Duck fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck fat

I tried doing a search for this but wasn't too fruitful.

I am thinking of obtaining some duck fat for use. Aside from rendering my own, does anyone have suggestions on a good(clean) source to purchase some that they use?

I've bought duck fat from D'Artagnan and Amazon but they each have soybean added to it. Why? I do not know. But it's really easy to make your own- roast a duck, pour off fat into a ball jar and voila. I have a large ball jar that couldn't contain the fat from two ducks.

Comment

I use Grimaud Farms.

Comment

Originally posted by seashells View Post
        I've bought duck fat from D'Artagnan and Amazon but they each have soybean added to it. Why? I do not know. But it's really easy to make your own- roast a duck, pour off fat into a ball jar and voila. I have a large ball jar that couldn't contain the fat from two ducks.
        This. Last time I roasted a duck, I got two cups of fat. And I got to eat a duck.

Comment

Just want to add.... duck fat makes the BEST I SAY THE BEST mash potatos or whipped cauliflower

Comment

You guys do make a good case for rendering my own. I do love duck, just need to learn how to cook it.

Comment

I posted a duck recipe a long time ago. But it still rules.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread16625.html

-CC

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwarehank View Post
                You guys do make a good case for rendering my own. I do love duck, just need to learn how to cook it.
                Whats to learn? Put in a dish, stick in hot oven until done. I scored the skin, to help the fat drain off. But short of overcooking or under cooking it, its really hard to ruin a bird.

Comment

Alright, next time I'm at the co-op I'll grab one

Comment

Does store bought duck taste better than the liver with wings that I shoot on occasion? Not only is it very lean, but it tastes like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by tcb View Post
                      Does store bought duck taste better than the liver with wings that I shoot on occasion? Not only is it very lean, but it tastes like ass.
                      Well, either it's been eating yucky stuff (like seaweed and things, mallards that migrate along the coast often do) or you're cooking it wrong. Wild duck IS leaner, and benefits from low, slow cooking rather than the toasty roasting you do with a domestic duck. The best way I've found to cook wild waterfowl is actually a stew - first poach the bird very slowly (at a bare simmer) in seasoned water (ie, salt, pepper, bay leaf), then when it's really tender (about 2 hrs) just take all the meat off the bones and refrigerate it. Add the bones and skin back to the poaching water and simmer for a few hours longer, until it's reduced to a point that the salt level is nice for eating. Strain out the solids and discard, and chill the liquid. Lift the fat off the top when it's chilled. Use what you need to sautee some veg, then add the meat and defatted stock back in. Heat to a simmer, add whatever herbs and spices you want, serve and enjoy! You'll probably even have some leftover fat for potatoes.

I suffered through my mom's roast wildfowl (which, to be fair, were not always leathery and chewy - sometimes my dad shot young and tender ones, and the geese were usually good) for 20 years before learning to cook them for myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X