Another Rate My Smoothie Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Rate My Smoothie Thread

Hi all, here's my standard go to smoothie for the mornings I feel like breakfasts, what do you think?

3 ice cubes
    1/3 cup mixed frozen berries
    1/2 avocado
    1 banana
    2 scoops whey protein powder OR 1 raw egg
    270ml can of coconut milk
    2 tsp cinnamon

Thoughts?
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Sounds delicious. Maybe add a little nutmeg? I would go with the egg over the protein powder but there is a wide range of opinions on that.

Some people may also tell you that you are overdoing the fruit but that may or may not be true depending on your weight loss/fitness goals.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

1 egg = 6g protein & 5g fat
      2 scoops of protein = around 40g protein & 3g fat

I wouldn't consider the two interchangeable.

Comment

Hadnt thought about nutmeg! Will give it a try, thanks!
        Buzz71
        Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net

Comment

Hi everyone

I just entered my primal smoothie into to paleotrack, substituting the raw egg for the protein powder. Fat content was great but I was alarmed at how high carb it was, over 50g! You can see the full nutritional profile here:

Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack

This seems pretty counterproductive! Anything I could change to make it better?
          Buzz71

Comment

I'd bet about half of the carbs is the banana

Banana Nutrition

Comment

Hmmm, taking out the banana really kills the taste a bit!
              Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
                Hmmm, taking out the banana really kills the taste a bit!
                Try adding more berries and/or some vanilla extract.
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Good idea. I just made one now for lunch since I have been IF since yesterday. Tomorrow I might try the vanilla extract instead of banana. I get a little heavy handed on the cinnamon too
                  Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                    Try adding more berries and/or some vanilla extract.
                    Agree. 100 g of frozen raspberries will only yield 7-8 g of carb, and packs a punch in the flavour stakes.

If I make a protein smoothie for breakfast, I just use frozen raspberries, a bit of coconut cream, iced water and plain, grass-fed protein powder. I'm sure you could still add your avocado and it would taste good. Your original recipe sounds like it makes an ENORMOUS breakfast - you must have a bigger appetite than I do!
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I had one about 90 mins ago .... and I'm just starting to feel a little hungry again
                      Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                        Agree. 100 g of frozen raspberries will only yield 7-8 g of carb, and packs a punch in the flavour stakes.
                        I thought I read somewhere berries should only be done in small batches, like a handful?
                        Buzz71

Comment

I had one about 90 mins ago .... and I'm just starting to feel a little hungry again
                          If I don't have time to eat, I'm feeling lazy or I just want a cold ice cream/smoothie like think to eat I chuck a whole avocado, approx 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup or so of coconut milk/cream, whey powder, a sprinkle of cinnamon and few drops of vanilla and a little water into the trustee magic bullet and bob's your uncle! Delish and keeps me going for hours
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I thought I read somewhere berries should only be done in small batches, like a handful?
                            I use 60-70 g per shake - that's under 5 g carb.
                            = Bugger all!
                            Nothing wrong with a few berries.
                            I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Great - I might try without banana, more berries and add some vanilla essence for some variety.

That said ... I was only 65g carbs yesterday, so maybe the banana isn't such a bad thing
                              Buzz71

Comment

Working...
                              X