Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I believe Dark Chocolate is toxic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I believe Dark Chocolate is toxic

    I've been primal for almost 2 years. (never eaten dark chocolate in my life)
    I skin complexion is that of a healthy one, even toned , no dark circles and pinkish cheeks. My eyes are clear and focused.

    Here is the thing. I bought dark choclate (80%, no soy lecithin, no sugars, nothing bad in it) because I've heard that it raises HDL. So with my upcoming blood test I decided to indulge in a bit of dark choclate every day to increase my 'good' cholesterol.

    I ate 2 thin strips in the evening, and the next morning I looked like sh*t for the first time in a looooong time. I looked grey, my teeth looked grey, the entire face looked sick like I ate a bunch of toxins and are ready to throw them up.
    My eyes were surrounded by black circles and I looked dehydrated, eyeballs looked sucked in.
    I also felt weird and was craving a ton of red meat.
    The only explanation I have is the extremely high amount of phytic acid that's in cocoa. My salivary glands felt weird, too. Dried up and like I'm spitting up ashes...it was disgusting.

    I personally think there is something wrong with cocoa.

  • #2
    some people definitely are sensitive to it, sounds like you're one of them :C

    Comment


    • #3
      When I eat dark chocolate if its not just a small amount.. (a full square or more) my stomach hurts. Maybe the same reason why a large amount of white rice bothers me. They both contain phytic acid. Lucky I'm not a fan of dark chocolate anyways so no big loss. I'd rather indulge in some very creamy chocolate ice cream once in a blue moon which does not bother me unless I have too much sugar. Too much sugar (which is not a lot these days) does bother me. My sensitivities seem to be increasing.
      Primal since March 2011

      Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        I will say this, since going primal I haven't had one zit! I used to get one or two around that time of the month.
        Primal since March 2011

        Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

        Comment


        • #5
          I have that reaction to dark chocolate now too, and I used to eat extremely good quality bars by the bar (literally). I can't eat them right before sleeping now since I have a fitful sleep and wake up dehydrated. I think it has to do with higher sensitivities to caffeine, but it could also be the phytic acid =x Trying to wean off my addictions right now, and chocolate is last on my list xD
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • #6
            How late did you eat them? I know I can't have dark chocolate past say 4:30/5ish or I don't sleep well that night.

            Comment


            • #7
              Interesting! I don't find that result at all with dark chocolate. (Although there are a host of other things that cause negative affects for me - there are the usual non-primal things + egg whites + most RAW veggies.)

              I wonder if it is the phytic acid... I assume you don't eat nuts or anything else with much of that in it? Or the caffeine (even the small amount)?

              Comment


              • #8
                I get caffeine in the morning in the form of self-brewed weak coffee or tea, but I can't drink even a small Starbucks coffee past noon, or I have a difficult time sleeping. So I do think it is the culprit for my poorer quality sleep when I do have it.

                Although the main difference from me and most people is that I eat an entire 80-100g bar in a sitting before sleeping.

                I didn't eat nuts before and I was having trouble sleeping with chocolate, which is why I think it could have been the phytic acid.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

                Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by activia View Post
                  When I eat dark chocolate if its not just a small amount.. (a full square or more) my stomach hurts.
                  Chocolate and coffee are notorious for causing acid reflux (weakens the valve from the esophogus to the stomach). If I have two squares of chocolate a day for mroe than a few days, I can feel it. I can't drink coffee at all.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dark chocolate gives me a freaking migraine every time.
                    Durp.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I eat dark chocolate (85%) a few times a week. Haven't noticed any health effects because of it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oxide View Post
                        Chocolate and coffee are notorious for causing acid reflux (weakens the valve from the esophogus to the stomach). If I have two squares of chocolate a day for mroe than a few days, I can feel it. I can't drink coffee at all.
                        OH that explains a lot for me too....
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          do you have issues with all chocolate or just dark?
                          I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

                          You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            -nvm-
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

                            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think chocolate is a vasodilator, right? Only when we eat it in a Reese's or something, it's very diluted. I have a real issue with vasodilators like sodium nitrite, so I think that's the problem. Regular chocolate doesn't mess with me (if you discount all of the other crap in it that isn't good), but dark chocolate is so concentrated that it gives me a migraine.

                              Yes, as a matter of fact, I am a special lil snowflake!
                              ;^)
                              Durp.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X