Do we need fruits and veggies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need fruits and veggies

So I have been sound a lot of research on a zero carb diet. Those who fallow the diet claim we don't need to eat fruits and veggies at all. I then asked them what about the vitamins and minerals. I was told that they are healthier then they ever have been on a zero carb diet without the fruits and veggies. So is it possible to get everything our body requires from meat and no glfruits and veggies?

I have no idea but I would think the the alkalinity of the veggies goes well with the meat.
    I Love my meat and love my veggies so why give them up when they taste so good and are working for me!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

yeah, everyone's going to trot out the inuits and steffason, but here's the thing.... what's the point? why cut out fruit & vegetables? that sounds so boring, i might kill myself.

i think most of the zero-carb crowd have borderline eating disorders. they generally get off on the idea of the weight loss claims (no carbs! no insulin! i can eat everything i want in some weird, unhealthy relationship with food & yet gain no weight!), and then just pretend to do it for 'great health.' are you on that charles washington blog?

really... who out there hates the taste of all vegetables and fruits? what's the point of cutting them all out? it's either ridiculous carb paranoia, or i just don't get it.

Comment

Yes I was on the Charles Washington blog. One guy was trying to give me advice and he looked like he hasn't slept in days he had the darkest circles under his eyes

Comment

I tried VLC or ZC. It wasn't horrible. The one thing I learned is that I LIKE fruits and veggies. At the same time I learned that it's also ok to eat just a hunk of meat and eggs for dinner and skip the veg if I don't feel like it.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by irishhandgrenade View Post
            So I have been sound a lot of research on a zero carb diet. Those who fallow the diet claim we don't need to eat fruits and veggies at all. I then asked them what about the vitamins and minerals. I was told that they are healthier then they ever have been on a zero carb diet without the fruits and veggies. So is it possible to get everything our body requires from meat and no glfruits and veggies?
            one of my friends tries ZC, and she lost her period for one year.

I think it's because we need some carbs from fruit and veggies. I'll never try ZC, bcoz i don't wanna
            explain to others from time to time why I don't eat fruit and veggie.
            Nothing you can't do once you believe that you can.

SW:120lb
            CW:116lb
            GW:110lb

Comment

If you do it you need to eat the whole animal - head to tail including liver, bone marrow, adrenal gland, thymus and maybe brain. I think if you ate all organ meats you could probably get away with it, but I suspect that for the majority of our evolutionary time span we ate as omnivores and are adapted to the intake of nutrients from fruits and veggies as well.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                If you do it you need to eat the whole animal - head to tail including liver, bone marrow, adrenal gland, thymus and maybe brain. I think if you ate all organ meats you could probably get away with it, but I suspect that for the majority of our evolutionary time span we ate as omnivores and are adapted to the intake of nutrients from fruits and veggies as well.
                this sounds about right to me....
                Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  That's how Steffanson ate (whole animal) especially during his one-year trial where he was monitored in a hospital and his health was great, along with that of his co-subject.

Like others said, I too dabbled for a short while but I didn't love it. It's fun for a little while, but for me at least, it was difficult to maintain. It's quite hard, when you often eat with others, to only eat protein and fat. Especially because my gf loves veggies and loves making them, so I didn't want to turn down her stuff.

I also don't think it's good to be in a constant state of ketosis, and to have your body create its own glucose through gluconeogenesis. Being an active young-ish male, I'd rather supply my body with non-toxic carbs. I don't see the harm in that and allows for variety.

At the same time, I'm not afraid to have a few carnivorous days, they happen a lot more spontaneously than all-veggie days (which I never ever plan for. I kind of get scared if I don't have protein to eat)

More on topic: we don't NEED most fruits, we can do without most veggies as well BUT that doesn't mean we should. At the very least, I'd make an effort to eat leafy greens, colorful peppers, onions, garlic, etc... you don't need iceberg lettuce for instance, but you should eat kale.

Also keep in mind that the indigenous cultures that get thrown around as proof of a healthy zero carb diet have no choice but to eat zero carb. Who's to say they wouldn't be healthier if they included some plant matter, were it available to them I'm certain they would, if only to diversify. Humans like options.... a lot. Just look at our supermarkets! Lastly, one of the big names in zero carb world is "The Bear" who many times said anything outside of the animal world was poisonous... this is also the man that made LSD a huge thing in America, and made plenty of it, sometimes being high for days as a result. I have never done LSD, but his mental health may not have been intact following many years of contact with that type of drug. I'm not saying his mental health suffered, but I'm sure it was different enough to think that way of plants...
                  Last edited by iniQuity; 12-28-2011, 06:40 AM.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I don't eat fruit and the only veggies I eat are salad greens a couple times a week. I could go meat only no problem but don't mind salad. I take a multivitamin so I don't think I'm really missing much as far as nutrients go.
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

iniQuity, I'm pretty sure that Bear was very fond of plants, he just preferred to smoke them rather than eat them.

Comment

Possible but not easily attainable. It appears that we are natural omnivores. I can't live without veg but I can live without fruit for weeks on the trot.
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I have been considering trying some slightly more extreme carb cycling - which I would guess is really how we evolved, if that matters.

I would like to boost my energy and I think I feel a little better in ketosis. But I don't think VLC is ideal in the long term. Maybe VLC for one week, high carb for a few days? I like the fact that now I eat anything I want whenever, but it might be worth regulating things a bit more if I could bump up my energy.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I think the supposed need for vegetables is all because of cw and vegetarian propaganda. Some of you claim you can't live without vegetables. Really?
                            Primal Chaos
                            37yo 6'5"
                            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                            current 338lbs 49" waist
                            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Do you NEED fruits and vegetables? No. There is absolutely no physical need for fruits and vegetables for humans.

However, there is a physical need for some of the nutrients inside fruits and vegetables because they are absent in muscle meat. If you like the idea of eating heads, brains, eyes, marrow, liver, kidneys, heart, stomach lining, intestines and all the inner goodies of a very wide variety of animals, you can get away with not eating any fruits and vegetables. Personally, that's not for me and I'd rather just eat fried kale and cabbage. And I happen to like fruits and vegetables. I don't have an appetite for eyes, brain and kidneys, though I would be open to trying it just to say I've tried it.

You would have to intensely research a fruit-and-vegetable-free diet to make sure you do it correctly. Also, be aware that it is not a ZERO carb diet. There's no such thing. Organ meats have a carbohydrate content, and you'll need them to live if you exclude all plants. There are more carbs in liver than in eggs.

That being said, I do think the Primal Blueprint overemphasizes fibrous vegetables. Personal experience has lead me to believe we do better with less fiber than more, and if the average PB'er is eating 100g of carbs a day, we'd be better off removing 50g of carbs from vegetables and replacing it with 50g of carbs from starch. I've been trying to replace leafy greens on low carb days with things like carrots, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, peppers, squash and other lower fiber carbs and it's made a significant difference with my digestion - for the better. The roughest week I've had on my digestive system was when I had the bright idea to make a salad out of raw kale, cabbage and endive every day for a week. Holy shit. Or lack thereof. If you think sugar bloat is bad, try fiber bloat.
                              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-29-2011, 06:46 AM.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X