This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    I'm currently on a hunt for haircolor without bromide/bromine. If you know of any brands off the top of your head (pardon the pun), please do recommend.
    If you are a licensed cosmetologist you have access to professional publications. There are ingredient lists for products not found at websites or on packages accessible only for professionals. No real regulations exist for consumer retail products, unfortunately. If you do not eat it, the mfg is free to omit ingredients. Not so for packaging materials for professional use. Another caveat is never buy clones of products sold at discount stores or costco. If a products says it is sold only through salons, do not buy it. It could be repackaged, a total fake, counterfeit labeling, or just way past the use dates. Lots of products do contain botanicals and they can spoil.

So, my first rec is to talk to a hair care pro who is a recent grad of a top notch school. My hair color brand is Joico. I used to use Paul Mitchell but switched shampoo since theirs has wheat protein. I cannot stress enough to avoid the cheap box color. There is a reason that wholesale color costs quadruple what Walmart color costs. If a woman cannot afford a stylist then maybe she can find someone who can help her learn to DIY only with the best stuff out there. European color lines have no bromide. It's illegal there, same as in their bread flours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
      I definitely notice more energy, and a willingness to just get up and move on the days I use iodine.
      I do not think it is a coincidence or your imagination. I stopped taking mine and reverted into the same old slump as before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snauzoo View Post
        If you are a licensed cosmetologist you have access to professional publications. There are ingredient lists for products not found at websites or on packages accessible only for professionals. No real regulations exist for consumer retail products, unfortunately. If you do not eat it, the mfg is free to omit ingredients. Not so for packaging materials for professional use. Another caveat is never buy clones of products sold at discount stores or costco. If a products says it is sold only through salons, do not buy it. It could be repackaged, a total fake, counterfeit labeling, or just way past the use dates. Lots of products do contain botanicals and they can spoil.

So, my first rec is to talk to a hair care pro who is a recent grad of a top notch school. My hair color brand is Joico. I used to use Paul Mitchell but switched shampoo since theirs has wheat protein. I cannot stress enough to avoid the cheap box color. There is a reason that wholesale color costs quadruple what Walmart color costs. If a woman cannot afford a stylist then maybe she can find someone who can help her learn to DIY only with the best stuff out there. European color lines have no bromide. It's illegal there, same as in their bread flours.
        Thank you. I've had Joico color on my hair before, and it was the best and longest lasting ever. All I'm finding in the US is henna, and I've been down that road before. It's a great road, but it straightens out natural curl among other issues with application.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snauzoo View Post
          Grizz,
          First, thanks for all this. Good resources.

When I saw my endo one of the things I was asked is if my voice was raspy.

I asked a recent graduate of a very high end hair stlylist school who also happens to be an expert on environmental contamination abatement about bromine. She was well aware of it as an environmental toxin, and in hair care products. Here is what I discovered. That cheap box color sold in chain stores has actually worse things than bromine compounds in it. High quality professional hair color doe not contain bromine or any metallic salts. So, it is not necessary to go gray, ladies, but get a professional. And read labels. I went to a grocery store yesterday and checked labels on some hair color. Some semi permanent colors do nothave it. Good news!

Grizz, I bought this product since it is odorless, tasteless and easy to add to any beverage. What is your experience or opinion?
          Liquid Mineral Supplements, Odor Free and Taste Free:Liquid Iodine, INDIVIDUAL MINERALS
          snauzoo,
          Thanks for the update on hair coloring.

1 tablespoon for a pitiful 150mcg? You need 500 to 1,000mcg =1mg per Dr. Davis. You will need 6 tablespoons per serving, and then you get ony 6 servings for $20. I think that is a VERY expensive way to go.

Just 1 drop of Lugols gives you all the iodine & iodide that you need, ditto 1 iodoral capsule. Iodoral is tasteless, too.

Grizz

Comment

• This video by Dr. Terry Wahls can be an inspiration to all of us ! She cured her Stage 2 Multiple Sclerosis with diet only and PLENTY OF SEAWEED!

This is a MUST SEE video for all:
            TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

ALSO THIS:
            Iodine Food Chart (List of Foods High in Iodine):

Seaweed, dried, 1/4 ounce - (apx. 4,500 mcg - 4.5 mg)
            Cod 3 ounces - (99 mcg)
            Salt, iodized, 1 gram - (77 mcg)
            Potato, with peel, baked, 1 medium - (60 mcg)
            Milk, cow's, 1 cup - (56 mcg)
            Shrimp 3 ounces - (35 mcg)
            Fish sticks 2 fish sticks - (35 mcg)
            Turkey breast, baked, 3 ounces - (34 mcg)
            Navy beans, cooked, 1/2 cup - (32 mcg)
            Tuna, canned in oil, 3 ounces ~1/2 can - (17 mcg)
            Egg, boiled, 1 large - (12 mcg)
            http://www.everynutrient.com/iodine.html

ONLY Seaweed ( as a food) can give us adequate iodine for good health. Otherwise, Lugols Iodine Solution or iodroal are the best bet.
            Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Just a quick note to those of you planning to gather up armfuls of seawood - in many areas, it's illegal to remove anything from public beaches, so either find another source or be very aware of your surroundings...
              Durp.

Comment

• There is a brand of permanent color called Palette By Nature- I believe it's the only truly natural permanent hair color on the market (it's the only one that doesn't have any PPD). Hair Color - The Nature of Beauty (Page 2)

My mother tried it and the results were really nice. It's a bit trickier to work with than regular dye, but here is a guide to using it: The Nature of Beauty Blog: Introducing Palette By Nature (with my own personal review)
                http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Anyone try Seagreens? I got the food granules (just dried and ground, sprinkle on food like salt) a long time ago and started using it recently.
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Good article on iodine:
                    Iodine: the Next Vitamin D? Part I | Longevity and Aging Research Articles | Longevity Medicine Review
                    Including a good chart over co-factors in the process of making thyroid hormones and a rating of different seaweeds by their iodine content.
                    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Comment

• @MamaGrok,
                      Thanks for the heads up on Seagreens. I will be ordering some, have added your recommendation to my notes. The $100 worth of seaweed that I ordered from Amazon should be arriving any day now, and I will be reporting my experience. I clicked on one of the panels & found this:
                      Health problems caused by lack of Iodine are many and include hypothyoidism. The most common early symptoms are mental and physical fatigue, weakness, weight gain or over-weight, and depression. One or more of these symptoms usually appear later; poor memory, slow thought process, drowsiness, slow speech, thinning of eyebrows, hoarseness, poor circulation, dry and flaky skin, decreased taste and smell, menstrual irregularities, skin thickening, puffy face, puffy hands and feet, swelling of extremities, overall swelling, muscle spasms, muscle atrophy, joint stiffness. Hypothyroidism increases the risk of elevated cholesterol levels, heart disease and diabetes (diabetes mellitus). This occurs even by moderately decreased thyroid production. A lack of iodine intake during pregnancy and early childhood results in impaired cognitive and motor development in young children. The health benefits of Iodine can also improve the condition of hair, skin, nails and teeth.
                      Seagreens Iodine +
                      @smgi,
                      SHOCKING article - thanks for the contribution.
                      This paragraph screams, "Don't Waste Money Testing Blood Until After Your Body is Iodine Sufficient"
                      Recent evidence that perchlorate contamination of food and water is a widespread phenomenon has let to attempts to evaluate its effects on thyroid function in the general population. Analysis of the NHANES 2001-2002 revealed relationships between urinary perchlorate levels, urinary iodine levels, serum TSH, and serum T4 levels in adult men and women.31

Among women in the NHANES subset, 36% had low urine iodine levels (<100 mcg/L), which, since the NHANES subset is representative of the general population, translates to 2.2 million women nationwide. Perchlorate contamination, as little as 5 ppb, was associated with elevations of TSH and decreased serum T4 in the entire subset of 1,111 women, regardless of their iodine status. In women with low urine iodine levels (<100 mcg/L , which indicates iodine deficiency), perchlorate levels of 5 ppb were associated with a 16% decrease in T4 levels and elevation of TSH levels, consistent with inhibition of iodide uptake. In women with urine iodine levels <100 mcg/L, the group at highest risk of insufficient iodine for thyroid hormone production, exposure to 5 ppb perchlorate could theoretically result in subclinical hypothyroidism. (Subclinical hypothyroidism is currently defined as an elevated TSH with T3 and T4 levels within normal reference ranges.)31,34
                      http://www.lmreview.com/articles/vie...amin-d-part-I/
                      Here are my notes on seaweed to help me purchase this stuff. I know NOTHING about seaweeds, I'm learning along with everyone else.
                      * plain Nori sheets.

* Nori tastes way better to me in the toasted salted versions than just the plain sushi sheets.

* Kombu next time... it is the bacon of the ocean... YUM you would like Kombu. It comes dried and hard, but you can soak it in water and warm it up in some butter, bacon fat, etc. and it tastes like bacon. It is delicious! It doesn't taste like what you think of as seaweed

* I LOVE SeaSnax toasted seaweed sheets. They are salted and have a small amount of olive oil. Delicious. I ate several packages the first day I tried them! (pre reset)

* Fueru Wakame Dried Seaweed. 1 pound for $3.99. I put a 3/4 cup of the dried with water and it exploded into 5-6 cups of hydrated seaweed. Wow. It is pretty good with hot water as a soup by itself. Somewhat salty. I plan on making some brothe tonight and will add the hydrated. First experience with seaweed. I like it.- Dextery

* Seagreens (MamaGrok)
                      Seagreens

@Coiander,
                      thanks for the Salt Flush Guidelines to help rid our bodies of bromine contamination:
                      Salt Loading Protocol for Possible Bromide Side Effects

Orthoiodosupplementation induced and increased mobilization of bromine from storage sites,
                      with increased urinary excretion of bromide. --Guy Abraham, MD

Certain iodine-literate doctors feel the bromide excreted by iodine therapy can be eliminated
                      more efficiently by the chloride present in mineral-rich unprocessed sea salt. The salt is added
                      to water in a specific way. Eating salty food is not effective. Table salt is only used in an
                      emergency.

Many iodine takers found the Salt Loading Protocol devised by Dr. William Shevin (and
                      presented at the February '07 Iodine Conference) to be effective in eliminating the side effects
                      such as bromide sedation, acne, brain fog, brassy taste, mouth sores, frontal headache or other
                      symptoms which occur in a small percentage of patients.

* 1/4 teaspoon [natural] salt dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water. Follow immediately with 12-16 oz
                      pure water.
                      * Repeat in 30-45 minutes if needed. May repeat again until copious urination begins.
                      * Observe subjective response (usually within several hours).
                      * Iodine Investigation Project participants have found 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in the
                      recommended amount of water works faster than the 1/4 teaspoon dosage.
                      * Pulse dosing of iodine has often helped our participants with detox symptoms: taking a 48
                      hour break from iodine supplementation as needed seems to enhance the kidneys' ability to
                      excrete bromide. These are only our observations as educated patients. Consult your own
                      physician about your particular iodine regimen.

No consensus exists on how important the salt loading may be to an iodine
                      therapy strategy if the patient does not have adverse symptoms.

Be sure to ask your doctor before implementing salt loading or any medical
                      strategy.
                      http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html
                      Grizz
                      Last edited by Grizz; 02-03-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Next time I make broth I might add Kombu to it. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                          There is a brand of permanent color called Palette By Nature- I believe it's the only truly natural permanent hair color on the market (it's the only one that doesn't have any PPD). Hair Color - The Nature of Beauty (Page 2)

My mother tried it and the results were really nice. It's a bit trickier to work with than regular dye, but here is a guide to using it: The Nature of Beauty Blog: Introducing Palette By Nature (with my own personal review)
                          Thanks, but that is also henna. Nothing against henna except that it's messy/muddy and will eventually straighten out my natural curl. I don't have an allergy to PPD (at least yet!), and am looking for a hair coloring system that is non-henna and non-bromide.

Comment

• Kombu is fantastic in any broth -- it's the base of nearly all Japanese cuisine; it doesn't really lend any particular flavour, but rather adds a richness to whatever it's used in. I always add it to my chicken stock and any other soupy dishes.
                            Primal food in Japan

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                              @MamaGrok,

Here are my notes on seaweed to help me purchase this stuff. I know NOTHING about seaweeds, I'm learning along with everyone else.
                              * plain Nori sheets.

* Nori tastes way better to me in the toasted salted versions than just the plain sushi sheets.

* Kombu next time... it is the bacon of the ocean... YUM you would like Kombu. It comes dried and hard, but you can soak it in water and warm it up in some butter, bacon fat, etc. and it tastes like bacon. It is delicious! It doesn't taste like what you think of as seaweed

* I LOVE SeaSnax toasted seaweed sheets. They are salted and have a small amount of olive oil. Delicious. I ate several packages the first day I tried them! (pre reset)

* Fueru Wakame Dried Seaweed. 1 pound for $3.99. I put a 3/4 cup of the dried with water and it exploded into 5-6 cups of hydrated seaweed. Wow. It is pretty good with hot water as a soup by itself. Somewhat salty. I plan on making some brothe tonight and will add the hydrated. First experience with seaweed. I like it.- Dextery

* Seagreens (MamaGrok)
                              Seagreens
                              Thanks for sharing the seaweed info. I'm going to have to try some of this Kombu...

Comment

• Sea vegetables are something that we in NA really miss out on -- they're all fantastic and have a variety of textures and flavours:

nori, ao nori, aosa, wakame, hijiki, kombu, mozuku, umi budou, kanten, mekabu and tororo kombu are the common ones that I see and eat on a daily basis here in Japan.
                                Primal food in Japan

Comment

Working...
                                X