This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Faumdano View Post
    Kombu is fantastic in any broth -- it's the base of nearly all Japanese cuisine; it doesn't really lend any particular flavour, but rather adds a richness to whatever it's used in. I always add it to my chicken stock and any other soupy dishes.
    Faumdano,
    YAY ! My Kombu just arrived today 5 packages, 2 ounces each. How much should be added to a soup? A whole 2 oz package ? Or less?

Grizz

Comment

• I've tried kombu in the past. I believe the recipes I had said put one or two strips in your soup as it cooks. It stays pretty hard so the recipes said to discard it before eating the soup. Seems like a waste to me but I did find it too hard to eat.

Another good seaweed is hijiki. It's usually really expensive. Looks like black branches. I've had it as a salad with julienne or shredded carrots at vegetarian restaurants and thought it was delicious.

I found some frozen fresh seaweed salad at the Asian market and plan to make a sashimi salad with it. I've had this at a local restaurant and it's really good. The lady at the market said to wash the seaweed well because they put a lot of salt on it. I can see the salt grains. Then she said use sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds. I'll add some sashimi tuna and skip the sugar.

I recently bought some wakame and thought making a bone soup with leftover duck bones and then after straining out the bones, adding some wakame and shitake mushrooms might be good. I'm just making this up in my mind but it just seems like it would go together.

I was reading this old article yesterday and today: Paleo Diet Problems | Free The Animal and there are a few comments in there suggesting that paleo is low in iodine/iodide and that it could contribute to thyroid problems people sometimes see on the paleo diet. (Other things were also listed as possible contributors to thyroid problems, too, like going low-carb too long.) One guy who is a little critical of paleo now, at least low carb paleo, says this:
      2. Hypothyroidism. a) iodide — a paleo diet without adequate seafoods (animal or vegetable) could result in iodide deficiency. Price noted that several of the inland tribes he studied went out of their way to get seaweeds and seafoods, and reported to him that if they did not, they got “big neck” disease, ie goiter. b) too little carbohydrate (can cause decline in thyroid function, as I mentioned in my book). c) do you go by labs or by symptoms? Standard labs values are based on agricultural people. I have not had any decline in lab values, I remain normal, for 10 years paleo. But I maintain a moderate carb intake (100-150 g daily most days) and regularly eat seaweeds or take iodide.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Paleo diets may give more of most of the other vitamines/minerals and thus also increase the need for iodine.
        Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Comment

• Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
          Thanks, but that is also henna. Nothing against henna except that it's messy/muddy and will eventually straighten out my natural curl. I don't have an allergy to PPD (at least yet!), and am looking for a hair coloring system that is non-henna and non-bromide.
          Are you looking at Palette By Nature or the Logona (which is henna)? PBN isn't henna- trust me, I've used henna (and it's super messy!) and PBN is permanent hair dye in liquid form, not henna.
          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• I think his thoughts were that on paleo a lot of people maximize ruminants and maybe don't get enough seafood or seaweed or salt, forgetting that even in paleolithic times inland people likely traded with others for foods from the sea.

Comment

• I got my Norwegian Kelp tablets yesterday... took one in the afternoon and one in the evening (450 mcg total). I am hoping it helps with my mood. I also bought Kelp Granules to use as a salt alternative and Kombu to put the broth I am going to make this weekend.

Comment

• Sorry if this has been addressed before, but what if a person is already on prescription thyroid pills? My DH had all or part of his thyroid removed years ago. From what I have read on this thread, he is exhibiting many of the symptoms of low iodine. Or thyroid. I am confused. He has dry skin, terrible insomnia, prostate problems, to start with. I would love to put him on iodine but since he is already taking Levothyroxin I am not sure I can.

Thanks!
                Gwynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwynn View Post
                  Sorry if this has been addressed before, but what if a person is already on prescription thyroid pills? My DH had all or part of his thyroid removed years ago. From what I have read on this thread, he is exhibiting many of the symptoms of low iodine. Or thyroid. I am confused. He has dry skin, terrible insomnia, prostate problems, to start with. I would love to put him on iodine but since he is already taking Levothyroxin I am not sure I can.

Thanks!
                  Gwynn
                  Gwynn, I think he could try food based forms of iodine. It sounds like he needs to switch to dessicated thyroid or get some compounded T3 to take along with the Levothyroxin, since it sounds like he's not converting T4 to T3. If he still has symptoms like that, his medication isn't doing its job.
                  He should also get his antibodies checked- people can still be experiencing autoimmune attacks even after the thyroid is removed.

Comment

• Jane, thank you very much. After I posted that, I went out and got some kelp capsules. Is Armour dessicated thyroid? He did not do well on Armour at all. I will check into the compounded T3, but that will involve switching doctors since ours is closed-minded to anything other than strictly CW. What do they look for in a antibodies check?

Gwynn

Comment

Jane, thank you very much. After I posted that, I went out and got some kelp capsules. Is Armour dessicated thyroid? He did not do well on Armour at all. I will check into the compounded T3, but that will involve switching doctors since ours is closed-minded to anything other than strictly CW. What do they look for in a antibodies check?

Gwynn
                      Armour has too much cellulose for many... Try to get westeroid(?) or Canadian Erfa instead. Thyroid S from Thailand also has a quite good reputation.

I'd splash out for an iodine loading test and ideally work with a knowledgeable doc... Be aware that if you start with a high dose of iodine it's quite normal to have some detox symptoms in the beginning. (I had clay-like stools and acne - but I started on quite a high dose and it resolved itself quickly when I added b2+b3 as recommended by Dr Brownstein.) And you should ideally supplement selenium for a time first. Doubly important for your DH if he's a poor converter (t4 to t3 requires selenium).

Starting desiccated requires some knowledge - because any unresolved problems with adrenals will quickly surface in the process and will make it a very bumpy ride. But for nearly all I've talked to - it's better in the long run.
                      Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Comment

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but what if a person is already on prescription thyroid pills? My DH had all or part of his thyroid removed years ago. From what I have read on this thread, he is exhibiting many of the symptoms of low iodine. Or thyroid. I am confused. He has dry skin, terrible insomnia, prostate problems, to start with. I would love to put him on iodine but since he is already taking Levothyroxin I am not sure I can.

Thanks!
                        Gwynn
                        Gwynn,
                        The entire body, every cell in the body needs iodine, especially the prostate & brain. Every organ in the body suffers from iodine deficiency. I suggest he do the iodine skin test to see if his medication is providing adequate iodine to his body. If he fails the skin test, then he needs more iodine. Period. Since his thyroid was removed, there is no more worry about THAT.

If I were your hubby and failed the skin test, I would ask (insist) my doctor about supplementing with low dose iodoral until I passed the iodine skin test ( > 24 hours before the iodine stain disappears ). Or else 1 drop of Lugols Iodine Liquid 5% per day until passing the skin test. It is essential for a man to get his bodily reserves of iodine up to optimal.

Ditto for women who are 15 times more likely to develop horrible female problems from an iodine deficiency.
                        For the ladies:
                        * Migraine headaches
                        * Painful periods/heavy periods
                        * pelvic pain
                        * PCOS
                        * endometriosis
                        * Fibroid Tumors
                        * pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
                        * breast pain (fibrous tissue)
                        * Cancers in female breasts & organs
                        Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD - YouTube
                        Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Being iodine deficient is DEADLY SEROUS business as we can see. I say cheat the doctors out of their outrageous revenues by becoming iodine & Vitamin D3 sufficient and eating a strict Paleo diet.

Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• You all are so kind! SMJG, I will make sure he gets that test. Grizz, we will do the skin test tomorrow. I am taking the kelp as well. I have a lot of the symptoms you listed earlier in the thread regarding iodine deficiency.

We will be watching out for detox symptoms. We are already drinking green calcium bentonite clay, and have been going through some detox from that.

Gwynn

Comment

• I'm curious. I noticed you can buy dessicated thyroid on the internet. How is that possible? Don't you have to be prescribed it?

Comment

Jane, thank you very much. After I posted that, I went out and got some kelp capsules. Is Armour dessicated thyroid? He did not do well on Armour at all. I will check into the compounded T3, but that will involve switching doctors since ours is closed-minded to anything other than strictly CW. What do they look for in a antibodies check?

Gwynn
                              A lot of people have issues with the fillers in Armour. There are other brands that don't have the fillers (or he could have it compounded).
                              He should get checked for TPO antibodies- sometimes there can be a little thyroid tissue remaining after they remove it and if the thyroid problems were autoimmune based (many docs never establish that in the first place) than the immune system can still be mounting attacks on it.

I'd find a different doc or practitioner. Someone from the practitioner list over at New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS would be good. They know how to interpret the patterns of thyroid hormones and treat the immune system if that is part of the issue. Many of them work distance if there's no one near you. It's super important to find a doc who is competent because thyroid hormone imbalances affect the whole body- esp. the brain and heart.

Comment

• Wow, some fascinating info here, certainly making me wonder if I am Iodine deficient.

Years ago I was diagnosed with Multinodular goiters on the thyroid. My thyroid blood tests are normal.
                                I dont have any problem with foods containing iodine, however I am allergic to the Iodine contrast given in a C T Scan. ( horrible all over body hives)

Currently I am trying to work out why my sleep is so horrid. I have no trouble getting to sleep, but wake up constantly ( 10+ times a night).
                                Could iodine help me, and is it safe to supplement if I have goiter, or should I ask my Doc? ( He has never told me to do anything to treat the goiter)

Many thanks for any info.

Comment

Working...
                                X