Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to eat before a morning workout at the gym ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat before a morning workout at the gym ??

I'm new at all this, but feeling good after 3 days on the plan.

I do moderate cardio (treadmill and/or elliptical) at the gym 3 morning a week and meet a friend there at 8:30 a.m.

I get up between 6:30 and 7:00.

Pre-primal, I would have a small bowl of oatmeal with a little 2% milk and a banana. That gave me enough energy to do an hour of moderately paced walking on the treadmill... and sat in my stomach nicely with no problems.

Now I don't know what to eat before going to the gym. I can't imagine exercising on a stomach full of bacon and eggs and veggies.

Thoughts? Advice?

I'm 66 years young if that makes any difference.

ETA: I do weight workouts to Cathe Friedrich DVDs at home 3 times a week.

Workout on an empty stomach if you can. Have a cup of coffee or a piece of fruit if you really need it, but you'd be amazed at what your body can do when it isn't weighed down with food!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

if it were me I would do a big cup of coffee with either coconut milk or heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. If you are not a coffee drinker think about doing a green smoothie with coconut milk, berries and some greens.

Comment

My routine: coffee, BCAA'S, and a banana.

I generally wake around 7-8 and am in the gym from 9-1030 doing heavy barbell training. For the longest time I was training completely fasted, on just a large cup of coffee. But I found I was having great difficulty finishing my workouts and recovering for the next session once i started measuring weights as multiples of my bodyweight.

If I'm just doing sprints or bodyweight training I stay completely fasted. Moderate walking you should be fine on an empty stomach; your body is perfectly adapted to walk 3 miles after not eating for 14 hours.

Comment

Thanks everyone !! CE402 - what are BCAAs ???

This morning, I did 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 7 whole plain almonds and my usual large mug of coffee with real half n half.

I did 1 1/4 hours of moderately paced walking on the treadmill.

At 11:00 a.m. I had 2 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 baby red potatoes boiled and then slathered with butter and some decaf coffee with half n half.

That worked well.... but I'll try gradually reducing the pre-workout food a little and see how that feels.....

Why do you recommend working out on an empty stomach? I'm trying to learn......

TIA

Comment

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of working out on a totally empty stomach. I find that if I have a piece of fruit or two before working out, I have a lot more energy during and after the workout. I wouldn't eat any fat prior, however. Save that for later. Try having a ripe banana!

Comment

Originally posted by SusanMcL View Post
              Thanks everyone !! CE402 - what are BCAAs ???

This morning, I did 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 7 whole plain almonds and my usual large mug of coffee with real half n half.

I did 1 1/4 hours of moderately paced walking on the treadmill.

At 11:00 a.m. I had 2 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 baby red potatoes boiled and then slathered with butter and some decaf coffee with half n half.

That worked well.... but I'll try gradually reducing the pre-workout food a little and see how that feels.....

Why do you recommend working out on an empty stomach? I'm trying to learn......

TIA
              Branched-Chain Amino Acids. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend them for what you're doing; their benefit comes into play during vigorous training, especially in a fasted state. They reduce muscle catabolization and fatigue and promotes recovery.

Comment

If I'm going to the gym early after awakening, I find that a sliced banana with a couple of strawberries mixed with greek yogurt will give me the quick energy I need, along with a mug of coffee blended with baking cocoa and cinnamon. If I'm going two or three hours later, then a regular breakfast of bacon, eggs, and coffee will provide lots of energy without any ill effects.

Comment

I usually don't eat anything apart from some BCAA's.
                  www.paleotrainingbible.com

Comment

Then i take some kind of juice.
                    Thanks.

Comment

I, too, train fasted, with 5g BCAA before workout and mid-morning, and meal at noon-1-ish. Leangains protocol, basically. Have not had any problems with fatigue, but my workouts are fairly short and intense. Recently have started with a mug-and-a-half of Bulletproof Coffee** as part of my morning routine, though I have not quantified any difference in the workout. Except perhaps a greater sense of urgency.

(**fancy coffee blended with grass fed butter and coconut oil)

Comment

I used to train fasted on coffee if I work out early, but I stopped drinking coffee. Now I really like training with a pre-workout meal as per Lyle McDonald's suggestion. It's 30 g carbs/15 h protein, and the most convenient/primal way of getting it for me is ~ 150 g of sweet potato with 4 egg whites. Sometimes I broil s. potatoes and make a mini-hash brown from it, and sometimes I zoop boiled s. potato with egg whites in the magic bullet and micro it into a souffle of sorts. I try to avoid sweet things in the morning, since I notice it sets me up for a day of sweet cravings.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

I'm experimenting with various combos.....

one egg and 7 whole almonds
                          1/2 cup Greek yogurt with blueberries
                          6 slices of bacon and 7 whole almonds
                          6 slices of bacon and a banana
                          one egg and a banana
                          one egg and 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

and... of course... my morning coffee.... can't do anything without that.. lol

all of the above seem to be working..

have not tried working out on an empty stomach yet, but will give it a try.

again... many thanks !!

Comment

Working...
                          X