Does IF lose fat indeed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does IF lose fat indeed?

i am a new here. I am thinking of doing 16-hour IF twice a week: 7pm (after dinner) - 12am (skip next breakfast, but have next lunch).

Are you sure that IF can lose fat? Does anybody have any experience of losing body fat but not muscle by doing IF?
    Nothing you can't do once you believe that you can.

SW:120lb
    CW:116lb
    GW:110lb

I saw good results IFing, and lost fat, not muscle. I don't IF much atm, but will do it again soon.

Comment

We really can't tell what works for you

Try it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Bissen View Post
        We really can't tell what works for you

Try it out!
        don't wanna take the risk.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html

Comment

Originally posted by hxl2012 View Post
            i am a new here. I am thinking of doing 16-hour IF twice a week: 7pm (after dinner) - 12am (skip next breakfast, but have next lunch).

Are you sure that IF can lose fat? Does anybody have any experience of losing body fat but not muscle by doing IF?
            how much thinking have you done? whenever i see this type of statement i generally assume that the person has watched someone else and wants the same results. Is my assumption inaccurate?

All of my progress has been made by trying one or two things different and then measuring the results. As has already been stated, no one but you knows how your body works. The safe assumption is that you are human and thus fall under the rules of circadian rythym, however that could be broken I suppose.

why would you do that? who said it awa a good idea? i am not saying it is a bad idea, i just want to know what you are thinking
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Fasting

I'm new to this forum, but not to fasting. My husband and I have done fasting in the past. We have done 2-3 day fasts. We do juice fasts, which in my opinion is a bit healthier then just water.

But if you are to stick with a Paleo diet or hunter/gather diet then I would think some fasting would be involved. Its not like are ancestors had grocery stores around every corner like we do today. So I'm sure they fasted from time to time, as food wasn't available all the time. But I would think for them it wasn't a choice.

So I think fasting is not a bad ideal. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, short quick fasts. But weather your body will respond to what you want it to do is another thing. The only way to know like some have said it test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kudos2Fly View Post
                We do juice fasts, which in my opinion is a bit healthier then just water.
                Do you mean vegetable juice? From my understanding of fasting for fat burning purposes, drinking fruit juice would greatly hinder any potential fat loss... I tend to avoid fruit juices all together, but that's just me

Comment

I've found it works quite well for me, 3 times a week combined with heavy lifting/weights during IF mornings.. I find it's also quite a good motivational tool for making sure you get out there in the morning and work out - that way your 12pm lunch feels more rewarding

Comment

Check out Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health there is a bevvy of info on why you will not lose muscle and only lose fat. But, as others have said, you have to try it for yourself.
                    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I do an IF every Tuesday (we call it "Fast Tuesday" around here). I have lost 50 pounds so far in 3-1/2 months. and I feel like Superman the next day. I do dinner to dinner when I do it. Using the 7.5 hours of sleep time makes it easier! I have a fellow employee who does it too. Plus, I always manage to skip at least a couple of meals over the weekend - it drives my wife nuts!!!
                      Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
                      2/16/13 at 241 pounds
                      Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

I fast every day for anywhere from 14-20 hours. I have recently been experimenting with extending my fasts to a daily 18-20 hours from the 16 hours I was doing, since I still have some body fat to lose. So far I feel great (it's been about 4 days) and I've noticed decreased bloating (a more "cut" look) and better digestion (particularly more regular "movements"). My energy is good and I feel good despite my food choices not being the best the past few weeks with all the holiday feasting and treats being around the time.

What really helps me also is to go for a short walk whenever I start feeling hungry. If I really need food, my body won't let me forget, but if I just want to eat at a certain time out of habit, walking a bit shakes the feeling off and then I go back to what I was doing. Works pretty well for avoiding mindless or habitual eating.

I also find that it is WAY easier to maintain willpower in the face of bad food options, if I just say "I am not eating anything until 4PM." It removes the whole need for choosing between bad and good food options.
                        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I've been intermittent fasting on a daily basis for the past month (not always the same thing; sometimes it's 24 hour/dinner-to-dinner, sometimes 8/16 skipping breakfast, sometimes 20 hour fasting with a 4 hour eating window). Now, it feels weird and a little uncomfortable to eat 3 meals a day - my body feels so much more efficient eating in a shorter window of time.

I've lost 6-7 lbs since IFing during the past month, and I'm sure what I lost was fat, not water or muscle for a two reasons:

1) I was already strict paleo for 6 months, so already in a state of low/no liver glycogen. Hence, I don't think I lost water weight.

2) I've been able to INCREASE ALL the weights I'm using at the gym (including assisted chin-ups - I now only need to compensate with 50lbs instead of 60lbs, so either my muscle mass increased substantially, or I'm lifting up 10 lbs less fat, or a combination).

Comment

don't wanna take the risk.
                            What risk is that?
                            cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
                            2/20/11: 210
                            9/19/11: 185.5
                            goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
                              What risk is that?
                              If I lose muscle instead of fat, why try I take this risk?

Comment

Working...
                              X