Good jerky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good jerky

Can anyone recommend some good quality, good tasting beef jerky? A lot of the ones that seem decent taste horrible, they have a very fake taste to them and usually give me indigestion. The ones I've tried that taste good have a lot of crap in them. The 365 brand best I've found for quality and taste, but even that has some garbage in it.

Great question, I would like to know, also! I'm looking for something quality yet affordable. Recipes to make your own would be great, also
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Comment

Make your own

You can use cheap cuts of beef, like brisket or even heart, and it tastes great.
      I use a food dehydrator, but I know people who use an electric oven on its lowest setting over night and also one who uses a box wrack with a light bulb inside it, but that takes a couple of days to dry the meat.

I thinly slice the meat, to 3 or 4 mm, some times thicker if I want some big chewy chunks, then soak for a few hours/overnight in a couple of table spoons of tamari sauce and lots of black pepper &/or chill flakes. Then whack in the dehydrator and leave over night. Job Done!

Make in bulk and I have enough to last me a couple of weeks, the biggest problem is having enough containers to store it all
      Last edited by Misabi; 12-21-2011, 05:41 PM.
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Here are a couple of good places to get grass fed jerky...

Gourmet Natural Beef Jerky & Snack Sticks

Canyon Meadows Ranch Grass Fed Beef Jerky: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

I also make my own. I buy english roasts when they go on sale buy one get one free at my grocery (I know grass fed is better, but I'm working within a budget and need to feed my family) slice thin and marinate in Worcestershire sauce and tamari with some garlic, onion, pepper overnight. I do use a dehydrator, but I used to just lay it over the oven racks and dry on the lowest setting with the door open a crack. I don't recomend letting it go over night though, some pieces will dry faster than others so you'll need to check it every hour after about 4-5 hrs depending on how hot your setup is.

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
            Make your own

You can use cheap cuts of beef, like brisket or even heart, and it tastes great.
            I use a food dehydrator, but I know people who use an electric oven on its lowest setting over night and also one who uses a box wrack with a light bulb inside it, but that takes a couple of days to dry the meat.

I thinly slice the meat, to 3 or 4 mm, some times thicker if I want some big chewy chunks, then soak for a few hours/overnight in a couple of table spoons of tamari sauce and lots of black pepper &/or chill flakes. Then whack in the dehydrator and leave over night. Job Done!

Make in bulk and I have enough to last me a couple of weeks, the biggest problem is having enough containers to store it all
            +1 for DIY jerky. I use either heart (when I can get it) or venison flank steak. The key is to get a really lean cut of meat. I make mine South African "biltong" style. You soak the thin strips of meat in apple cider vinegar overnight then spice them however you want and dehydrate in the oven or a dehydrator. The traditional S. AFrican spice mix is 1/3 each salt, pepper, and coriander.

Comment

Hmmm... I have a beef heart in my freezer that I've been afraid to do anything with, maybe jerky is my answer!

Comment

Originally posted by amandalw1 View Post
                Hmmm... I have a beef heart in my freezer that I've been afraid to do anything with, maybe jerky is my answer!
                Oooooh yes. Let it defrost a bit but then slice it cross grain when it is still a little frozen. this makes it "hold still" for being sliced a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  Oooooh yes. Let it defrost a bit but then slice it cross grain when it is still a little frozen. this makes it "hold still" for being sliced a bit better.
                  +1 also you can't tell that it's heart meat when it's jerky.
                  Some people don't like the texture of the cooked heart meat, it's kind of like a cross between liver and steak.
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    The key is to get a really lean cut of meat.
                    Ive read this a few times, but I've never really worried to much about it. I find the fatty parts are great
                    I can understand if you're drying meat for long term storage, but it never lasts long enough in my house for the fat to turn rancid =D

Comment

I make my own too! I use round steak, sliced thin and marinated in tamari with lots of black pepper and some ginger. I dehydrate with my own homemade contraption on a box fan with screens on top. (Google Alton Brown dehydrator.) In a pinch, I buy tanka bars, as it's the only thing I can find with no nasty ingredients like wheat (soy sauce) or corn syrup solids.

Comment

I make my own from beef heart($2 a pound grass-fed can't beat that) on my Nasco dehydrator(around 60 bucks on Amazon).

For about 4-6 pounds of heart I'll do:

1 cup of tamari
                        1/2 cup of worchestshire(read the labels! HFCS in a lot of storebought brands. I use Lea & Perrins but even they put HFCS in their "classic" bottle")
                        1/4 cup of liquid smoke(read the labels! Sometimes they dump HFCS and coloring into this stuff)
                        1 tbsp sea salt
                        1 tbsp ground black pepper
                        2 tbsp cayenne pepper(or less or more or none depending on your tastes, I even like to toss in a tablespoon of pepper flakes)
                        1 tbsp garlic powder
                        1 tbsp onion powder
                        a couple cloves of fresh minced/crushed garlic(I loves me some garlic)
                        1-2 tbsp of raw honey(optional but it helps to balance out the flavor)

Mix together and dump it in a bag with the sliced heart and marinate overnight, jostle the bag halfway through for even marinating.

Depending on how thin you slice it and what temp you set it at(I go the lowest as to not cook the ingredients) it could take from 4-5 hours to a full day or more.

Making your own jerky is labor-intensive, but it's a labor of love and you can make your own for a fraction of the cost of what you can buy it for.

Comment

That's cool that you make your own. I don't really want to have to get a dehydrator or have to make it myself. Just like something that stores and travels well. I usually only eat jerky when I'm traveling and need a snack on the go where I know I can't get decent food.

Comment

Robb wolf makes some jerky that's grass fed over at PaleoBrands. Can't speak to the taste because I haven't had it yet - I'm getting it for Christmas. I'll let you know how it goes.
                            Check out my blog at www.themedstudentblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah I tried the jerky from PaleoBrands, it was absolutely disgusting, as was all the products I bought from them.

Originally posted by Primalest View Post
                              Robb wolf makes some jerky that's grass fed over at PaleoBrands. Can't speak to the taste because I haven't had it yet - I'm getting it for Christmas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X