Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my initial post I stated that I have an issue with all forms of sodium medically.

The second part where I mention salt is a response to being asked if I had a different response due to the differences in standard table salt and natural salts such as sea salt without additives...

In my comment I was using the common reference for sodium chloride... All "salt" (as the common term as used on food we eat) is NaCl. And I added that the difference is that natural Pink Himalayan and Grey sea salts (I think I have some Hawaiian black salt too etc) have the bonus of minerals, and lack the "silly additives". The "lack silly additives" part is a direct reference to common processed table salt... which I do not, and never have used. In my family we have always used either pure pickling salt or kosher salt... not sea salt, but no additives either(depends on brand these days). In my own house now I use bare minimums of Pink Himalayan, Grey and maybe Black sea salts... and I have some Reef Crystals too! (For a reef of course.)
    Cook's Thesaurus: Salt
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
      The Trolls like PoopBird & her flock will still swoop in to infect it. I have reported Trolls in the past and moderators seem to do nothing.

I have a better idea. All of us who are serious about iodine move over to the Curezone. The moderators over there will NOT tolerate Trolls. They get kicked off the board on their 1st whiney, nit picking, crying post, IMO, Poopbird and her Flock of Trolls could not survive one day at the Curezone.
      Grizz
      Seriously, Grizz, grow up. Poopbird?
      I wouldn't waste my time over at the curezone because it is an echo chamber where preconceived beliefs reinforce each other with no questioning allowed. Go ahead Grizz, you are "safe" from us nasty "trolls" there who actually want to discuss both sides of the issue.

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
      You are reported again ! Lets hope the administrator revokes your membership for being INSULTING, RUDE and a WiseGuy.
      IMO, the administrator needs to start revoking a lot of memberships to eliminate all the RUDENESS that has taken over in this board.
      Grizz
      The guy who uses language like Poopbird is bemoaning insulting rude behavior. Hypocritical much?

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
      It is the trolls who are rude, insulting, demeaning and acting like little children. The rest of us in this thread try to keep high standards.
      I will also not be bringing any more research into this thread. All future research will be reported at the Curezone:
      Grizz
      You and your "high standards" have fun over there.

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
      This thread is for people who actually want to have a balanced discussion about iodine supplementation. It's not and never has been your personal Dr. Brownstein cult thread.
      Thank you.

Originally posted by joe2.0 View Post
      I would vote for deletion. The reason why paleobird, breadsauce, cori and several others were needed here was to provide some desperately needed balance. Calling them trolls for providing that necessary balance is just another example of how far out of whack this thread has gotten.

The thing that concerns me where this thread has gone is that it's essentially a health forum and many people come here in a desperate state of mind looking for answers. Those folk are the one's that really require the "trolls" to come in here and point out that there is some potential danger to what is being represented with Iodine in this thread. This thread runs counter in my mind to Mark's measured, researched and balanced approach and really paints the entire forum in a bad light. Whack this thread and since Grizz etc. are leaving (yeah right) for the curezone utopia, perhaps a more sensible and balanced iodine thread can get going and stand on its own.
      I agree but I would vote against deletion. I think this thread can be very informative and productive.
      Contrary to what Grizz would have you believe, those who are questioning the merits of mega dosing on iodine are doing so because we actually care about the health and safety of others. This is not something I do for giggles. (Although sometimes Grizz and his rants are really good for a laugh.)

Let's see how things develop now that the messiah and his faithful have decamped to other playgrounds. I think this thread can be very useful again.
      Last edited by Paleobird; 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Oxide, no one here is being accused of being a troll because of trying iodine and having a problem with it. The issue is respect for each other and the words and tone used. Saying Curezone can't be trusted is ridiculous.

The iodine naysayers are saying they don't believe in taking large doses, and therefore, no one else should either. They think that large doses are dangerous until proven otherwise by a random, double blind, blah blah study. Which no one will do, because there's no money to be made from iodine, a non-prescription item.
        Last edited by Owl; 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• It's exactly the above tone of Paleobird that is the problem. No one drips more sarcasm than she does.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
            I find this extremely disturbing. EXTREMELY.

What if someone on Curezone tried an N=1 iodine protocol, and for some reason it didn't work for them, and they came back and say it didn't work? Would Curezone call them a "troll" and ban them? (Because, Grizz, this is exactly what you are threatening here.)

If that's what they do, then no wonder Curezone is full of success stories... because they filter out all the failures! Purposely hiding negative results, and then claiming that the positive results are "research," is dangerous, immoral, and possibly illegal. Haven't Pharma companies been sued for stuff like this?

Based on this comment alone, Curezone cannot be trusted.
            An astute observation from a scientific mind. I have always appreciated your approach to things, Oxide.

Originally posted by oxide View Post
            Note that Cori says "sodium," not salt. Note the the medical journal article says "sodium intake," not salt.
            They know that there is confusion in the vocabulary. So, again, I ask you: Are you referring to the "salt" as in the chemical formula NaCl, or the common usage of "salt" as the mixture of stuff evaporated from the ocean?

Apparently the magic hoo-ha sea salters have real trouble with this. But until you make that distinction, your salt posts cannot be trusted.

Wildwabbit, if you really want to be play at nitpicking, the chemical term "salt" refers to ANY nonorganic ionic compound, where the ions could be atomic or compounds. For example, magnesium nitrate is chemically, a salt. It doesn't have to be a chloride or even a halide. (I didn't want to get that detailed in the discussion.)

I am NOT asking that you leave the fillers out! I am asking that you actually USE to term "filler," or "mineral" or "dextrose," or "NaCl." If the fillers are causing problem, fine. But SAY that "the fillers IN Morton salt" are causing problems. Don't say just "salt." Salt is a MIXTURE, and we don't know which component in the mixture that you are referring to.

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            In my initial post I stated that I have an issue with all forms of sodium medically.

The second part where I mention salt is a response to being asked if I had a different response due to the differences in standard table salt and natural salts such as sea salt without additives...

In my comment I was using the common reference for sodium chloride... All "salt" (as the common term as used on food we eat) is NaCl. And I added that the difference is that natural Pink Himalayan and Grey sea salts (I think I have some Hawaiian black salt too etc) have the bonus of minerals, and lack the "silly additives". The "lack silly additives" part is a direct reference to common processed table salt... which I do not, and never have used. In my family we have always used either pure pickling salt or kosher salt... not sea salt, but no additives either(depends on brand these days).
            Interesting discussion about salt. It is important that we get the terminology right.
            The Sea Tangle kelp noodles' only "salt" is sodium alginate which, according to many raw food sites, is really good at detoxing heavy metals out of your system. I don't know if that is true or not. Oxide?

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              In my initial post I stated that I have an issue with all forms of sodium medically.

In my comment I was using the common reference for sodium chloride... All "salt" (as the common term as used on food we eat) is NaCl. And I added that the difference is that natural Pink Himalayan and Grey sea salts (I think I have some Hawaiian black salt too etc) have the bonus of minerals, and lack the "silly additives". The "lack silly additives" part is a direct reference to common processed table salt... which I do not, and never have used. In my family we have always used either pure pickling salt or kosher salt... not sea salt, but no additives either(depends on brand these days). In my own house now I use bare minimums of Pink Himalayan, Grey and maybe Black sea salts... and I have some Reef Crystals too! (For a reef of course.)

He mentions both as he points out himself. I know the difference between salt and sodium and am aware that salts can be made of different compounds. I may not know them all but I'm aware of Potassium Chloride and some others.

I thought he was pretty clear that the sodium is his medical issue and not fillers.
              Height: 6'1"
              Primal start date: July 1st 2011
              Start Weight: 275
              Current Weight: 248
              Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
              Body Fat 25.4%
              Fat Mass 63.721
              Fat Free Mass 74.6%
              Fat Free Mass 187.087
              Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
              Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Owl View Post
                It's exactly the above tone of Paleobird that is the problem. No one drips more sarcasm than she does.
                Except maybe Grizz and his "Poopbird" "they are all TROLLS" comments... ?

All I've done in this thread is present evidence in this thread for those who want to read it, along side the rest of the other info, that supports the alternate idea that lower levels of iodine supplementation are healthy and sufficient, and points out that more isn't always better.
                It's like Vitamin A, you NEED it... but there is such thing as too much. Especially when it comes to taking it in unnatural, concentrated, pill form.
                That's my position, and I've used scientific journal articles to back it up...
                Just like Grizz and others believe in the "Brownstein Potocol", though they don't back it up with science very well, and generally are reduced to shouting "Troll" when asked to...

It's a public forum of shared opinion, we all have a place here.
                I don't know why some people need to feel so stressed about it.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
                  He mentions both as he points out himself. I know the difference between salt and sodium and am aware that salts can be made of different compounds. I may not know them all but I'm aware of Potassium Chloride and some others.

I thought he was pretty clear that the sodium is his medical issue and not fillers.
                  Yeah, sorry about that... I was trying to clear up Wildwabbit's issue with my post.
                  I figure If a person thinks I'm not being specific enough I can at least try to explain why I was just using the common use of the word.

Also... I am insanely jealous when I see people eating salty things...
                  It's like a taboo!
                  But then if I try and taste just one small piece/bite, I'm so sensitive to 'salt' taste now that it feels like my mouth is burning from it.
                  Oh, but I have some really fond memories of salty snacks!
                  Last edited by cori93437; 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM.
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Owl View Post
                    It's exactly the above tone of Paleobird that is the problem. No one drips more sarcasm than she does.
                    Wait, you looked at that post and came away thinking that PaleoBird's tone is the problem? Did you not see the posts from Grizz that she was responding to? Is Grizz supposed to be able to say whatever, and no one is to respond? This is truly bizarro world.
                    LastBottleWines

Comment

• Oh, cori, you probably couldn't eat these SeaSnax that I got recently. That sucks. I love salty things too. When you get all this cleared up, you should try them. They have 40mg sodium per pack.

The Sea Tangle noodles have 35mg per serving (and the serving size is realistic).

Just how restricted does your diet need to be? Did the doctors give you a particular number to stay under?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
                        Wait, you looked at that post and came away thinking that PaleoBird's tone is the problem? Did you not see the posts from Grizz that she was responding to? Is Grizz supposed to be able to say whatever, and no one is to respond? This is truly bizarro world.
                        Yeah I'm not sure I agree that Paleobird's comments are completely out of line. I suppose you could say they just add fuel to the fire...but looks like Grizz is already gone...so maybe a moot point. I don't know...sigh

I know...weak post lol.
                        Body Fat 25.4%
                        Fat Mass 63.721
                        Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                        Fat Free Mass 187.087
                        Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                          It's like Vitamin A, you NEED it... but there is such thing as too much. Especially when it comes to taking it in unnatural, concentrated, pill form.
                          That's my position, and I've used scientific journal articles to back it up...
                          Just like Grizz and others believe in the "Brownstein Potocol", though they don't back it up with science very well, and generally are reduced to shouting "Troll" when asked to...
                          I agree with this wrt iodine and any other supplement. The natural form is easier to absorb and utilize for the body and much less likely to throw other things out of whack and just about impossible to OD on something mother nature intended us to eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                            Bromide Intoxication

Surprisingly, salt alone can help detoxify the bromides. This explains Dr. Brownstein's required supplement of salt every day and his Salt Flush for detox symptoms. We thank Wombat at the Curezone for digging up this valuable wisdom from the past.

Salt Loading Dramatically Accelerates the Eliminatiom of Bromides
                            The most important element of treatment is cessation of bromide exposure. Additional treatment of bromide toxicity has traditionally involved saline loading (administration of large quantities of sodium chloride in water, typically by vein), which enhances kidney excretion of bromide. The chloride ion from sodium chloride competes with and replaces the bromide ion throughout the body. WHILE THE USUAL HALF-LIFE OF BROMIDE (the time for half of the body's complement of bromide to be eliminated) IS 12-14 DAYS (Horowitz, 1997), A HALF-LIFE OF 65 HOURS HAS BEEN CALCULATED WITH SALINE LOADING.
                            DETOX~ ADJUNCT PROTOCOLS~ What is the purpose of salt-loading? Nutrition > Supplements and Products > Iodine and Orthoiodosupplementation FAQ

Grizz
                            Great stuff! That seals the deal for me. I'm going to make sure that I do the salt loading first thing in the morning, an hour or 2 before my iodine. I don't know if the comment by Monica999 that it increases bromide elimination 10 fold is backed up by anything, but Savegrace's story of his receptionist is enough to convince me that the salt is what I've been missing.
                            I've got the good pink himalayan stuff.

Comment

• Can't you get too much Chloride too? I mean is it better to have extra Chloride floating around rather than bromine..or bromide whatever form its in floating around.

So we're talking about the sodium and chloride splitting up and the chloride replaces the bromide ...so you are replacing one thing with another ...this is better? Hmm...

So complicated...!
                              Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM.
                              Body Fat 25.4%
                              Fat Mass 63.721
                              Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                              Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                Oh, cori, you probably couldn't eat these SeaSnax that I got recently. That sucks. I love salty things too. When you get all this cleared up, you should try them. They have 40mg sodium per pack.

The Sea Tangle noodles have 35mg per serving (and the serving size is realistic).

Just how restricted does your diet need to be? Did the doctors give you a particular number to stay under?
                                Bare minimum!
                                The minimum requirement for sodium consumption is about 500mg/day.
                                I try to keep it in the range 500-750 mg.
                                Most of that is found naturally in foods.
                                I've tracked it enough to know that it is really easy to hit that mark even with no additive 'salt'.
                                If I'm not eating many of the foods that I know have a good natural sodium content, I use a scant pinch of natural sea salt.

1500mg is just less than a tsp... so a pinch covers it...
                                In the scale of food consumption the seasnax and sea tangle noodles wouldn't be too bad. As long as I was watching other sources, though I tend to not worry about natural sodium quite as much as additive sodium.
                                Most shellfish would be like hitting me in the head with a sledge hammer though.

I may just have to order up some of the noodles and give them a shot.
                                The seasnax look like an open invitation for me to have a very happy 'too much munching' time ATM.
                                I also love kale chips... but I like them with some saltiness.

Honestly though... when I eat more sodium it makes things go bad pretty quickly... my intracranial pressure rises and squishes my brain and my whole body becomes a very unhappy place.
                                So I tend to self-regulate AWAY from sodium really well.
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X