Coconut ketones can prevent or even reverse Alzheimer's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut ketones can prevent or even reverse Alzheimer's

Hi everyone. I've not posted before except to introduce myself but I saw this article posted on Facebook and thought it was definitely worth sharing. Apologies if this is common knowledge on these forums

Conquering Alzheimers with Coconut Ketones

The gist is that Alzheimer's involves the brain ceasing to be able to utilise glucose for energy, and so switching to a low carb diet and, particularly, introducing coconut oil as a supplement, can prevent and even reverse the disease. The whole article seems to strongly imply that ketones are a much preferable source of energy for the brain, and that a low carb diet is more brain-friendly.

I realise the source might be biased (judging from the website name...) and I haven't looked into any opposing information for all this, but thought this could at least spark some conversation

I wonder if being Primal is enough by itself to prevent Alzheimer's, as the small amount of carbs we get from veg might prevent ketosis?

Here is another similar article:
    Coconut Oil and Alzheimer?s Disease | Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

There are plenty more reasons to eat coconut oil:
    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides
    Nutrition Review - Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)

We take CO in our coffee, tea and cook with it. I put MCT Oil in my salads.

The BEST Coconut Oil is Nutivia with free shipping from Amazon.Com/ We just ordered 4-52 ounce jars.
    Grizz

Comment

I've heard that before too. One of the nutrition podcasts (I forget which one, but I think it was a couple of them anyway) had an interview with Mary Newport about her husband, Steve. She's mentioned in the Coconut Research Center article.

I can't say anything as to coconut oil being any kind of miracle cure, but even my highly CW mom knew Alzheimer's has now been nicknamed "Type 3 Diabetes" due to it's connection with blood sugar levels causing damage. And I believe coconut water was used during WWII in place of plasma since it mimics our blood quite well. So coconut oil being helpful isn't really that much of a stretch, though I would definitely use it in conjunction with avoiding the SAD crap in the first place.
      Durp.

Comment

I swear my husband used to act like he was getting Alzheimer's, but he's much better after a couple years of giving up wheat and eating lots and lots of coconut oil. (He's 53 now.) Which isn't to say that he no longer asks me questions about things I just told him, but now it's because he isn't paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
          Which isn't to say that he no longer asks me questions about things I just told him, but now it's because he isn't paying attention.
          You'd have to remove the Y chromosome to fix that. Just sayin.

;^)
          Durp.

Comment

I really enjoyed all the links on this topic. To use coconut oil or to not? I have recently been trying to figure this one out. I'm strict Paleo right now, and trying to keep my saturated fat under 15 grams (Swank/Best Bet Diet for MS) and in general trying to keep all my fats (omega 3/6, etc...) in balance. I've been really wanting to include some coconut oil, but I've been reticent due to the sat fat.

Does anyone know anyone with MS or other autoimmune diseases that have successfully incorportated coconut oil into their diets? I'd love to hear about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
              I really enjoyed all the links on this topic. To use coconut oil or to not? I have recently been trying to figure this one out. I'm strict Paleo right now, and trying to keep my saturated fat under 15 grams (Swank/Best Bet Diet for MS) and in general trying to keep all my fats (omega 3/6, etc...) in balance. I've been really wanting to include some coconut oil, but I've been reticent due to the sat fat.

Does anyone know anyone with MS or other autoimmune diseases that have successfully incorportated coconut oil into their diets? I'd love to hear about it.
              Saturated fat is not evil.
              Durp.

Comment

I have grave's disease. 2 months into eating clean (with LOTS of butter and coconut oil) i am off my meds- testing for remission. That is after 3 YEARS of not having a normal hormone level with meds.
                I think good fats are vital to curing/alleviating autoimmune issues. I don't have any scientific evidence, just my own body finally getting back to normal...
                my diet consists of approx 50-60% fat....

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                  The BEST Coconut Oil is Nutivia with free shipping from Amazon.Com/ We just ordered 4-52 ounce jars.
                  Grizz
                  May I humbly suggest that Tropical Traditions is an ever better brand. They have regular specials where you can get their oil for a fantastic price

Welcome to Tropical Traditions

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

also, you may want to check out this link....TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

Comment

Kestrel,

Which one? The Green Label or the Gold Label? What is the difference between them?

Why is it better than Nutivia?

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Alainneire View Post
                        Thanks, Alainneire! I've watched that Terry Wahls video, it's awesome. She mentions the importance of eating grassfed meat, but doesn't say anything specifically about fat, or different types of fat.

Congrats on conquering Grave's! How much fat do you eat on average - and how much of it comes from coconut oil vs. other sources?

Comment

ChivalryUK
                          Alzheimer's is sometimes referred to as type 3 diabetes. Metabolic dysfunction, resulting hyperglycemia and low EPA+DHA seems to be at the root of Alzheimer's. Seeing as primal improves things like insulin resistance, hyperglycemia and has more EPA+DHA than the SAD - I think you're pretty safe. Remember these diseases are supposed to happen, your body takes a lot of beatings before it regresses into a disease state. Not everyone has had access to coconut or were in ketosis, but they didn't get Alzheimer's.

More Alzheimer's
                          Evolutionary Psychiatry: Map

BestBetter
                          Saturated fats have no role in autoimmune disease. That author's limit is likely born out of the whole saturated fat causes disease of the month bashing that has been going on in the media. There is no reason to limit them. In fact lauric acid, the main fatty acid in coconut seems to heal the small intestine. All autoimmune disease (MS included) has a leaky gut component and a protein (like a lectin) that triggers an autoimmune attack. There is some talk that autoimmune disease may be caused by pathogens in some cases. Guess what, lauric acid is antimicrobial. It's a pretty neat fatty acid.
                          http://thepaleopremise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stevenhamley View Post
                            ChivalryUK
                            Alzheimer's is sometimes referred to as type 3 diabetes. Metabolic dysfunction, resulting hyperglycemia and low EPA+DHA seems to be at the root of Alzheimer's. Seeing as primal improves things like insulin resistance, hyperglycemia and has more EPA+DHA than the SAD - I think you're pretty safe. Remember these diseases are supposed to happen, your body takes a lot of beatings before it regresses into a disease state. Not everyone has had access to coconut or were in ketosis, but they didn't get Alzheimer's.

More Alzheimer's
                            Evolutionary Psychiatry: Map

BestBetter
                            Saturated fats have no role in autoimmune disease. That author's limit is likely born out of the whole saturated fat causes disease of the month bashing that has been going on in the media. There is no reason to limit them. In fact lauric acid, the main fatty acid in coconut seems to heal the small intestine. All autoimmune disease (MS included) has a leaky gut component and a protein (like a lectin) that triggers an autoimmune attack. There is some talk that autoimmune disease may be caused by pathogens in some cases. Guess what, lauric acid is antimicrobial. It's a pretty neat fatty acid.
                            Stevenhamley, I'm not sure where you got the idea that saturated fats have no role in autoimmune diseases. In my seemingly never-ending research on this topic, saturated animal fats are repeatedly mentioned as contributors of chronic inflammation, which is a key player (along with leaky gut) in autoimmune diseases. Below is one link to info on the low-saturated fat Swank diet, which involves a 34 year long study of people with MS who followed his diet - it's pretty compelling. There are certain aspects of the Swank diet I dont believe in/adhere to, but I do think he was on to something regarding the role of fats in the diet.

MS Diet | Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis

I'm interested in people who've had experience treating autoimmune disorders with coconut oil/MCT. People expressing their opinion that 'saturated fat is good' doesn't really help anything. Everyone's got a different viewpoint on fats, and I'm not about to tell Primal people I disagree with what they're doing - if you found something that makes you feel good and healthy, go for it.

Comment

Thanks, Alainneire! I've watched that Terry Wahls video, it's awesome. She mentions the importance of eating grassfed meat, but doesn't say anything specifically about fat, or different types of fat.

Congrats on conquering Grave's! How much fat do you eat on average - and how much of it comes from coconut oil vs. other sources?
                              She doesn't mention specific fats - but she does promote eating organ meats which are HIGH in saturated fat

I personally get my fats mostly from butter and coconut oil. Those are the two fats i cook with and i start every morning with my "bulletproof" tea (hot green tea with 1 tbsp kerrygold unsalted butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, some fresh ginger, blended together) That's it for "added" fats, the rest come through cooking in the fats and adding butter to veggies... at the moment, I cannot afford grass fed beef other than ground, so - as Mark suggests- i eat leaner cuts of conventionally raised beef. I do eat chicken (free range) and bacon (not everyday) but when i plug in my foods in fitday or this new paleo site (which rocks btw) it comes out that about 50-60% of my calories are from fat, 20 -30% from protein and the rest from carbs.... I didn't design it that way, it is just how it usually comes out with this way of eating for me....

I hope this helps! I understand what it is like to deal with a chronic illness and wanting to take control of your body!

On a side note, i know i had a LOT of anxiety along with my Graves, and this way of eating has helped TREMENDOUSLY in that area as well!}

Comment

Working...
                              X