete list below.

This doctor cured his MS & failing memory with this amazing chance discovery for the new applications of an old drug, LDN.
          "The Single Greatest Drug Breakthrough since Penicillin," A Miracle Cure for cancers & autoimmune disease - $8 a month.
          LDN simply boosts the immune system which in turn cures all of these diseases, with no side effects.

Generic Name: Naltrexone Hcl
          US Brand : Revia 50 mg
          Manufacturer : Intas Pharmaceuticals India
          Package : 10 Pills
          Price : $16.80
          Strength : 50 mg ( must be cut down to 4 mg daily )

Dosage: Just 4 mg daily, cost $1 a day, causes a big boost in the immune system to cure multiple diseases
          Videos & story here. See the video LDN in 7 minutes first
          Uncategorized « Google LDN!

Bernard Bihari, MD, as well as other physicians and researchers, have described beneficial effects of LDN on a variety of diseases:

Cancers & Other Diseases:
          Bladder Cancer
          Breast Cancer
          Carcinoid
          Colon & Rectal Cancer
          Glioblastoma
          Liver Cancer
          Lung Cancer (Non-Small Cell)
          Lymphocytic Leukemia (chronic)
          Lymphoma (Hodgkin’s and Non-Hodgkin’s)
          Malignant Melanoma
          Multiple Myeloma
          Neuroblastoma
          Ovarian Cancer
          Pancreatic Cancer
          Prostate Cancer (untreated)
          Renal Cell Carcinoma
          Throat Cancer
          Uterine Cancer

ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
          Alzheimer’s Disease
          Ankylosing Spondylitis
          Autism Spectrum Disorders
          Behcet’s Disease
          Celiac Disease
          Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
          CREST syndrome
          Crohn’s Disease
          Emphysema (COPD)
          Endometriosis
          Fibromyalgia
          HIV/AIDS
          Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
          Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
          Parkinson’s Disease
          Pemphigoid
          Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS)
          Psoriasis
          Rheumatoid Arthritis
          Sarcoidosis
          Scleroderma
          Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS)
          Systemic Lupus (SLE)
          Transverse Myelitis
          Ulcerative Colitis
          Wegener’s Granulomatosis
          EDIT - 3/15/12
          I have started this new thread on LDN
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post739097

Grizz
          Last edited by Grizz; 03-15-2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

@otzie and all,

Sorry I haven't been on this thread for a while. I have been spending a great deal of time researching Iodine.

I have upped my dosage of Norwegian Kelp supplements from 1 mg to 2 mg a day ( 4 tabs to 8 tabs) because I was responding so well on 1 mg. On 1 mg, my sleep had improved dramatically - no more insomnia and my brain fog lifted. DREAMS IN COLOR from no dreams at all ! ! !

Now at 2 mg, I notice my getting up in the middle of the night to urinate has gone from 3-4 to just once. A cure for prostatitis?

Now I have 2 more amazing videos from a qualified doctor that report female problems are caused by iodine deficiency ! !
            Iodine Deficiency Linked to Cancer Part 1 - YouTube
            Iodine Deficiencies Linked to Cancer Part 2 - YouTube

It is now clear that the government RDA of 150 MCG Iodine per day is a JOKE ! We have a national epidemic of iodine deficiency because of government corruption !

I have decided to go to the "Japanese Dosage" of 12 mg daily using iodoral from Amazon. The Japanese get 12 mg daily from their seafoods that they eat.
            CLEARING UP THE IODINE CONFUSION PART 1
            Amazon.com: Optimox Iodoral 180 tabs: Health & Personal Care

Every organ & cell in the body requires iodine, including the brain. We have been starved of this vital nutrient by government corruption. At 12 mg/day, it will take 1 year to refill the body reservoirs of iodine ! They thyroid requires iodine & the remaing cells in the body require iodide, both are supplied by iodoral. See this before starting iodoral:
            http://breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

The biggest OUTRAGE of all, Bromide wipes out iodine in our body, and is included in bread and anything else made of flour, used as a "Dough Conditioner." So does chemicals used in drinking water. THIS is why there is an iodine epidemic in the USA - Canada & Europe have made this practice illegal.

EDIT 3/15/12
            DO NOT TAKE IODINE WITHOUT THE REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTS

Details here in "Iodine Introduction & References"

Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 03-15-2012, 04:09 AM.

Comment

I think that for your iodine intake to be safe you also need adequate selenium.

Comment

Originally posted by weird fish View Post
                I think that for your iodine intake to be safe you also need adequate selenium.
                Also found in whole kelp products (and lots of other lovely nutrients)... Nom!
                Last edited by cori93437; 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I took Lugols as well as selenium and magnesium and my thyroid became swollen and bulgy. I read that was caused because the thyroid was trying to suck in as much iodine as possible. I dunno. I stopped taking it shortly after the swelling. It went down but it's not gone. I'm going to eventually go get my thyroid tested. I used to take Synthroid but stopped a couple of years ago. I have a thread about finding a doctor in odds and ends about that.
                  kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
                    I took Lugols as well as selenium and magnesium and my thyroid became swollen and bulgy. I read that was caused because the thyroid was trying to suck in as much iodine as possible. I dunno. I stopped taking it shortly after the swelling. It went down but it's not gone. I'm going to eventually go get my thyroid tested. I used to take Synthroid but stopped a couple of years ago. I have a thread about finding a doctor in odds and ends about that.
                    I had a similar experience while taking 1 tablet (12.5mg) of Iodoral. I got a full feeling in the front of my neck and a lump every time I swallowed. I became terrified that the iodine was damaging my thyroid and I stopped taking it. The lumpy feeling went away. I read Dr. Brownstein's book and I do feel that iodine is important, but I really don't know how to proceed given the way it affected me. I certainly do not want to damage my thyroid.

Comment

DUDE. My hands and feet are always cold! I'm even wearing fingerless gloves as I type this!

Can tincture of iodine be found anywhere? Any drug store? Or a naturopathic one?
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Sometimes I get so confused around here...
                        I thought that going Paleo/PB was about getting the nutrition we need as naturally as possible. Why all the rush towards pills, tinctures, and such?

Seaweed/Kelp products are nutritious and have many benefits including iodine, other micro-nutrients, minerals... etc.
                        Why not try adding several servings a week to your diet... then seeing if you still need supplementation.

WHFoods: Sea vegetables

I supplement potassium orally as necessary, as well as consuming potassium rich foods. I need this because potassium depletion is a very significant side effect of a prescription medication I have to take as there is no alternative. Though I do hope that through Paleo/PB I will be able to get away from this medication.
                        I also take D3 because I have tested low for it. I hope to get away from this as well.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I'm with you, Cori. I hate taking supplements, but I think we all get a little lazy, and it's easy to pop a pill or two here or there.

Mark has even said a good quality multi-vitamin is a good idea.

I'm going to see how much I can get kelp chips for at a local Asian market. Hopefully they're not full of CRAP!
                          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                            I'm with you, Cori. I hate taking supplements, but I think we all get a little lazy, and it's easy to pop a pill or two here or there.

Mark has even said a good quality multi-vitamin is a good idea.

I'm going to see how much I can get kelp chips for at a local Asian market. Hopefully they're not full of CRAP!
                            Get a bag of dried wakame or feru wakame, arame, hijiki, or hair vegetable/seaweed (aka black moss)... I most often get the kind that is chopped and looks kind of like whole leaf tea (wakame and hijiki). Sometimes the long noodly looking ones. I'm game to try any of it. A handful will expand to an amount you won't believe! LOL

Don't think of the price (maybe $5-10 for a 50gm bag) as what you are purchasing... a Tbs dried will easily equal at least a half a cup of re-hydrated kelp. It quadruples in size!
                            It's really mild and goes well with most anything once yu get used to the texture, but my favorite is to toss it in some broth, and add shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic if it's a meal, sliced green onions on top... NOM!
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Has anyone tried foraging for seaweed? A bag of Dulse costs a lot of money and there's a whole ocean of seaweed out there. I live on the coast in Southern California. I can take a walk on the beach every day. There's TONS of seaweed washed ashore all the time. I once had a Japanese exchange student living with me and she took a walk on the beach with me one day and pointed to all the different kinds of seaweed. That one's good, that one's really good. She even knew the names in Japanese for them all. You can't go wrong with kelp. It's all edible. The ocean is clean where I live. So I've been thinking about foraging my own seaweed. Has anyone tried this and had success?
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by kiss View Post
                                That could indicate an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. It's so common for autoimmune thyroid disease (which comprises 90% of hypothyroidism in the US) to go undiagnosed or untreated. When it does get diagnosed, it's nearly never adequately or properly treated (which totally sucks!)
                                Have you checked out New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS ? That book will tell you which tests you need, as well as what lab ranges should be used to interpret the results.
                                http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X