Yogurt in Primal Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogurt in Primal Diet?

I am confused by what role - if any - yogurt should play in a Primal diet. After searching this topic on Mark's site, I am even more confused than before I began reading.

I gather many yogurts are filled with sugar. My questions are:

1) What brands should we be buying?

2) What is the approximate nutritional composition of a yogurt that is healthy by Primal standards? The lowfat plain yogurt I buy at Trader Joes has this breakdown per serving:

Saturated fat: 2.5g
    Sugars 9g
    Protein 11g

3) I'm very suspect of getting my fat from a dairy source, but I guess there is no alternative for yogurt?

Look at the ingredients, if there is no added sugar then the sugars on the nutritional panel is from the naturally occurring lactose, eg the one I eat has 8.4g sugars per 100g, but no added sugars. Full fat is better, they've messed with it less...
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

One of my many frustrations with yogurt labels is that they never give a breakdown of the sugars by type. I never know how much of that sugar is the naturally occurring lactose and how much is added sucrose or - god forbid - high fructose corn syrup. That's all the more reason why I want advice on specific brands that others have researched in depth.

What is the theory regarding lactose in yogurt? Is the idea that the bacteria will digest the lactose and as a result the body will not digest it as sugar at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ljq309 View Post
        Look at the ingredients, if there is no added sugar then the sugars on the nutritional panel is from the naturally occurring lactose, eg the one I eat has 8.4g sugars per 100g, but no added sugars. Full fat is better, they've messed with it less...
        And if the lactose is going to be digested by the bacteria, then does it make any sense to use nonfat yogurt and try to get your fats from healthier sources than dairy?

Comment

Yogurt is a big part of my Primal diet but I'll be damned if I can figure out why anyone would buy the stuff, it's SO easy to make. Organic cow or goat's milk, & and some starter from your last batch. No label-reading required.

Comment

My breakfast this morning: Full fat greek yogurt (Fage) plus 3 tbls. full fat coconut milk, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb protein powder, stevia and cinnamon to taste.
            Tied me over for a long time which is important, and it's a nice alternative to eggs.

Comment

I wouldn't be opposed to a cup of full fat greek yogurt, some wild berries and chopped almonds as a snack...sounds delicious. I'm about to start eating primally going with two main meals per day and a couple of snacks. (While I've been preparing for the shift in lifestyle, I've found that meals high in fat but low in processed carbs make me feel full forever.)

Comment

Originally posted by Laksmi View Post
                My breakfast this morning: Full fat greek yogurt (Fage) plus 3 tbls. full fat coconut milk, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb protein powder, stevia and cinnamon to taste.
                Tied me over for a long time which is important, and it's a nice alternative to eggs.
                Why full fat instead of 2%?

Comment

Because naturally occurring fat in meat, milk, and nuts is good for you!

Read about it here:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz1gtipJRQv

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
                    Because naturally occurring fat in meat, milk, and nuts is good for you!

Read about it here:
                    The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple
                    Hi Finnabair. I'm totally with you about fat in nuts and meat (at least lean meats that are grass fed). But dairy I wonder about. Even Mark's blog on dairy here:

The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

contains the statement "Our bodies definitely recognize dairy as food, even foreign bovine dairy. But is it good nutrition?...I don’t know. I’m not sure anyone really does, in fact, which is why I place dairy firmly in Primal limbo."

To me that position has a lot of intellectual integrity, and he isn't trying to assert an opinion just because he can. If dairy fats are in limbo, is there a reason to maybe cut back on full fat yogurts? I understand dairy fat questions may be controversial. I'm just trying to understand the arguments in favor of dairy fat.

Comment

My body gets all boogery if I eat it, so I don't. Dairy is weird to start with. We don't need it remotely, yet tons of people insist on consuming it.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Stay away from diary since its highly inflammatory food. I tried to make home made kefir from a2 raw milk it ripped my GI tract apart. I always recommend people remove dairy unless its organic goat or sheep based. Too many hormones, too many people I am finding with hidden food allergies from milk and dairy. Organic butter is one exception to dairy since it crucial for cell membrane function and stablity.

Comment

While I won't deny that it makes me mucousy, most of the best nutrition from dairy is in the fat. That's why we like butter and cream so much.

I've cut back on dairy quite a bit lately, but I feel like I've filled its place with other things that are worse and I'm gaining fat anyways.

I think I'm going to up my yogurt intake again, and keep the milk intake down. I don't think the yogurt does the same thing to my sinuses as milk.

Sheep's milk is a good substitute, and if can get some without all kinds of artificial crap in it, coconut milk kefir and yogurt isn't too bad either.

Comment

We eat dairy almost daily (organic grass-fed raw cheese, yogurt, milk to cook or for tea and hot chocolate). Never had a problem with dairy.

We stopped buying commercial yogurt and decided to make our own yogurt. Even organic grass-fed yogurt has added sugars, stabilizers and other additives to make it taste and look the way commercial yogurts do. Most yogurts have milk powder which is processed and contains oxidized cholesterol, which you do not want to consume. I believe Fage (Greek style) does not contain milk powder but it does not come from grass-fed animals.

My mom used to make homemade yogurt when I was growing up so I am use to the taste and texture.

We made homemade yogurt from organic grass-fed raw or unhomogenized whole milk and/or cream. Low-fat and skim milk are highly processed and contain additives and milk powder.

It is fairly easy to make and more so if you buy a yogurt maker. However, you do not need a yogurt maker. We do not add any sugars, milk powders, or stabilizers. So the only sugars, if any, come from whatever sugars the cultures failed to digest. If you let the yogurt incubate for long, pretty much all of the sugar will be gone. The yogurt tastes more tart and acidic than commercial yogurt. However, we do not like overly sweet things so we love it. We just add some chopped fresh fruits to it if we want some level of sweetness.

Comment

Originally posted by westes View Post
                              Hi Finnabair. I'm totally with you about fat in nuts and meat (at least lean meats that are grass fed). But dairy I wonder about. Even Mark's blog on dairy here:

The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

contains the statement "Our bodies definitely recognize dairy as food, even foreign bovine dairy. But is it good nutrition?...I don’t know. I’m not sure anyone really does, in fact, which is why I place dairy firmly in Primal limbo."

To me that position has a lot of intellectual integrity, and he isn't trying to assert an opinion just because he can. If dairy fats are in limbo, is there a reason to maybe cut back on full fat yogurts? I understand dairy fat questions may be controversial. I'm just trying to understand the arguments in favor of dairy fat.
                              You've made a leap that it's the fat in the dairy that is the problem. It is not. It is the casein (a protein) or the lactose (a sugar). The fat is where the vitamins are.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X