To much fat???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To much fat???

Is it possible to eat too much fat? My brain has been "low-fat" programmed for so long, I think I may be overdoing it on the fat. I'm enjoying lots of bacon and butter, but scared I'm using the primal lifestyle as an excuse to over-indulge on the fats. For example in a full days time, I may eat this much fat: 2T of almond butter, a hand full of nuts/seed mix, 2-3T olive oil, 2T butter and 1-2T coconut oil for cooking. This is not including eggs and bacon. The SAD would say I am a heart attack waiting to happen, but need advice on this.

You'll get used to it.

Comment

That's not very much.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

trachelle - 3 days into this program and I have the same worry.... bacon and eggs for breakfast, lots of butter, meat, olive oil, avocados and on and on the list goes. Not to mention the whipped cream that I had on my fresh blueberries for dessert :-)

My brain has been programmed for so long to eat low fat and lots of whole grains, that this is scary.

But I knew that all the wheat I was eating was not doing me any good... I was lethargic all the time and had intestinal issues ... and I knew it was the wheat.. the more I ate, the worse I felt......... so I started Googling and landed here and on Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution website.

It sure sounds like a great plan....... :-)

Comment

I felt the same and am still struggling mentally (not to mention the looks from my DH at what I'm eating). Try plugging your food intake into fitday or similar to check what % of your calories are fat. I am still freaking out that the majority of my calories are coming from sat fat. Eeek! But it's all good - early on I felt like I couldn't get enough but that's eased off now. Hang in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            That's not very much.
            This

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but I have the same question... but I eat a lot more fat. Is this too much?

My daily fat sources:
              5 x whole eggs (sometimes more yolks, less whites)
              40-70g organic grass-fed butter
              200g fatty fish (approx 20g natural fish fats)
              Handful of nuts (not every day)
              300g fatty cut of meat (ribeye fillet, chicken with skin or salmon)
              Twice a week indulgence in double cream and blueberries

I'm 11% bodyfat and have reasonable muscle and I'm not getting fat eating these.

Comment

Originally posted by SusanMcL View Post
                But I knew that all the wheat I was eating was not doing me any good... I was lethargic all the time and had intestinal issues ... and I knew it was the wheat.. the more I ate, the worse I felt........)
                Ditto!!! I had so many problems (esp. intestinal) associated with grains that have disappeared since I began primal. I definitely feel better, but will be interested to compare blood work when I go back to my doctor in 6 months for a check-up.

Comment

Originally posted by mamacaz View Post
                  Try plugging your food intake into fitday or similar to check what % of your calories are fat. I am still freaking out that the majority of my calories are coming from sat fat. Eeek! But it's all good - early on I felt like I couldn't get enough but that's eased off now.
                  Does Mark ever mention percentages of fats, proteins, carbs that you should have each meal in his book? I don't recall reading anything about that. Again, I am so brainwashed by eating plans and diets (Zone, which is a good program) that I am having a hard time thinking outside the box. I'll just keep at it. I'm feeling better, so that means a lot!!!

Comment

I usually get around 50-60% of calories in a day from fat. Not sure about the ratios of other macro-nutrients that I average on but I tend to stay between 25-75 grams of carbs in a day and 100-150 grams of protein in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by trachelle View Post
                      Does Mark ever mention percentages of fats, proteins, carbs that you should have each meal in his book? I don't recall reading anything about that. Again, I am so brainwashed by eating plans and diets (Zone, which is a good program) that I am having a hard time thinking outside the box. I'll just keep at it. I'm feeling better, so that means a lot!!!
                      Trachelle, I am struggling with many of the same issues as you. I am starting to get the feeling that the core essence of primal eating is about what you do NOT eat. The core idea is to remove grains, foods that easily convert to sugar, foods with added sugars, and polyunsaturated fats. Supporting those changes requires some really good label-reading skills. For example, Fage Greek yogurt has 8 grams of carbohydrates from lactose per cup (no added sugar). Go look at other nonfat yogurts and you will find many have cane sugar, or high fructose corn syrup added, and the sugars give 30g+ per cup. I have a salad dressing I really like. But reading the label it is loaded with polyunsaturated fats. Once you understand the essential ideas of the Primal lifestyle, implementing them can be non trivial if you don't learn to read labels.

Just removing grains will lower the carbohydrate composition in your diet a lot. But beyond that, if you want to start talking about specific percentage targets for carbs, protein, and fat, I think things get murky. Consider cultures like the Kitivan that seem to get 60%+ of their calories from carbs, yet have no real problem with heart disease:

Kitavan Diet: High Carb but no heart disease

But the Kitivan appear to get those carbs from complex vegetable sources and roots of tubers. What they share in common with Paleo / Primal is the avoidance of grains, simple sugars, and poly fats. As long as you follow the core principals, I get the feeling you can adopt a pretty wide range of carbo/fat/protein targets.

Comment

I'm pretty new at this and I am still reading through the PB book, but I remember Mark mentioning somewhere that you should determine your macronutrients according to the following:

1. Determine protein requirements- 0.8g -1.0g per pound of lean body mass.
                        2. Determine your carbohydrate needs based on the Carbohydrate Curve (50g and below for ketosis, 50g-100g for weight loss sweet spot, 100g-150g for maintenance).
                        3. The remainder of your caloric needs come from fats.

I guess you should try to determine a general range for caloric intake based on your goals (weight loss, weight maintenance or weight gain) and go from there. This is all just a general ballpark though. Guess the important thing is to listen to your body and eat when you're hungry and not eating if not hungry within the general guidelines.

Someone please correct me if I have given any wrong information as I'm still learning about all this myself.

I will try to find the link to the exact post where Mark discusses this and post it here.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiji View Post
                          I'm pretty new at this and I am still reading through the PB book, but I remember Mark mentioning somewhere that you should determine your macronutrients according to the following:

1. Determine protein requirements- 0.8g -1.0g per pound of lean body mass.
                          2. Determine your carbohydrate needs based on the Carbohydrate Curve (50g and below for ketosis, 50g-100g for weight loss sweet spot, 100g-150g for maintenance).
                          3. The remainder of your caloric needs come from fats.

I guess you should try to determine a general range for caloric intake based on your goals (weight loss, weight maintenance or weight gain) and go from there. This is all just a general ballpark though. Guess the important thing is to listen to your body and eat when you're hungry and not eating if not hungry within the general guidelines.

Someone please correct me if I have given any wrong information as I'm still learning about all this myself.

I will try to find the link to the exact post where Mark discusses this and post it here.

Hope that helps.
                          Does anyone know where we can find a list of nutritionists who subscribe to Primal diet / lifestyle who could help analyze diets against the metric Fiji is giving here?

Comment

This is the post where Mark mentions macronutrients. Not much guidance on fats, although he does say to use it "sensibly." Ah yes, sense and sensibility. Moderation in everything.

Oh, and the protein guide is 0.7g to 1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass depending on activity levels. He also says in various places that sometimes it's okay to exceed 100 grams of protein but not too much above your protein requirements or else your body will turn the protein to glucose and store it as fat. Also, looking through posts of some serious hard core Groks on this site, some tend to up the carbs on really active days/heavy lifting days. This whole thing can get pretty complicated if you let it be. I'm just a beginner so I'll stick with just a rule of thumb for now .

How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by westes View Post
                              Does anyone know where we can find a list of nutritionists who subscribe to Primal diet / lifestyle who could help analyze diets against the metric Fiji is giving here?
                              Have you tried logging your foods in fitday.com or livestrong.com just to get a general idea? Might be helpful to get some sense of how much you are taking in until you are able to seek the help of a professional if that is your preference.

I had a skinfold test done by my trainer to determine lean body mass. There are tools on the internet that can help you get a ballpark too based on your height and weight. I put my info to compare and it was fairly close to the results of the skinfold test: Lean Body Mass Calculator - Calculate your lean weight in just a few seconds!.
                              Last edited by Fiji; 12-19-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X